Options

The FA Cup 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Because the BBC want to do better than ITV who put highlights after midnight !!!

As opposed to the BBC, who put their Football League highlights after midnight.

ITV put the FA Cup highlights on after midnight on one occasion (not counting the occasion they had an England match and did them the next morning) and that was in the second round last season. And they should have done it far more often that that because there was absolutely no benefit in showing them any earlier when Match of the Day was on at the same time.

The first and second rounds are clearly of less interest than the Premier League so why should they take priority on a Saturday night? The League One and Two clubs are used to having their goals on after midnight, so why inconvenience them with another timeslot?

The Beeb will "do better" than ITV by having the goals on a loop on the red button, probably repeating the highlights, showing their live game in primetime not opposite any other football, doing the draw in primetime and pioneering that multi-game thing on a Sunday afternoon. Not by what they do with Swindon Supermarine 0 Braintree 0.
    Cause if BBC2 dont carry the highlights on BBC1 you could be looking at a schedule like this.

10:30 Match of the Day
    11.50 FLS
    12.30 FA Cup Highlights

So it could still be going at 2am.

If you get about forty minutes of FA Cup highlights (which seems far more likely, given how hard it would seem to spin out a maximum of 32 ties with extensive coverage on a weekend the BBC are also covering ten Premier League matches and the Championship) the whole thing will be done and dusted by 1.10am. Last week's Football League Show ended at 1.15am. Why is this a problem?

Yes, it doesn't help when the Festival of Rememberance puts it on later but The Football League Show has finished after 2am before now when the clocks have gone forward. And even if it does, people have recorders and there's a repeat. Swindon Supermarine fans can see their goals, what does it matter when?
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC FA Cup coverage has the potential to be excellent but is so far being let down by the personnel. Manish Bhasin on highlights, Jason Mohammad on Final Score (Sunday) are both really dull hosts. The Final Score thing in particular sounds excellent but he, along with dross like Garth Crooks and Steve Claridge, will just stumble and flap their way through it.

Mark Pougatch would have been a better choice for both shows. Even Dan Walker.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Walker doesn't work on Sundays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Dan Walker doesn't work on Sundays.

Of course! Admirable but extremely limiting. Will never cover a World Cup final or be a broadcasters number one with that rule unfortunately.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC FA Cup coverage has the potential to be excellent but is so far being let down by the personnel. Manish Bhasin on highlights, Jason Mohammad on Final Score (Sunday) are both really dull hosts. The Final Score thing in particular sounds excellent but he, along with dross like Garth Crooks and Steve Claridge, will just stumble and flap their way through it.

I completely disagree with you on this one. For my money Manish Bhasin and Jason Mohammad are the two of the better sports presenters on BBC network TV. I've always enjoyed what I've seen of their work as they both have laid-back, understated styles and seem to get the best out of their pundits (although perhaps they aren't always paired with the best pundits) without being overly dominant. I much prefer them to the presenters who've been promoted to TV from BBC Radio 5 Live like Mark Chapman and Mark Pougatch. As such I'm very pleased with the BBC's decision in this area, certainly it makes sense to have Manish hosting the highlights from the first two rounds of the FA Cup given that he is the regular presenter of the BBC's weekly highlights of League One and Two games.

I'll be interested to hear who the BBC use as voiceover reporters on their FA Cup highlights shows. I'm hoping many of the reporters we hear on The Football League Show, the likes of Dave Beckett, Dan Mason and Mick Conway, are deployed on both programmes over the course of First, Second, Third and Fourth Round weekends.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely disagree with you on this one. For my money Manish Bhasin and Jason Mohammad are the two of the better sports presenters on BBC network TV. I've always enjoyed what I've seen of their work as they both have laid-back, understated styles and seem to get the best out of their pundits (although perhaps they aren't always paired with the best pundits) without being overly dominant. I much prefer them to the presenters who've been promoted to TV from BBC Radio 5 Live like Mark Chapman and Mark Pougatch. As such I'm very pleased with the BBC's decision in this area, certainly it makes sense to have Manish hosting the highlights from the first two rounds of the FA Cup given that he is the regular presenter of the BBC's weekly highlights of League One and Two games.

I'll be interested to hear who the BBC use as voiceover reporters on their FA Cup highlights shows. I'm hoping many of the reporters we hear on The Football League Show, the likes of Dave Beckett, Dan Mason and Mick Conway, are deployed on both programmes over the course of First, Second, Third and Fourth Round weekends.

