Options

Why Andy Murray should win BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Virginia Wade won in 1977 :)

Sorry... I should have said man. :rolleyes:

Anyway, i don't no why i'm here.... Can't stand the game!

But saying that it's an incredible achievement, and i can't see anyone beating Andy for Sports personality.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Virginia Wade won in 1977 :)

Well if we're being pedantic we had a British champion just last year, in the men's doubles.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    No sign of Halfpenny on the betting, but I'd definitely have him myself. I can't see him being nominated though, was The Lions even watched by that many people outside of general sports fans?

The likes of Wimby, Olympics, TdeF, masters Golf, WC/European champs football attract that element of bandwagon fans and people who watch no other event in that sport all year. Causal supporters really. The Lions tour doesn't really get this, in my own country the only real talk about it in the last week was BOd being dropped!

I agree totally, I mean Cameron said that Murray's win lifted the spirits of the British people.

Nope, not me, my spirits were lifted 24 hour earlier when a team from the UK and Ireland broke records of their own.
  • Options
    Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Rose wining over in America for the first time in quite a long while, (in golf) I think that he deserves a mention for his feat there.

I think the significance of a Brit winning Wimbledon trumps Rose's win. Don't you?
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all of those as confused as I am ...! am sure there's plenty on here !
    Maybe this video will take ur vote to Murray ...or not !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpW5SBq7QSk

But he has no personality.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Will people moan that he might not be at the event itself because the timing might clash with Murray training in the USA?

Be quite ironic if its between Murray (who will win anyway) and an England cricketer also out of the country for the Ashes!
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Will people moan that he might not be at the event itself because the timing might clash with Murray training in the USA?

Be quite ironic if its between Murray (who will win anyway) and an England cricketer also out of the country for the Ashes!

I'd say he'll be there this year.

To be fair last year, there were so many achievements being celebrated, this year with all due respect is predominantly about one over all the others. The main man will be persuaded a LOT I'd say to be there, from many quarters
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    But he has no personality.

Don't know what you're basing this on - if it's interviews, then just because he's not a media-loving showman doesn't mean he has nothing there. Watch his BBC documentary then you will see what a nice and cool guy he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Murray did once say something un-pc and got slated for it!

I suspect that England saga has left him rather wary of the media in terms of what to say.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikesuffs wrote: »
    Just like to remind everyone that in 1997 Greg Rusedski won Sports Personality for being a US Open finalist (lost 3-1 to Pat Rafter) and achieving a career-high ranking of 4 in the world.

That was before we started winning things.

I swear that one of these days I'm going to wake up, it will be 2011 and Britain will be crap at everything again.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what you're basing this on - if it's interviews, then just because he's not a media-loving showman doesn't mean he has nothing there. Watch his BBC documentary then you will see what a nice and cool guy he is.

It's based on my opinion.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big question is whether Andy will come to the show as he is normally is in Florida training.

He has not been at the SPOTY show for years and has been adamant that training comes first which I guess is why he is Wimbledon champion

They should just do a ten minute program and send someone over to give him the trophy.
  • Options
    GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray Sports Personality - should be used in dictionaries as a perfect example of an oxymoron. :)
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

I hope Murray doesn't change his schedule & I don't think he will.

As for who the runners up will be, nobody has mentioned Mo or Jess who would definitely be contenders if they win gold at the World champs next Month. Mo looks in great form at the moment & I expect him to win at least 1 gold. Jess is more of a question mark as she has an injury at the moment though hopefully she will be recover in time.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    I agree totally, I mean Cameron said that Murray's win lifted the spirits of the British people.

Nope, not me, my spirits were lifted 24 hour earlier when a team from the UK and Ireland broke records of their own.

Personally the sports result that pleased me the most was Katie Taylor winning European gold again.

But she can't win SPOTY anyway.

I remember Rusedski's win but I can't for the life of me remember the competition he had. Prince Naseem or someone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I hope Murray doesn't change his schedule & I don't think he will.

As for who the runners up will be, nobody has mentioned Mo or Jess who would definitely be contenders if they win gold at the World champs next Month. Mo looks in great form at the moment & I expect him to win at least 1 gold. Jess is more of a question mark as she has an injury at the moment though hopefully she will be recover in time.

