New marvel films officaly announced

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Its not overkill for marvel to do 3 films a year. Its overkill that we also have 3 dc comic book films from wb 1 from Sony and 1 -2 a year from fox on top of the 3 from marvel. That's potentially 9 a year in 2016 onwards. That more than double on what we got from marvel/dc this year. That doesn't include arrow flash Gotham and shield tv series from both of them and the mini series we also got coming. It just seems that the market is going to be flooded with films and shows from marvel/dc

That's my point, maybe three Marvel movies a year is OK, it's when everyone else tries to match them, that you get the problem.

And you haven't even included Constantine and Agent Carter in your TV shows list, never mind the still in development Supergirl...
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not overkill for marvel to do 3 films a year. Its overkill that we also have 3 dc comic book films from wb 1 from Sony and 1 -2 a year from fox on top of the 3 from marvel. That's potentially 9 a year in 2016 onwards. That more than double on what we got from marvel/dc this year. That doesn't include arrow flash Gotham and shield tv series from both of them and the mini series we also got coming. It just seems that the market is going to be flooded with films and shows from marvel/dc

but its not a bad thing is it? its a great time for fans of the genre.

no need for negativity imo. the marvel event yesterday was so big because majority want this.

if box offices consistently show that people have had enough thats different, but nothing to suggest thats the case right now. its just guess work to say it will happen.
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

no need for negativity imo. the marvel event yesterday was so big because majority want this.

if box offices consistently show that people have had enough thats different, but nothing to suggest thats the case right now. its just guess work to say it will happen.

Actually, it may be a bad thing, especially for fans of the genre.

If the subsequent rush of film and TV shows burns the genre out, it may be a long time before anybody attempts it again. So in reality, it could very easily backfire for fans more than casual viewers...
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive not being negative. I just think 9 a year is too much. As much as I enjoy comic book adaptations its got a shelf life (everything does). Its fine at the moment. As there is only about 4 this year. Look at the spy genre in the 60s or scifi post star wars both disappeared for a while after the market got far too oversaturated and people eventually got fed up of them. I just don't want it to burn itself out. I do think with the box office will eventually be hit by it. With the cost of cinema tickets for families being very expensive I can see some familes having to choose which ones they want to go to. Going to cinema to see 3 -4 comic book films a year is justifiable but 9 I can see it being less affordable or justifiable to them. I read that in total there are over 40 comic book adaptations being planned between now and 2020. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I like ice cream but if I had it all the time I would end up getting bored with it. Its good to see comic book adaptations and it feels special but 8-9 a year would stop making them feel special and I doubt id be the only one..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so you want marvel to slow down their phase because dc are also making movies?

if its not negative its fearful imo, just enjoy the ride.
    Forum Member

DC, Sony, Fox, Lionsgate will probably muscle in at some point. And you're misinterpreting it, my concern is general. I think they'd all be better off taking a hit in the short term, to avoid overkilling it and thereby making the success last longer, giving them more money...

The fact Universal think it's overkill, to point where they're rebooting Universal Monsters instead of prioritising the superhero related properties they already hold, like Hellboy and Wanted, or seeking out new ones, speaks volumes. But then if I was Universal, I'd be seeing if there was a way of doing a Firefly/Serenity spin off and launching that as a franchise to capitalise on the current sci-fi explosion...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said that I wanted marvel to slow down. I just don't think its necessary for either marvel or dc to be producing so many films in such a short time frame. I'm happy to enjoy all these films but with the sheer amount of releases its in danger of killing both franchises dead by being too oversaturated. Everything has a shelf life. Its happened before with other popular genres which was box office smashes. You can can call it fearful if you want but I would rather see marvel and dc do 6 comic book films a year and continue for decades to come instead of about 9 a year (current plan) which could end up burning the genre itself out in ten years time as people have become bored with the overwhelming number of releases. Id be happy with 2 from marvel and wb and 1 from Sony and fox.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive not being negative. I just think 9 a year is too much. As much as I enjoy comic book adaptations its got a shelf life (everything does). Its fine at the moment. As there is only about 4 this year. Look at the spy genre in the 60s or scifi post star wars both disappeared for a while after the market got far too oversaturated and people eventually got fed up of them. I just don't want it to burn itself out. I do think with the box office will eventually be hit by it. With the cost of cinema tickets for families being very expensive I can see some familes having to choose which ones they want to go to. Going to cinema to see 3 -4 comic book films a year is justifiable but 9 I can see it being less affordable or justifiable to them. I read that in total there are over 40 comic book adaptations being planned between now and 2020. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I like ice cream but if I had it all the time I would end up getting bored with it. Its good to see comic book adaptations and it feels special but 8-9 a year would stop making them feel special and I doubt id be the only one..