I like Manish I think he should host MOTD when Gary is on his hols but I think Jason should have stayed with bbc wales. I think he is quite wooden and is quite boring. But that is just my opinion
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the provisional schedule
    Saturday 8 November

11.00 BBC One Match of the Day
    12.20 - 1.00 The Football League Show

Sunday 9 November
    6.30 - 8.00 BBC Two Match of the Day FA Cup Highlights
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Saturday 8 November

Sunday 9 November

6.30 on Sunday makes more sense
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    6.30 on Sunday makes more sense

Indeed; it would've been pointless screening a 90 minute-long highlights show on Saturday when the eight most attractive ties wouldn't be played until the following day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with you on this one.

Your contributions are always worth a read and we both enjoy a lot of talkSPORT's output which surprises me that you prefer a gentler, more laid back host, such as the two I mentioned, over someone with a bit more personality.

I enjoy Mohammad's handling of the snooker and thought he was good during the Commonwealth Games but they haven't found the right job for him yet on football. Final Score is all about the excitement and nervous tension of goals and chances. He struggles to convey that as there isn't anywhere for his voice to go; it's rather monotonous. Im not suggesting it needs the enthusiasm of a Stelling or a Kamara like on Sky, but it does need to be kept pacey and lively. I feel he doesn't do that. So far out of the four semi-regulars to have presented the show in the past decade (Stubbs, Logan, Chapman and Mohammad) I feel only Chapman has done a great job of an extremely difficult role. Much like the difficulty Sky have had when Stelling isn't on, Jules Warren is many leagues below in quality.

Yes the choice of pundits on there leaves so much to be desired, perhaps the FA Cup ones may see a better standard with the likes of Danny Murphy, Phil Neville, Martin Keown and Pat Nevin given a chance and working better with the host.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Indeed; it would've been pointless screening a 90 minute-long highlights show on Saturday when the eight most attractive ties wouldn't be played until the following day.

The schedule sounds right, I nirmally manage to keep myself awake to watch the FLS, .

Looking forward to the Draw on Monday.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that the BBC have the rights, is there any chance Sky could do a deal with them to get a live feed for the Soccer Saturday studio to give the panel some FA Cup games to report on when it comes to the 3rd round?
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that the BBC have the rights, is there any chance Sky could do a deal with them to get a live feed for the Soccer Saturday studio to give the panel some FA Cup games to report on when it comes to the 3rd round?

ariusuk has said they could do that when it was on ITV, and it was Sky's decision not to do so.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk has said they could do that when it was on ITV, and it was Sky's decision not to do so.

I wouldn't believe that for one minute. Arius has also said many other things in the past which clearly aren't/haven't been true.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe that for one minute. Arius has also said many other things in the past which clearly aren't/haven't been true.

such as?
    Or is that still part off your hatred for ITV?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your contributions are always worth a read and we both enjoy a lot of talkSPORT's output which surprises me that you prefer a gentler, more laid back host, such as the two I mentioned, over someone with a bit more personality.

I enjoy Mohammad's handling of the snooker and thought he was good during the Commonwealth Games but they haven't found the right job for him yet on football. Final Score is all about the excitement and nervous tension of goals and chances. He struggles to convey that as there isn't anywhere for his voice to go; it's rather monotonous. Im not suggesting it needs the enthusiasm of a Stelling or a Kamara like on Sky, but it does need to be kept pacey and lively. I feel he doesn't do that. So far out of the four semi-regulars to have presented the show in the past decade (Stubbs, Logan, Chapman and Mohammad) I feel only Chapman has done a great job of an extremely difficult role. Much like the difficulty Sky have had when Stelling isn't on, Jules Warren is many leagues below in quality.

Yes the choice of pundits on there leaves so much to be desired, perhaps the FA Cup ones may see a better standard with the likes of Danny Murphy, Phil Neville, Martin Keown and Pat Nevin given a chance and working better with the host.

Interesting as ever to read your response Mark and thank you for the kind words about the messages I post.