Poor Jess will probably never win it now, her best opportunity was 2009 where she was blatantly robbed.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Jess will probably never win it now, her best opportunity was 2009 where she was blatantly robbed.

Everyone on the shortlist that year was robbed in comparison to Giggs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True. I didn't have any problems with Gerrard losing out to Flintoff because in the national scheme of things the Ashes trumps a club achievement. But Giggs won it for ONE goal.
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Personally the sports result that pleased me the most was Katie Taylor winning European gold again.

But she can't win SPOTY anyway.

I remember Rusedski's win but I can't for the life of me remember the competition he had. Prince Naseem or someone?

Tim and Steve Redgrave were 2nd and 3rd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_S wrote: »
    Tim and Steve Redgrave were 2nd and 3rd

I had a feeling Steve Redgrave was one, just couldn't remember Tim. Makes me laugh when people say Zara Phillips robbed Clarke in 2006, she actually won a World Championship!
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Lots of times this award has annoyed me - and I also do not like the show business type format of the evening itself these days.

To me Murray has to win it - and tbh he should have won last year too - but he is hampered by those who say stuff like he has no personality which has been seen on this thread. Surely it is done on sporting achievement isn't it? - not if they tell a good joke, have a nice smile and laugh a lot, wear fashionable clothes, look good or have a nice partner? Or am I missing something?

Tennis is one of the major world wide sports and for years GB has never had anyone anywhere near the top in it, that is now totally different as in Andy Murray we have someone who will stand a chance in every single tennis match he plays. Last year he won a major - the first time for British man for years and now he wins Wimbledon.

Cycling has had 3 winners in the last 4 years is it (Hoy, Cav and Wiggins?) and whilst I accept to win the TdF is a big achievement the fact we also had 2nd last year and are likely to win it again this year puts it all into perspective I think

I would have to say I do like the winners to come from the major sports in this country ike football, cricket, golf, tennis and athletics and whilst sometimes winners outside of that lot can be justified I am never that comfortable with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    achievement. But Giggs won it for ONE goal.

I am not sure if that is true really - Beckham and Owen scored a famous goal and won the award (98/2001)

Giggs just won it because he got the popular vote ahead of world champions like Ennis and Button.

Was strange and of course the revelations since about his private life make a mockery of that win!

jeffiner1892 - You make a good point about Zara Phillips - a lot of people gave her stick for winning but she was also a world champion and if I remember Darren Clarke didn't want to win it just for playing well in the Ryder Cup after his wife died.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have to say I do like the winners to come from the major sports in this country ike football, cricket, golf, tennis and athletics and whilst sometimes winners outside of that lot can be justified I am never that comfortable with it.
    I don't think it's necessary for the winners to come from a major sport, but I do think that an individual's achievements within that sport need to be correlated to how big the sport itself is.

A sport like sailing only applies to countries with a lot of water, and even within the UK with all of our water, it's a minority sport. So Ben Ainslie really did have to become our greatest ever sailor to make the short-list in a competitive year.

Similarly, there are loads of Brits winning cycling and rowing golds, in all of the different categories. Having loads of different categories makes sense if you want the event to last more than half an hour, but it means we have our 10th best rower winning a gold medal. One rowing gold is never going to be as impressive as a gold in a more accessible event, such as 100m.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

theres someone out there who was robbed of a place on the shortlist by Giggs tbh. He only sneaked on the shortlist by the skin of his teeth. Ridiculous decision. Still whats done is done.

Murray almost definitely should win, very unlikely that any other individual will do something that connects with the wider audience this year sports wise than Murray will.

Of course further success at the US Open would only further underline his claim.....;)

Be interesting to see if he attends this year, as typically he is training that time of year and appears via satellite.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree entirely that the sport has to be classed as major in Britain. Road cycling is enormous globally and for a Brit to take the TdF is an unbelievable achievement, unprecedented this time last year. Familiarity should not breed contempt in this case.

Just as Cav winning the World Champs was stupendous, added to the fact that he is arguably the greatest sprinter the cycling world has seen.

We should cherish and honour these sportsmen.

I like football but Giggs and Beckham picking up the same award for what they achieved in their respective years just seems farcical in comparison