Options

Sky EPG Search improvements?

Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
Forum Member
Hi as title suggests

Will there be any Sky EPG Search improvements?

At the moment it is still a joke.

They need to take a look at TIVO & "borrow" some of the ideas and see it can be made as user friendly as the rest of it interface.

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even my Humax freeview receiver has a more flexible Search than Sky's.

It is one area where they are indeed poor.

Very unlike Sky to care so little about a feature customers use.
  • Options
    arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    There is a new "intelligent search" in development. Through LoungeLab, I filled in a questionnaire about it a few months ago. It looked pretty good.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    arras wrote: »
    There is a new "intelligent search" in development. Through LoungeLab, I filled in a questionnaire about it a few months ago. It looked pretty good.

I did that too and was expecting something in the newest updates but nothing there is probably some teething issues but that still wasn't great but it is a massive improvement.

I use the Sky+ app mostly as it's what the box should have as a basic use.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arras wrote: »
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I did that too and was expecting something in the newest updates but nothing there is probably some teething issues but that still wasn't great but it is a massive improvement.

Slightly OT but is Sky Lounge doing anyone elses heads in? Not a day goes by when I don't get 2 or 3 emails inviting me to do some survey.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly OT but is Sky Lounge doing anyone elses heads in? Not a day goes by when I don't get 2 or 3 emails inviting me to do some survey.

i get emails from them too but i just fill in the surveys that they send as i love filling forms in
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

But the SKY remote control doesn't have a keyboard or a display that makes the smartphone interface useable. The smartphones also provide a display so you don't upset viewing either.

Using a smartphone isn't the answer IMHO it is a limited workaround.

All due to the fact that the SKY platform is many, many years out of date but not at all easily fixed. Maybe we need somebody to build a new satellite TV platform from scratch!
  • Options
    CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenglide wrote: »
    But the SKY remote control doesn't have a keyboard or a display that makes the smartphone interface useable.

There is the Sky Navigator remote

l don't know how popular they are, but they are around.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    They could use T9 predictive text for faster input with an incremental search like we have in the Sky+app now...
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sceptic wrote: »
    They could use T9 predictive text for faster input with an incremental search like we have in the Sky+app now...

Is T9 still a thing? Haven't heard of it in years!
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Is T9 still a thing? Haven't heard of it in years!

I know Comcast use it in their Xfinity TV platform, you can see it demoed HERE
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    There is the Sky Navigator remote

l don't know how popular they are, but they are around.

And the old sky open keyboards work too. I've just picked one up for £4.99 from an auction site. Just needed a few button presses.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the old sky open keyboards work too. I've just picked one up for £4.99 from an auction site. Just needed a few button presses.

I'd forgotten about those. Had one years ago.

As for searching, I agree it's shockingly bad. I use the Sky+ app instead. It's 100 times better than searching on the box.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about those. Had one years ago.

As for searching, I agree it's shockingly bad. I use the Sky+ app instead. It's 100 times better than searching on the box.

Only problem is that if you want to search BBC iplayer you have to do it through the box because the BBC won't seem to let sky list the iplayer programmes on the app.