Why are you worried about how you feel about them in 2020, we all know every genre has a shelf life and something else will come along..just enjoy the 'golden era' while it lasts.
    whats wrong with having a a tv or movie universe version of every popular comic character anyway..you don't have to watch them all.. just like nobody reads every single comic title that marvel or DC releases. Just follow the characters that interest you.
    there are thousands of untapped story lines and different characters from the history of comics to keep it interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said that I wanted marvel to slow down. I just don't think its necessary for either marvel or dc to be producing so many films in such a short time frame. I'm happy to enjoy all these films but with the sheer amount of releases its in danger of killing both franchises dead by being too oversaturated. Everything has a shelf life. Its happened before with other popular genres which was box office smashes. You can can call it fearful if you want but I would rather see marvel and dc do 6 comic book films a year and continue for decades to come instead of about 9 a year (current plan) which could end up burning the genre itself out in ten years time as people have become bored with the overwhelming number of releases. Id be happy with 2 from marvel and wb and 1 from Sony and fox.

marvel and dc are not the same company though, they wont have a shared strategy.

also if they stagger it more than it is you could have thor 3 coming out 5-6 years after thor 2.

and if they push thor 2 back that means avengers 3 has to be pushed back as the story is chronological.

i get the point your making, i just dont think its plausible, marvel are only releasing 2-3 films a year on average pretty much, to ask them to release 1 a year whilst keeping their universe going is crazy. and what about the actors? would downery jr or chris evans be happy to wait till 2020-21 to complete avengers 3?

marvel can only think about their own plans, they cant do anything about fox,sony or dc. And same goes for those companies vice versa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Why are you worried about how you feel about them in 2020, we all know every genre has a shelf life and something else will come along..just enjoy the 'golden era' while it lasts.
    whats wrong with having a a tv or movie universe version of every popular comic character anyway..you don't have to watch them all.. just like nobody reads every single comic title that marvel or DC releases. Just follow the characters that interest you.
    there are thousands of untapped story lines and different characters from the history of comics to keep it interesting

Its because I want to continue to enjoy it longer than 2020. I don't want to have seen so many of them in the next 5 years that Its stop becoming special.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I agree with whedon. What Marvel are doing is just fine. They're doing the same thing they've been doing for years. I wouldn't want it to stop.

So obviously DC want in on this. That shouldn't slow Marvel down. If people think the two companies churning out films is too much, then they'll pick their favourite franchise and just watch them, and maybe the big films from the other franchise (avengers/justice league). But for the people who are loving these films will go see them all.

And then there's Sony and their venture. Kids love Spiderman, they'll go see whatever Sony throws at them. That's not to say adults don't love Spiderman, but opinions were so divided on TASM and TASM2 that Sony will really have to do something really special to keep fans during this bombardment of superhero movies. And going by what they've already done, I don't see that happening. I'd gladly drop going to see TASM3 for an MCU or DCU film if my cinema time was limited.

And then there's Fox. They're doing very well with the new X Men films, not that the old ones did bad, (it is Fox who has X Men isnt its?) If they continue with the quality they've shown, they won't have a problem with fans getting tired of their movies.

I guess my point is that I don't think all these superhero movies are a bad thing. Some people may get tired of them but if they're good films, people will watch them.
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I agree with whedon. What Marvel are doing is just fine. They're doing the same thing they've been doing for years. I wouldn't want it to stop.

So obviously DC want in on this. That shouldn't slow Marvel down. If people think the two companies churning out films is too much, then they'll pick their favourite franchise and just watch them, and maybe the big films from the other franchise (avengers/justice league). But for the people who are loving these films will go see them all.

And then there's Sony and their venture. Kids love Spiderman, they'll go see whatever Sony throws at them. That's not to say adults don't love Spiderman, but opinions were so divided on TASM and TASM2 that Sony will really have to do something really special to keep fans during this bombardment of superhero movies. And going by what they've already done, I don't see that happening. I'd gladly drop going to see TASM3 for an MCU or DCU film if my cinema time was limited.

And then there's Fox. They're doing very well with the new X Men films, not that the old ones did bad, (it is Fox who has X Men isnt its?) If they continue with the quality they've shown, they won't have a problem with fans getting tired of their movies.

I guess my point is that I don't think all these superhero movies are a bad thing. Some people may get tired of them but if they're good films, people will watch them.

Or everyone except comic book fans will become pissed off and ignore the entire genre, meaning they don't get made for the next 50 years...

On the plus, maybe one of Tom Cruise's recent fun sci-fi films will finally become a success...
  • daveyp2007daveyp2007 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    if Marvel keep their movies fresh, they will be fine. Everyone is saying that the comic book genre will get stale etc, however including the upcoming movies the films include action, drama, thrillers, space opera, comedy, supernatural fantasy, add to this a perfectly casted set of movies i think their popularity will stay strong until avengers part 2.

Biggest risk i would suggest will be inhumans, but i will still be first in line!!

The issue for me between marvel and dc are familiarity, we are all keen to get to know Stephen strange, thanos, captain marvel, black panther etc, however how many batman movies have their been since 89, superman is obviously the most known (and over saturated) of the comic book heroes, and will the general public really be interested in aquaman?

and my wish list, during the infinity war trailer, all the heroes are shown one after another, with the last shot of spiderman, only because he really needs to be rescued from sony!!!(even if it is only a 1 time deal!!)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveyp2007 wrote: »
    if Marvel keep their movies fresh, they will be fine. Everyone is saying that the comic book genre will get stale etc, however including the upcoming movies the films include action, drama, thrillers, space opera, comedy, supernatural fantasy, add to this a perfectly casted set of movies i think their popularity will stay strong until avengers part 2.

I guess you really mean the DC/Marvel superhero type of comic books because I don't think the comic book genre is going to get stale. There are plenty of comic book movies which don't have superheroes ( History of Violence, Red, Sin City, Tamara Drewe, Men in Black, Oblivion etc.).

It's also possible that the universe of DC/Marvel can bring some new superheros to the screen. I like the 'Star Wars' approach taken in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 'with its combination of nearly all of the elements you mention above but with a particular emphasis on humour.

With the Superheroes you have a modern mythology emerging which employs either the supernatural or the wonders of new technologies to overcome adversary. When you think about it that is a very old-fashioned idea which is probably why these movies are so popular.