Nightcrawler

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Just watched a trailer for this - it looks brilliant. Jake is choosing some great movies - it has an even darker feel to it than Prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1uP_8VJkDQ

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently that trailer features key spoilers so I won't be seeing it (I watched the teaser though). But yeah, I'm looking forward to Nightcrawler, Jake Gyllenhaal sure is picking interesting roles. He was brilliant in Enemy too, though I won't say how I saw this movie though :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bamf.....:D
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good change up for him. It looks interesting.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's released on October 31st - I assume that's in the US. I hope we don't have to wait too long before it's released in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It's released on October 31st - I assume that's in the US. I hope we don't have to wait too long before it's released in the UK.

We get it earlier, October 17th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We get it earlier, October 17th.

Brilliant, thanks. 8 weeks to go then :)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the past couple of years Jake has been doing some fantastic work. Seriously good.

So brilliant in Prisoners, Enemy coming up although don't know when that will be released in the UK and now this.

He will win a Best Actor Oscar in the not too distant future, mark my words. Tremendous actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Over the past couple of years Jake has been doing some fantastic work. Seriously good.

So brilliant in Prisoners, Enemy coming up although don't know when that will be released in the UK and now this.

He will win a Best Actor Oscar in the not too distant future, mark my words. Tremendous actor.

I agree :)
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bamf.....:D

I thought there might be a spin off too!

Nightcrawler was a real popular character before he got banished to Camelot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rave reviews coming out of TIFF, particularly for Gyllenhaal's performance.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see Rene Russo back on our screens again after a string of disasterous roles back in the early-mid Noughties- The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rave reviews coming out of TIFF, particularly for Gyllenhaal's performance.

Brilliant news :)

I think he'll get an Oscar nom.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Saw this last night at a preview screening & was very impressed indeed.

I thought that, considering the sensationalist style of news reporting today, the events depicted in this movie seemed at best exaggerated and at worst right on the money.

Jake Gyllenhaal is excellent in the central role and performances from the likes of Rene Russo, Bill Paxton & Riz Ahmed are solid at the very least.

Definitely one of the best films that I've seen this year so it more than deserves a 9/10 from me.

P.S I'm reasonably confident that the Mexican restaurant scene will be regarded as something of a classic in the not too distant future:cool:...
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Bloody brilliant. Gyllenhaal is astonishing, you don't know whether to root for him or want him to fail but eventually I wanted to cheer him on at every step.

Definitely up there in my top 10 of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Saw this last night at a preview screening & was very impressed indeed.

I thought that, considering the sensationalist style of news reporting today, the events depicted in this movie seemed at best exaggerated and at worst right on the money.

Jake Gyllenhaal is excellent in the central role and performances from the likes of Rene Russo, Bill Paxton & Riz Ahmed are solid at the very least.

Definitely one of the best films that I've seen this year so it more than deserves a 9/10 from me.

P.S I'm reasonably confident that the Mexican restaurant scene will be regarded as something of a classic in the not too distant future:cool:...

I'm planning on seeing this on Friday and I can't wait so it's great to hear that it's as good as I thought it would be :)

BIB: Intriguing! I'll look out for it. Could you possibly put a clue to what happens in a spoiler please? :D
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'm planning on seeing this on Friday and I can't wait so it's great to hear that it's as good as I thought it would be :)

BIB: Intriguing! I'll look out for it. Could you possibly put a clue to what happens in a spoiler please? :D
    I'll just say it's a dialogue based scene & leave it at that, I'm sure you can cope with waiting two days;-)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    I'll just say it's a dialogue based scene & leave it at that, I'm sure you can cope with waiting two days;-)...

Haha OK then :) I'll look out for it :D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Fantastic film. The two hours just flew by and I was quite disappointed when it ended as I just wanted to see more of Lou Bloom's nocturnal endeavours. Probably a 9/10 just because it was a bit of a default ending i.e. not really good or bad.

Jake Gyllenhaal is my favourite actor right now. He's got a rare sort of intensity that just oozes from the screen. Perhaps he'll crack an Oscar one day. Over the last few years he's been consistently brilliant: Prisoners, Enemy, End of Watch, Source Code and now Nightcrawler. Before those mentioned, Jarhead, Donnie Darko, Zodiac, October Sky and of course Brokeback Mountain. Probably others I've missed. The guy's only 33 and he's already got a long list of great films on his CV.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoners was the best film I've seen in a while, so will give this a go.

Jake still looks gorgeous even with the weight loss...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this tonight and loved it. It was definitely a character-driven movie - I think if Lou wasn't written the way he was, it wouldn't have been the film it is (hope that makes sense!)
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Great film.

As with Gone Girl, i found it a lot funnier than i was expecting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great film.

As with Gone Girl, i found it a lot funnier than i was expecting.

I agree. Lou had so many amusing lines
    like how he kept bigging up his professional production company!!
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Great movie. I saw it right after The Babadook and honestly, Nightcrawler was more disturbing and it isn't even a horror film. What I wasn't expecting was the dark satire, the precision dialogue and how much it nailed the parasitic sociopathic nature of modern media.

Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was mesmerising. He's never been better, and losing all that weight combined with his greasy hair made him seedy and creepy, with that big grin on his newly skinny face giving him a maniacal quality.

I loved how at first he seems like a down-on-his-luck chancer, a bottom-feeder with ambition, but peel back the goofy, endearing, earnest charm and the 'off' social skills (like someone quite high on the autism spectrum) and the darkly comic business-speak and we get a text book sociopath. One of the most compelling I've seen in cinema actually. Up there with Patrick Bateman.

There's a reason why 'media' is in the top 10 careers that sociopaths do well in. Rene Russo's character had the same amoral, conscienceless approach, but at least she was motivated by needing to survive in a cutthroat industry. Her and Gyllenhaal were amazing together...two twisted opportunists with a perverse co-dependant chemistry.

It was a slick, smart, gripping surprise of a movie. 4 stars from me.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to watching this. It's getting excellent reviews so far, with some critics even tipping Jake Gyllenhaal for an Oscar nomination. There aren't a lot of actors that I enjoy, but he's very watchable, and I'm usually tempted to watch a film if he's starring in it. It's also nice to see Bill Paxton and Rene Russo. The director, Dan Gilroy, also wrote the excellent The Fall.