New Sky search to be introduced

aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sky have announced a new search facility for Sky+ HD boxes, and about time too!
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124056-sky-enhances-search-features-for-sky-hd-boxes

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting part of that article:

It will be rolling out the new features to customers over the "coming months" and asks that they ensure their devices are connected to the internet so the update can be applied.

It then says at the bottom they are doing this to convince more people to connect their boxes up to the internet (surely on demand is a good enough reason to connect up, not getting updates, which the boxes can get just fine through the dish - surely the average joe won't care how it comes through).
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    It then says at the bottom they are doing this to convince more people to connect their boxes up to the internet (surely on demand is a good enough reason to connect up, not getting updates, which the boxes can get just fine through the dish - surely the average joe won't care how it comes through).
    I reckon that what Sky MEAN (but don't say!) is that, while the operating system with the new search code will be uploaded as normal via the satellite, it won't work (and may present the present search interface) UNLESS you have it connected to the Internet.

Just as almost all of the "On Demand" content vanishes without a network connection.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I reckon that what Sky MEAN (but don't say!) is that, while the operating system with the new search code will be uploaded as normal via the satellite, it won't work (and may present the present search interface) UNLESS you have it connected to the Internet.

Almost certainly as it'll probably rely on an external search server.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    Almost certainly as it'll probably rely on an external search server.

Yea, it won't be that the update won't install without an Internet connection, but the box will need an Internet connection for the new search features to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Yea, it won't be that the update won't install without an Internet connection, but the box will need an Internet connection for the new search features to work.

Then either Pocket Lint have got the story wrong, or someone at Sky has told them wrong, as the story certainly doesn't read like that.
    Forum Member
    Then either Pocket Lint have got the story wrong, or someone at Sky has told them wrong, as the story certainly doesn't read like that.
    Yes it looks like someone has got seriously confused between "updating over the Internet" (which the boxes cannot do!) and "the update won't work without the Internet"!

The net effect is the same - those with no network connection probably won't even see the new search!
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your box loses the internet connection it reverts to the current search.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell its took Sky god knows how long to put a decent search feature in there, i dont use it for the simple reason that it is slow and at best you can only put about 8 letters in there, complete waste of time, well behind the ball compared to Tivo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Hell its took Sky god knows how long to put a decent search feature in there, i dont use it for the simple reason that it is slow and at best you can only put about 8 letters in there, complete waste of time, well behind the ball compared to Tivo.

But then, boxes like a Tivo have always been permantly connected to the network, for this sort of search to work on a Sky box, it would either have to have a hell of a lot of data downloaded to it from the dish, or be connected to the servers, it doesn't work by magic you know :rolleyes:
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This update has started to be rolled out this week so should be with people soon.

At this point it is NOT in the DR stream so a forced update would not bring it through.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »

I assume it's the same search engine that's on the Sky+ Android app, Needs to be on line to work.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make it clear: the update will come via the satellite link as usual. If your box isn't connected to the internet, you will see the current search interface. To use connected search, it's in the name that it needs to be connected to the internet:).
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then, boxes like a Tivo have always been permantly connected to the network, for this sort of search to work on a Sky box, it would either have to have a hell of a lot of data downloaded to it from the dish, or be connected to the servers, it doesn't work by magic you know :rolleyes:

For what it's worth: The TiVo boxes don't need an internet connection for this type of search to work. The ancient Series 1 TiVo's had this capability as well.

Finally, we're getting a decent search function on our boxes. It's not the best thing since sliced bread but a huge step forward.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    For what it's worth: The TiVo boxes don't need an internet connection for this type of search to work. The ancient Series 1 TiVo's had this capability as well.

Cable boxes can have a return path back through the incoming TV cable, whereas Sky can't do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do indeed. But that's irrelevant for the search function. It was part of the TiVo software since day one when there was no such thing as internet connections for STBs or DVRs
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I assume it's the same search engine that's on the Sky+ Android app, Needs to be on line to work.

I'm going to stick with the Android app because it's much quicker to type text in for a search plus there's the clash management.
    Forum Member
    To make it clear: the update will come via the satellite link as usual. If your box isn't connected to the internet, you will see the current search interface. To use connected search, it's in the name that it needs to be connected to the internet:).
    I GOT the update today - it was on my Sky/Amstrad 890 tonight. I don't know if this just luck or as I once signed up for new version testing.

Seems quite good but it appears to use flexible keyword searching - very like Google where it starts trying to offer matches as each letter gets typed - rather than what I think Tivo does in searching by defined categories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

Seems quite good but it appears to use flexible keyword searching - very like Google where it starts trying to offer matches as each letter gets typed...

TiVo does the same
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like yet another incremental change that eliminates Tivo's previous advantages over Sky+.
  • nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the search on my box and its not connected to the internet and works ok, I wonder if its not as up to date if its not connected, but everything seems to search and work fine!
    Forum Member
    nig6 wrote: »
    I've got the search on my box and its not connected to the internet and works ok, I wonder if its not as up to date if its not connected, but everything seems to search and work fine!
    Strange! It says on the "new software features" page which now seems to arrive and be displayed with any new version that the Internet is required for full functionality!

I was not certain that mine was doing much more than searching its internal programme listings (and not actors names etc as on the Pocketlint article) - so perhaps full functionality is not yet enabled!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I thought that was weird - but mine is definetly not connected, I wonder if its something to do with being on a beta version.......
    Forum Member
    Yeah I thought that was weird - but mine is definetly not connected, I wonder if its something to do with being on a beta version.......
    I have edited my post (above) Now I think about it I am not 100% certain it is yet doing all that it will do soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah mine searches actors names too - seems to only work for films, but e.g. Tom Hanks brings up loads in live and on demand e.g. Apollo 13 etc.
    Forum Member
    Ah mine searches actors names too - seems to only work for films, but e.g. Tom Hanks brings up loads in live and on demand e.g. Apollo 13 etc.
    I will try mine again in more detail tonight!