iPhone 6 with big screen (leaked pictures "allegedly")

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the benefit of Calico Pies fantasy world :p

Here is the whole transcript of what Tim Cook said on iPhone screen size:

Investor asked:

If anything has changed in your view as to that market and its place in the in smartphone world versus your 4 inch product.

Tim Cook replied:

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".

The Q&A can be found here and is towards the end of the session:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13houbqwdvowuhb04/event/index.html

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65543735&postcount=33

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1820438

My fantasy world?

I'm not the one saying Cook said something he didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    What on earth?!!
    Calico Pies posts do give me a laugh :D

Oh, you know - the usual thing where some comments made somewhere by someone get twisted into something completely different.

For example, someone, somewhere, may once have said that they prefer the current screen size because it's easier to use with one hand, and is a legitimate personal preference for that person.

And how, if Apple were to release a phone with a larger screen and someone else, somewhere else, says they quite like an iPhone with a larger screen which is also a legitimate personal preference.

At which point people on Internet forums, possibly even this one, will try to conflate those opinions into one single view of some mythical, and supposedly hypocritical, Apple collective.

As already insinuated by yourself, Everything Goes, in your first post.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    My fantasy world?

I'm not the one saying Cook said something he didn't.

No, you are. TC explicitly said that he would not consider a large display while "trade-offs" exist.

He also stated that other manufacturers have accepted these undefined "trade-offs" for the sake of a large display. Steve Jobs also slated larger devices by HTC etc. when they debuted so Apple has a long history of claiming never to make a mobile device with a large display.

Exactly what TC believed these "trade-offs" to be, was never defined. The only obvious one is one-handed use, however unless one is keen to develop RSI, most people operate a mobile device with two hands, particularly when typing.

The rest is totally irrelevant as Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and others all employ larger displays which are far superior to that of the iPhone, both technically and visually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No, you are. TC explicitly said that he would not consider a large display while "trade-offs" exist.

Which is clearly quite different to:

"Tim Cook claimed they wouldn't produce iPhones with larger screens."
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Oh, you know - the usual thing where some comments made somewhere by someone get twisted into something completely different.

For example, someone, somewhere, may once have said that they prefer the current screen size because it's easier to use with one hand, and is a legitimate personal preference for that person.

And how, if Apple were to release a phone with a larger screen and someone else, somewhere else, says they quite like an iPhone with a larger screen which is also a legitimate personal preference.

At which point people on Internet forums, possibly even this one, will try to conflate those opinions into one single view of some mythical, and supposedly hypocritical, Apple collective.

As already insinuated by yourself, Everything Goes, in your first post.

Your making this up as you go along aren't you? :D
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He also stated that other manufacturers have accepted these undefined "trade-offs" for the sake of a large display. Steve Jobs also slated larger devices by HTC etc. when they debuted so Apple has a long history of claiming never to make a mobile device with a large display.

Exactly what TC believed these "trade-offs" to be, was never defined. The only obvious one is one-handed use, however unless one is keen to develop RSI, most people operate a mobile device with two hands, particularly when typing.

The rest is totally irrelevant as Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and others all employ larger displays which are far superior to that of the iPhone, both technically and visually.

The funny thing is what Tim Cook stated about the "Trade Offs" is quite clearly Apple spin. If they were so concerned about all these trade offs then the iPad shouldnt exist :D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that is a very pertinent point.

If Apple bring out a larger screen phone (I cannot believe they haven't already), it will be interesting to see how some posters on here will claim TC has changed his mind based on something he has never seem to clearly define.

Its fasinating how some are taken in by marketing spin and then try and hang on every word of it.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Those pictures will be fake as it's January
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they going to invent a shirt with a larger pocket as well, so you can put your iPhone in it. :D

That would be just another reason to stay with iPhone 4. :(
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Haven't ventured on here for a while but calico seems to be needlessly aggressive at the moment. Have I missed something?

Anyway,we all know that a bigger screen iPhone is coming, but it will be interesting to see how they get over the 'Android phone manufacturers were doing this years ago' claim given Apple's historical view of themselves as innovators. Could Samsung sue? :D But they really do need to do SOMETHING given that you can now get a £99 Android phone from a major manufacturer with a 4.5" screen with not only a higher resolution but also a higher PPI than exists on Apple's flagship, £549 phone...
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The funny thing is what Tim Cook stated about the "Trade Offs" is quite clearly Apple spin. If they were so concerned about all these trade offs then the iPad shouldnt exist :D

Never actually occurred to me that fair point. Either the low res ipad mini has overcome these trade offs or is being sold sub standard as defined by TC.

The reality is as usual as soon as the big screen iphone appears it will be perfect as usual, just like the 3.5” was followed now by the 4”. All these trade offs will suddenly disappear as if they had never existed and it will be bought it like all the other Apple claims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Your making this up as you go along aren't you? :D

Not at all - just speaking from experience.

In this case the amount of nonsense that gets written about "Apple fans" constantly and hypocritically changing their tune, depending on what Apple happen to be doing.

If some people say that they prefer a smaller screen.

And some other people end up saying that they like an iPhone with a larger screen.

Then that is not the same as "Apple fans" collectively doing a u-turn on their view on screen size.

Which is precisely the sort of thing that gets peddled here.

