Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 13 days on and still nothing its unbelieveable nearly 2 weeks on and nothing has been found of this plane

I have been thinking maybe its terrorism as they would of demanded randsome by now unless there binding their time til they speak out

Can you please stop saying things like 'weird' and 'unbelievable'? Doesn't the search today just prove the point? Even after seeing objects in satellite photos, it has so far been impossible to even find them, given they will have moved. Even now we have a possible lead, it could be some time to locate and identify these items, and then you'll still have to start searching for the rest of it.

It's NOT unbelievable after 13 days! It won't be after 30 days, or even perhaps 300 days!

If the debris spotted on the photos from the 16th is from the plane, the search area will be narrowed down considerably and then there's a greater chance of finding it, but I have no idea how people think a plane that's maybe 60-or-so metres long and wide will stand out in a search area that is many million square metres!
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    It's not that clear why they were searching there because the plane flew for about 7 hours, either South or North. Not much point looking in the Malacca Straits for it really. I think their efforts have been shambolic.
    I don't think it was ever clear that it flew for 7 hours, only that it had the capacity to do so.It could have been anywhere along the 7 hour route, not necessarily at the end of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are these mysterious aircraft thieves going to do?

Pinch another one and do a cut-and-shut to confuse the authorities?
    Then they'll rock up to Tescos and shove a few litres of unleaded in it....
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    I don't think it was ever clear that it flew for 7 hours, only that it had the capacity to do so.It could have been anywhere along the 7 hour route, not necessarily at the end of it.

It was clear from at least March 12th (including to the Malaysian authorities) that it flew for over 7 hours, as announced by Inmarsat today.

True that it doesn't necessarily place it at the extreme ends of the arc but it's reasonable to assume that expert analysis would have deduced that soon afterwards (as it's deduced it now).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It was clear from at least March 12th (including to the Malaysian authorities) that it flew for over 7 hours, as announced by Inmarsat today.

True that it doesn't necessarily place it at the extreme ends of the arc but it's reasonable to assume that expert analysis would have deduced that soon afterwards.
    Ah , right , thanks, I hadn't heard that.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Specifically, the information on estimated flight time and the location corridor was formally handed over to Malaysian authorities on March 12th!

Good on Inmarsat for coming out with this statement. They are unhappy with how it was handled by Malaysia. Inmarsat must have been seething with frustration when the Malaysians insisted on continuing to search close to home instead of widening it like now, and for not telling us all what they knew.

I got the strong impression from a news report last night that the Australians were losing patience with the Malaysian authorities, so rather than passing on information and letting the Malaysian authorities sit on it, the Australians just put it out there for everyone.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the passengers are still strapped in their seats? If they aren't some of them might never be found. Its very sad for all concerned.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Then they'll rock up to Tescos and shove a few litres of unleaded in it....

There's 20p a litre off at the moment. Mind you, the hijackers need to spend £50 for every 2p discount - although that could be spent on food for the hostages I suppose.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the strong impression from a news report last night that the Australians were losing patience with the Malaysian authorities, so rather than passing on information and letting the Malaysian authorities sit on it, the Australians just put it out there for everyone.

I hate to go all conspiracy theory, but I can't make up my mind whether it was incompetence, or something on that plane they really, really wanted to get to first. >:(

Australia ftw. Even if this turns out to be wrong, at least they kept everyone in the loop.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Can you please stop saying things like 'weird' and 'unbelievable'? Doesn't the search today just prove the point? Even after seeing objects in satellite photos, it has so far been impossible to even find them, given they will have moved. Even now we have a possible lead, it could be some time to locate and identify these items, and then you'll still have to start searching for the rest of it.

It's NOT unbelievable after 13 days! It won't be after 30 days, or even perhaps 300 days!

If the debris spotted on the photos from the 16th is from the plane, the search area will be narrowed down considerably and then there's a greater chance of finding it, but I have no idea how people think a plane that's maybe 60-or-so metres long and wide will stand out in a search area that is many million square metres!

And therein lies the problem. There seems to be a great lack of understanding of the distances and area size involved; am convinced that some fms have absolutely no knowledge or comprehension of the size of the oceans in relation to a miniscule plane. The seas are full of floating debris thus confusing the situation as all reports have to be checked. Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of satellite images have to be examined. There is no magic all-seeing eye.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    And therein lies the problem. There seems to be a great lack of understanding of the distances and area size involved; am convinced that some fms have absolutely no knowledge or comprehension of the size of the oceans in relation to a miniscule plane. The seas are full of floating debris thus confusing the situation as all reports have to be checked. Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of satellite images have to be examined. There is no magic all-seeing eye.

Not some veiled reference to a Masonic conspiracy theory, I hope! :D:D
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not some veiled reference to a Masonic conspiracy theory, I hope! :D:D

:o:o:o No!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew it, find one article saying it had to have human intervention, then... http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/20/opinion/goyer-malaysia-flight-objects/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

I'm surprised anyone knows how to get a plane off the ground tbh. ^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China's ice-breaking Snow Dragon research vessel can reach the suspected debris of missing flight MH370 in two days, departing from its current port of Perth in Australia, Chinese officials said yesterday.

