Options

Lord of the Rings trilogy, theatrical versions on Blu-ray

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
Forum Member
✭✭
I remember reading that the Blu-ray theatrical version of Fellowship isn't so good, but I've bought the trilogy, anyway (it was £5 from Sainsbury's). Is this version of Fellowship really that bad? Is it worse looking than the regular DVD version?

I already have the extended versions on DVD, but I've always found some of the extra scenes irritating (eg Aragorn's response to The Mouth of Sauron, Gimli getting boozed up etc.), and have always fancied owning the theatrical versions as well. If these Blu-rays are really sub-standard, though, I can still return them for a refund if necessary.

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember reading that. I think many people do prefer the Extended Editions over the Theatrical versions, but that doesn't mean the theatrical versions are bad. They are nowhere near bad, just not the definitive versions. TLOTR has an avid fan-base, there are many who love the movies, but there will always be those for whom nothing will ever be good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should have made it clearer........ I'm wondering specifically about the picture quality of the Blu-ray theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring. Is it really bad?

I'd read that Master and Comander didn't look very good on Blu-ray, but I think it looks great.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have made it clearer........ I'm wondering specifically about the picture quality of the Blu-ray theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring. Is it really bad?

I'd read that Master and Comander didn't look very good on Blu-ray, but I think it looks great.

Yeah, the theatrical edition of Fellowship of the Ring was botched. It's still miles better than the DVD but not Blu-ray reference quality. The picture quality of the sequels are definitely solid though so I wouldn't really ask for a refund, especially if you're not willing to but the Extended Editions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I definitely won't be buying the extended versions on Blu-ray. I'll give these ones a go (ie Remove the cellophane wrapper).