I must admit I seldom watch Final Score and on the rare occasions I do, I either only catch brief glimpses or am watching with the sound down. So I'm really in no position to judge Jason Mohammad's suitability on that programme. However, I think I watched all of the editions of Match of the Day Wales he hosted when BBC Wales had live and highlights rights to Wales international matches in the recent qualifying tournaments, as well as the special editions they did when Cardiff and Swansea were involved in the Championship Play-Offs. I think he was very adept at presenting those programmes, and as the host of BBC Wales' Scrum V Six Nations Specials I thought he did particularly well at anchoring a big rugby union round-up and highlights show with a panel of four pundits in front of a studio audience. I think if BBC Wales did a version of Late Kick Off, he's do a good job of presenting it. That said, on MOTD Wales and Scrum V he tends to work with stronger, more thoughtful pundits than many of the regulars on Final Score, who as we've alluded to aren't the best bunch.

Interesting you should find Mark Chapman to have been the strongest of the four most recent Final Score presenters - as whenever I have caught him on Final Score or heard him hosting Around the Grounds style updates on Radio 5 Live, I've found him to be pretty poor in that role. His knowledge of football outside of the Premier League, particularly from England's lower leagues and on Scottish football, seems to be incredibly weak - on the occasions I've tuned in, I've often caught him mispronouncing player names or getting the names of grounds wrong. I've long found Chapman to be a bit of a turn off in general, but I've found this aspect of his presentation particularly off-putting. To give you a specific example of what I'm talking about, I rarely watch MOTD2, but I did get to see it a few weeks ago on a day when Burnley were playing, and during a 5-10 minute discussion about the Clarets lack of goals this season, not once did Chapman or his guest Jason Roberts mention the long-term injuries to Sam Vokes and Danny Ings as being a potential factor for this. That he didn't mention their names suggests to me that his knowledge of Burnley's promotion winning season is pretty finite at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember the point being made that the Football League wouldn't be happy with their matches playing second fiddle to matches from a competition Sky doesn't have the rights to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the point being made that the Football League wouldn't be happy with their matches playing second fiddle to matches from a competition Sky doesn't have the rights to.

They are going to have to cope with that next season when SSN report on the CL games on the same night as a full programme of Football League games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are going to have to cope with that next season when SSN report on the CL games on the same night as a full programme of Football League games.

Would the CL games be given the greater prominence, though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the CL games be given the greater prominence, though?

Sky would look pretty silly pretending the Football League is on the same level as the Champions League. Most likely, the panel will report on the CL games involving the two English clubs, another CL game and perhaps the most high profile Football League game of the night.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

The Football League thinks very highly of itself doesn't it!
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    such as?
    Or is that still part off your hatred for ITV?

Do you really need me to give examples?

The fact that he claimed that Offtube Speight would be commentating on site at the World Cup, despite myself knowing differently is a good example. Then there was the time he claimed that ITV always use their own commentators for their non-live FA Cup semi-final, despite the fact they took the ESPN commentary last year! I also remember him trying to defend ITV's offtube commentary of Europa League games by pretending that the commentators couldn't get a work permit/visa to enter certain countries. However on one occasion they were not needed at all and on another they were only needed if you intend staying there for any length of time. there was also the issue when ITV cut to an advert during their live coverage of the Fulham v Sheffield United FA Cup replay earlier this season which arius denied happened even though it clearly did happen.

I probably could go on.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Saturday 8 November

Sunday 9 November

should have added Final Score on BBC One Sunday 9th 1.45pm - 4.15
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Soccer Special for years reported on the Champions League games in the studio before Sky gained the rights. There is no denying that UCL games are of more interest and significance. Soccer Special may be Sky's not-so-secret weapon in the UCL time slot next season as an alternative to BT's live games.

Back on to the FA Cup, it seems BBC Two is very much the early round 'home' so far. I wonder if they'll stick with the Friday night slot as the competition goes on, it would make sense to me as a nice alternative to comedy and drama/soaps on the other main channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course Soccer Special for years reported on the Champions League games in the studio before Sky gained the rights. There is no denying that UCL games are of more interest and significance. Soccer Special may be Sky's not-so-secret weapon in the UCL time slot next season as an alternative to BT's live games.

Back on to the FA Cup, it seems BBC Two is very much the early round 'home' so far. I wonder if they'll stick with the Friday night slot as the competition goes on, it would make sense to me as a nice alternative to comedy and drama/soaps on the other main channels.

Friday night could cause a problem in Wales as BBC Two Wales shows Pro 12 rugby on a Friday night - there is none on Nov 7 because of the autumn internationals