The first post alluded to that very thing, and you literally only have to look at the post above this one to see it.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calico Pies posts do give me a laugh :D

I only read these Apple threads for his posts, they're comedy gold! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I wonder if they going to invent a shirt with a larger pocket as well, so you can put your iPhone in it. :D

That would be just another reason to stay with iPhone 4. :(

They'll just 'upgrade' the ishirt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Haven't ventured on here for a while but calico seems to be needlessly aggressive at the moment. Have I missed something?

Anyway,we all know that a bigger screen iPhone is coming, but it will be interesting to see how they get over the 'Android phone manufacturers were doing this years ago' claim given Apple's historical view of themselves as innovators. Could Samsung sue? :D But they really do need to do SOMETHING given that you can now get a £99 Android phone from a major manufacturer with a 4.5" screen with not only a higher resolution but also a higher PPI than exists on Apple's flagship, £549 phone...

I certainly don't mean to sound aggressive. :)

I've just tried to explain how I think two different sets of opinion on things get conflated into one hypocritical opinion.

You're comparison above would be good if screen size and PPI were the only specs / criteria to compare two phones that were identical in every other way.

Why single out Apple's flagship phone? If you can get such a good £99 Android phone, what about the Samsung, Sony, HTC flagship phones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    I only read these Apple threads for his posts, they're comedy gold! :)

They certainly are! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly are! :)

I'm serious. Whilst you're very erudite and informed as far as Apple is concerned, you do appear to 'try too hard' sometimes. Mind you, you're not alone in that respect.
    But your posts are very creative in the way you squirm out of things at times.

It's quite impressive as well as amusing tbh. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    I'm serious. Whilst you're very erudite and informed as far as Apple is concerned, you do appear to 'try too hard' sometimes. Mind you, you're not alone in that respect.
    But your posts are very creative in the way you squirm out of things at times.

It's quite impressive as well as amusing tbh. :)

I think this sort of thing is a classic example where people read or say something often enough, they believe it to be true, even if it isn't.

i.e. that "Apple fans" change their mind about things on a whim, when the reality is far more likely to be that two different opinions will have been expressed by different groups of people.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I believe you but if Apple are bringing out larger phones they must have eliminated all these..
    Whilst its claimed the tablets use Igzo, in trying to understand , the dots certainly do not join with all the hype. And I think Apple still use other manufacturers in addition to Sharp. Its even possible the reviews used the worst panel and that they vary in quality. Maybe other panel manufacturers had gotten to license Igzo too. Who knows, no one is saying much.

Just maybe it all got hyped up way beyond reality and wattage saving on static screens(smartwatch etc) is minimal.
    The Fire HDX screen manages much better fficiency at a much high quality. And the Nexus 7 screen manages the higher quality with a bit less efficiency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Never actually occurred to me that fair point. Either the low res ipad mini has overcome these trade offs or is being sold sub standard as defined by TC.

The reality is as usual as soon as the big screen iphone appears it will be perfect as usual, just like the 3.5” was followed now by the 4”. All these trade offs will suddenly disappear as if they had never existed and it will be bought it like all the other Apple claims.

Yes Apples talent for spin never ceases to amaze me.

Oh we wont offer larger screen iPhones because all these trade off's exist. Please buy an iPad with a 9.7" or 7.9" display.

Yes its a bit of a contraindication but hey some people really do fall for it :D

Will a larger screen iPhone come out? Yes Apple know there is a market for larger phones. They will probably do a large and small size iPhone at some point. Like I said these pictures may well be fake but it will come to fruition sooner or later.......
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That "leak" does not seem convincing to me. Yet. I still think Apple should do it though as the screen is the weakest part of an iPhone. I have never been impressed by them.

Will Samsung sue Apple though? I can see a lawyer holding up a picture of a 4S and N7000 sitting sude by side than a picture of the big iPhone and the N9000 sitting side by side. Guilty as charged your honour, send them down.
    Forum Member
    Not at all - just speaking from experience.

In this case the amount of nonsense that gets written about "Apple fans" constantly and hypocritically changing their tune, depending on what Apple happen to be doing.

If some people say that they prefer a smaller screen.

And some other people end up saying that they like an iPhone with a larger screen.

Then that is not the same as "Apple fans" collectively doing a u-turn on their view on screen size.

Which is precisely the sort of thing that gets peddled here.

The first post alluded to that very thing, and you literally only have to look at the post above this one to see it.

The sort of thing that gets peddled here? Yes, by people like you!

That's not how it starts actually. What happens is, someone like me says they prefer a larger screen, apple user comes along, slates said bigger screen saying retina is the best and how you cant use a larger screen with one hand (which is nonsense), text can be unreadable (which is nonsense) then the rest kicks off.

As for apple fans don't change their minds based on what apple does, yes, yes they do. Card reader in mac springs to mind. then of course the larger screen on the 5, MMS after them slating it saying email was just as good...
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thread about the iPhone 6.

Started by a poster who appears to have no interest in apple, dominated by posts from posters who claim to have no interest by apple

These same posters then go on about "apple fans".

Funny :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

Started by a poster who appears to have no interest in apple, dominated by posts from posters who claim to have no interest by apple

Actually I have an iPhone :p
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »

And problems started by an iphone fan. Again.