iPhone 6 with big screen (leaked pictures "allegedly")

1798081828385»

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    cheers, but, as that page states:

Live streaming video requires Safari 5.1.10 or later on OS X v10.6.8 or later; Safari on iOS 6.0 or later
    It's not quite telling the truth - on my Chrome browser it is showing the countdown clock quite clearly just now!
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with that. My 32 gig iPad is almost two years old and I haven't even managed to use 1 gig of storage yet. I only use it as a browsing or mirroring tool. I know of lots of friends and relatives in exactly the same position.

Indeed. I have a boat load of music and apps on my 16gb nexus 5, and I've still got 7.4gb space left.

Pics are stored on Dropbox when I take them.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    It's not quite telling the truth - on my Chrome browser it is showing the countdown clock quite clearly just now!

Yeah it shows that on my nexus 5 as well, but when the event kicks off, it won't play on non safari devices. Pretty sure they always do this.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple won't use the word 'plus' for anything, believe me.

What did i tell you eh? ;-)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems the 'plus' is for an extra million screen pixels.
    So the 4.7" is at $200 + a $1000 US contract so competes against an array of established players including the < $200 contract free LTE Moto G.

Interestingly, according to Wiki only the HTC One and the ELUGA P P-03E (Panasonic) sport a 1080p display at 4.7". All the rest at 1080p bar the Sharp Zeta are 5" or above.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Well I thought I had seen all from Apple seems not.

Pricing has now been taken to a level that would have been considered a joke yesterday.

NFC launched as if it were a first.

Bigger screens with absolutely no explanation of how these previous 'trade offs' suffered by all other screens have been addressed?

It's almost as if they are trying to sneak two year old phones in under the radar but with 2020 pricing :D

Definitive proof clearly that Apple now consider any device is sufficient to get punters to stump up stupid money.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the Verge hands-on video. With the larger screen, you double tap to bring the app down half way so you can click at the top (and in the video, even that didn't work every time, so it would quickly get frustrating I'd bet).

Seriously? That's a lot easier than just pressing < on the bottom of your Android phone isn't it?! Face it, iOS as is just doesn't work with big screens - and I've never really liked going top left to press things on my ageing iPhone or iPod touch.

But iPhone users are buying one of these phones from September 19th onwards. That's a fact. It doesn't matter what the new phone does or doesn't do, how much stuff was just reinvented, or how much isn't quite as incredible as it was made out to be. Come upgrade time, people will get the iPhone 6 or the 6+. As simple as that.

Question is, how many people with an Android/Windows Phone/BlackBerry will be thinking it's time to switch? Android? Not likely. Windows Phone? Possibly. BlackBerry? Maybe, given any other platform is more appealing.

But today was more about Apple just preaching to the converted.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The fact a bigger screen immediately means a huge price hike, unlike other manufacturers simply sums Apple up, more sadly their customers.

I find it bemusing that these prices will be swallowed, mugs.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Moto G with 5-inch 720p screen. 8MP camera, but admittedly no NFC, LTE or 5GHz WiFi; £144.99 (Dual SIM though!)

You'll have to buy the extra storage space yourself, and - yes - there are limitations compared to having it all as internal memory - but it does still give some context, and proof that a larger screen doesn't mean bumping up the price considerably*.

A 4G model will be not too far away, maybe for £20-30 more.

Let me make it clear; I am not saying the iPhone 6 is just like a Moto G, but let's consider that for the main phone functions;

Moto G - 2nd Generation - £145 + £70 for a 128GB card = £215
    Apple iPhone 6 128GB = £699

However you spin it, that's £484 difference. Naturally the iPhone 6 has a far superior SoC, but the user interface is still smooth on the Snapdragon 400 SoC, and possibly better in the battery department too - an area that a lot of people find as important, or more so, than lots of extra features.

* Ironically, Apple probably sources components for far less than Motorola!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Watched the Verge hands-on video. With the larger screen, you double tap to bring the app down half way so you can click at the top (and in the video, even that didn't work every time, so it would quickly get frustrating I'd bet).

Seriously? That's a lot easier than just pressing < on the bottom of your Android phone isn't it?! Face it, iOS as is just doesn't work with big screens - and I've never really liked going top left to press things on my ageing iPhone or iPod touch.

But iPhone users are buying one of these phones from September 19th onwards. That's a fact. It doesn't matter what the new phone does or doesn't do, how much stuff was just reinvented, or how much isn't quite as incredible as it was made out to be. Come upgrade time, people will get the iPhone 6 or the 6+. As simple as that.

Question is, how many people with an Android/Windows Phone/BlackBerry will be thinking it's time to switch? Android? Not likely. Windows Phone? Possibly. BlackBerry? Maybe, given any other platform is more appealing.

But today was more about Apple just preaching to the converted.

Brilliant post :)

I will be sticking to Android as I don't see the point in getting a phone with a 720p screen, no expandable memory etc etc when I could get one with a 4k screen, with expandable memory for a cheaper cost. Sure the new iPhone will have fanbois wetting themselves and having orgasms over the thought of having the latest fashion statement. But me personally want a phone that I have more control over
  • Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    It may only be January but here is the first alleged leak the iPhone 6. The screen may be between 4.7" and 5.7" so what will the fans think of this Innovation :p

Like all rumours best taken with a pinch of salt after all Tim Cook claimed they wouldn't produce iPhones with larger screens.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/09/apple_iphone_6_pics_leaked/

Well, those are not the pictures of iPhone its another trick of getting some good juice out of the forum :P
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    HD is used as marketing spin in mobile phones (and tv's).

You better go berate Apple for using "Retina HD" :D

Good to see you shooting yourself in the foot once more :p

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/display/