Jeremy Irons Good Actor.

jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
Forum Member
✭✭
Well I think so, having watched a few of his movies lately I find myself fixated when watching him. He has screen presence and gives a charismatic confident performance.

Your thoughts DSers.:-)

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Oh, undoubtedly a fine actor who pretty much defines the term screen presence. I wish he'd had a bigger part in Kingdom of Heaven as he's so good in roles like that. Orlando Bloom had all the screen presence of a 12 year-old in a school play by comparison.

I'm currently re-watching Brideshead Revisited and Irons is just stunning in it - well, everyone is. Just what the heck happened to ITV?
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irons does a fantastic job in Cronenberg's 'Dead Ringers' (1988) playing a couple of perverted brothers.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's completely OTT in The Borgias, but lots of charisma and very watchable.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's pretty much the redeeming feature of Eragon.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's very good in some things but he does camp it up a lot .
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    He's pretty much the redeeming feature of Eragon.
    I thought his accent was all over the shop in that film.

SAying that though apparently he was voted has having the best voice in movies or something.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He wasn't too bad as Lord Vetinari in Sky's dramatization of Terry Pratchett's book The Colour Magic but Charles Dance was better in the same role in Going Postal
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him in The Lion King and Die Hard with a Vengeance, he's abit of a knob though in real life, as an actor I haven't seen many of his films
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy Irons was starring as Henry IV in the BBC’s Hollow Crown series. For the battle scenes he was given a beautiful grey horse, which he became so attached to that he rode back to his trailer at the end of the day’s shoot.

Then one day he sees a huge black stallion being unloaded. He was told it was going to be the mount of his son, Henry V, played by Tom Hiddleston.

After a lengthy meeting between star and director, and in spite of the fact they had already shot the main battle sequence with the grey horse, it was eventually decided that of course it would be a better idea if Henry IV was on a black horse, and, that getting the crew and extras to reshoot the scenes was obviously the right way to go.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Good?

The guy is superb.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant but I can never see him as anything other than Scar.

Plus Family Guy wrecked him with "Jeremy Irons cereal."
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    I love Scar

He was so evil, even the hyenas got sick of him
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a reasonable actor IMO. Not great though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What has he done to be classed as an idiot in real life?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Knowing DS, it'll be his support for fieldsports.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    well hes been around since the stoneage so he should be good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member

There's been plenty said about his relationships with women other than his wife. Usually by the likes of The Daily Mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    NortyBette wrote: »
    There's been plenty said about his relationships with women other than his wife. Usually by the likes of The Daily Mail.

Says everything.
    Forum Member
    Says everything.

Indeed. I think he is on the Daily Mail Hit List.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really taken to him in films, but I really enjoy him in the Borgias.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Watching him in Damage was quite hard to forget. There was just something.....icky about it. Job done I suspect.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Watching him in Damage was quite hard to forget. There was just something.....icky about it. Job done I suspect.

Ahhh, I think that he and Miranda Richardson had some sort of falling out on that film. Even though, they both give fine performances. It was something to do with he wanted to follow the book rather than the written script.

He is a pretty decent actor. Very good in Brideshead Revisited, Damage, Dead Ringers and in Reversal of Fortune. That being said, I don't think he has that much range as as actor - he doesn't seem to be able to go beyond those specific types of parts.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was good in Play Away ;)
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

Moronic things like this sadly: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-irons-suggests-dads-might-1812550
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

Mmmm 'debasing marriage'. I'm not an expert but isn't there a bit in the marriage vow about 'foresaking all others'? If the gossip is credible maybe Jezza missed that bit.

Actors. Bless 'em.