The ship was ready to join the search effort if Australia said it was worth investigating satellite images from a remote patch of the southern India Ocean.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott yesterday said the objects spotted were the "best lead they have had so far".

For the time being, only the Xue Long would be dispatched, as other Chinese ships already deployed in the effort in southern waters were too far away, and would need five days to make the trip.

Professor Wang Yanbin, who studied geophysics at the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences and has participated in three Chinese expeditions to the Antarctica on board the Snow Dragon, said the vessel's hi-tech instruments could help locate or retrieve any wreckage submerged or floating on the water.

"The ship has two helicopters that can be deployed to scout for floating debris," he said.

"A former pilot of the helicopter just spoke with me on the phone about possibly using the Snow Dragon in the search. We can do it and we should do it."

Beijing-based naval expert Li Jie said China would not immediately send other ships or aircraft.

"It's too far away from China's territory. China so far will only ask for help from Australian authorities, because their aircraft need to fly just three hours to get there," Li said.

"If China sends its fastest missile destroyer, it would take at least one-and-a-half days."

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1453501/icebreaker-xue-long-standby-join-search-effort-possible-debris
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking News

British satellite company Inmarsat tells the BBC there were very strong indications 10 days ago that the plane would be found either in the southern part of the Indian Ocean or in Central Asia, and not in the South China Sea or the Malacca Straits where Malaysian authorities continued to search.

:o:o
    Just woke today and watched various news channels from 1pm on. Was hoping i'd wake to hear they found MH370 but they are still trying to locate the debris! :o

Interesting interview with an Indian Ships Captain (long haired guy who looked more like a Rock band member!) who regularly sails that part of the ocean and said there is lots of rubbish floating around there.

The Inmarsat statement is quite damning to say the least. Why on earth were the Malaysians not heeding their advice? :confused: There will be considerable anger over this and i imagine in time to come some 'heads will roll'.

Good to see old Blighty has sent out a tub. Blimey.....is this all that's left of the Great British Navy? Looks like a scrapper. :o:o
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    It's not that clear why they were searching there because the plane flew for about 7 hours, either South or North. Not much point looking in the Malacca Straits for it really. I think their efforts have been shambolic.

It is increasingly looking that way, one then wonders if it is incompetence or deliberate. It doesn't help that some countries are delaying giving permission for other countries military to fly over their airspace as part of the search.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Just woke today and watched various news channels from 1pm on. Was hoping i'd wake to hear they found MH370 but they are still trying to locate the debris! :o

Latest is search called off for tonight and will resume tomorrow (Australia time).

I'm gawking at pictures like an idiot. It's weird how the internet made the world feel so much smaller than it really is.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are vast areas of the ocean that are totally unexplored and unreachable with current technology, I can easily see how a plane can sink without detection for a long time. I hope tomorrow's search brings some results to this mystery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Latest is search called off for tonight and will resume tomorrow (Australia time).

I'm gawking at pictures like an idiot. It's weird how the internet made the world feel so much smaller than it really is.

yea, i was googling pictures too :(
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Must admit i find the ship tracking site fascinating;
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

I'm searching around to see if i can locate one of Abramovich's fleet of 'ships'. Someone with his financial clobber could be helping......whats a couple of billion to someone like him? :cool:
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I'm searching around to see if i can locate one of Abramovich's fleet of 'ships'. Someone with his financial clobber could be helping......whats a couple of billion to someone like him? :cool:

Still quite a bit considering that, at the last count, he was still worth 'only' US$13.4 billion... so a couple of billion is a fair few positions on the Forbes richlist, at least :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Been busy today so I haven't caught up with the news, but I take it from this page that the Debris found this morning turned out not to be MH370 then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Been busy today so I haven't caught up with the news, but I take it from this page that the Debris found this morning turned out not to be MH370 then?

It's unknown atm, they haven't located them yet.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

Aye, there are probably thousands of large bit's of debris in the search area that could confuse the search, people don't realise that there are containers (40 foot shipping containers) lost off ships on a regular basis, let alone bits of rubbish, wreckage from tsunamis and hurricanes (I think it took about two years for some of the stuff from the Indonesian tsunami to make landfall in another country, and there is still some of it out there).
    Even whales are showing up on some of the pictures and have to be discounted as they can be big enough to look like a partially submerged bit of wreckage.

From what I remember reading it's not too uncommon when S&R go out on a big hunt in some parts of the world for them to find things like lifeboats from ships that they're not looking for (either old ones, or ones that have been knocked off the ship in bad weather or due to poor maintinence), to the point where they actually have a SOP along the lines of, record the location it was found, take pictures and note any forms of ID, then sink it so it doesn't cause further confusion (as it's not worth them trying to recover it given the low value of them, and the high cost of running the ship/aircraft and need to get on with the search).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

I don't think they have found it yet....only seen on satellite.
This discussion has been closed.