World Cup Squad. The Excellent and The Poor Choices

Comments

• ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I don't think Smalling is good enough. I'd have picked Stones.

No surprises in the squad. I'd have liked to have seen Andy Carroll as I think he gives you a good route 1 option should you need it. We have no big strikers.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    If they didn't play for United they wouldn't be getting half the sh*t that they are directed towards them.

I think they're just getting negative comments because neither are deserving of being in the squad. For me, whoever they played for, I wouldn't think they deserved a call up.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    JMTD wrote: »
    If they didn't play for United they wouldn't be getting half the sh*t that they are directed towards them.

Yeah probably because they wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be very suprised if England don't make it out of the group stages. Uruguay have some excellent players, but do not have the squad to compare with England, I would consider the tournament a failure if they didn't get out of the group stages IMO.

I know some people have been trying to play the reverse psychology ploy by undermining Englands chances, but really, neither Italy or Uruguay are strong tournament favourites. Italy didn't beat England last time, and most of Englands players play in a league stronger than Italy's.

I know there's plenty saying it will be a good World cup if England fail at the first round regardless, but I disagree, England need to get out of the group stages with the squad they have available.
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think danny ings should of made the reserves? He had a brilliant season at burnley and has scored over 20 goals this season
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get Danny Welbeck. Can anyone explain him?
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    We've gone through so much change in 4 years.

It's a decent looking squad. Looking forward to June.
    He's always done well for England.
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodgson on Lampard: 'He still plays a very important role in his club side'

Can't stop laughing - what, does he make the tea or something?:D
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    adamski94 wrote: »
    Does anyone think danny ings should of made the reserves? He had a brilliant season at burnley and has scored over 20 goals this season

I'd certainly at least have him on the standby list - he comes into the world cup on good form, unlike Danny Welbeck who is still mystifying me as to how he managed to bag a place on the plane.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    My starting XI

Hart
    Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines
    Ox -- Wilshere - Gerrard - Sterling
    Rooney - Sturridge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, one night, Mummy and Daddy Welbeck were feeling very loving and then... you know, birds and bees and stuff.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Add Welbeck to that list too...why he makes the squad is a mystery to me.

Which English striker would you have to replace him?
  • thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    adamski94 wrote: »

If we're suddenly going to start throwing out preposterous suggestions then why not make a case for Jordan Rhodes and Troy Deeney? Both scored more than Ings...
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, one night, Mummy and Daddy Welbeck were feeling very loving and then... you know, birds and bees and stuff.

So you're saying its in the genes? Was daddy Welbeck a defensive striker with a shocking first touch and poor goalscoring record?
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're suddenly going to start throwing out preposterous suggestions then why not make a case for Jordan Rhodes and Troy Deeney? Both scored more than Ings...

jordan rhodes represent scotland
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    My starting XI

Hart
    Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines
    Ox -- Wilshere - Gerrard - Sterling
    Rooney - Sturridge

Hart
    Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Baines
    Gerrard--Wilshere
    Chamberlain----Rooney---Sterling
    Sturridge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which English striker would you have to replace him?

Well, Carroll isn't all that great but he does offer a few other options. Haven't seen Defoe much but it sounds like he's doing OK. So either of those.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Again, Welbeck's always done well for England. And has 8 goals already, including 4 in qualification.

He's also played well coming from a wide position, which gives more options than just a standard striker role. I'd start him, personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're saying its in the genes? Was daddy Welbeck a defensive striker with a shocking first touch and poor goalscoring record?

No, that would be Mummy.:p
  • Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone could justify picking Wilshere over Henderson on the evidence of this season.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame this thread has devolved into people slagging off different players because they don't like the various clubs they play for. We need Premiership fans to get beyond partisan rivalries if we are to get behind the national team.
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »

Hart
    Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Baines
    Gerrard--Wilshere
    Chamberlain----Rooney---Sterling
    Sturridge

Yep my XI was more about naming the players I'd start with than the formation but I agree - Rooney drops back when we don't have the ball and Gerrard/Wilshere sitting, with them both interchanging roles further forward.

I like the pacy attackers England have at their disposal.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a Pool fan but GJ has done nothing since blocking a Man U shot in the second match of the season
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, but some decent attacking midfielders and Sturridge could do a job. I live in hope :p

I guess whether they're decent depends who you compare them with. I couldn't pick 4 out of them that I'd be happy putting up against 8 of the 9 teams with better odds. I agree about Sturridge but he needs a decent team. The best we can hope for from that lot is that they don't concede so many goals that it gets embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    Im a Pool fan but GJ has done nothing since blocking a Man U shot in the second match of the season

As I said earlier, he's lucky Walker misses out due to injury otherwise he wouldn't be making the plane imo.