Options

Anyone else sick of super hero movies?

MatBonoMatBono Posts: 508
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't bare to listen people talk about them never mind watch them. Surely I cant be the only one. These films are what I call conveyor belt films. Churn one after the other and forgotten in a year. None of them will be classics. So much rubbish made these days.

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet. We've had a run of bad ones but right now the momentum is giving us some very good ones. I'm looking forward to Captain America, Civil War and I thought Deadpool was great.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Way too many. Other worthy projects aren't getting made whilst Hollywood churns out stuff aimed at the same demographic.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know. Once wonder woman and justice league are out, can anyone really justify another release.

I've been reading comics for about thirty years, and I think we've come to the end of this cycle now...
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    I'm up and down with them. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching the same movie, over and over and over...

Lol, sometimes I even dread the idea of a new one coming out because I know I'll probably have to go see it, and even if I don't see it I'll hear about it endlessly for days afterwards anyways. :blush:

Then one comes along that peaks my interest again. :)
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, sick of them.

Regards,

Captain ****
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the Marvel Avengers ones. Looking forward to X-Men & Suicide Squad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Way too many. Other worthy projects aren't getting made whilst Hollywood churns out stuff aimed at the same demographic.

I am afraid its just like the music industry. They go hand in hand. Spend loads of money on a Film/Songs video, heavy marketing to publicise the forgettable film/song to the same demographic who will lap up anything that heavily marketed and promoted as cool social media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y'know. Once wonder woman and justice league are out, can anyone really justify another release.

I've been reading comics for about thirty years, and I think we've come to the end of this cycle now...

As long as they keep making profits they will keep making these films. What next Hollywood buying the rights to British comics - oh yeah I can see Beano, Whizzer and chips, Dandy, etc movies soon :p I better not give them ideas!

Oh I forgot they already did a British comic Judge Dredd...
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help thinking, that were the interweb a bit older someone in the 60s -maybe even in their 60s- would have posted a thread entitled "Westerns-Arentcha sick of 'em?"

Hollywood genre-chases until the genre is mined-out, and the moves on to the nextNext Thing.

same ol same ol
  • Options
    KolothUKKolothUK Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I love comics so I'm happy for them to continue. Plus I have a crush on Henry Cavill :D.
    Sure these films aren't going to get them a Oscar but I tend to not enjoy many Oscar films these days anyway.

Just like the westerns super hero films will go out of fashion.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Nope.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope cause there actually really isn't that many of them each year, 6-8 films over a year isn't than many when 100's of films are released each year.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I am absolutely not sick of them. Just as I'm not sick of the TV shows I love or going walkies with my dogs or my favourite aftershave.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    True, there aren't actually that many, but you'd think there was judging by the amount of media space they occupy. So much over films that generally amount to nothing much in the greater scheme of things. Passable/mildly entertaining seems to be the aim for most, and the lack of scope in the actual material is starting to show.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    As a massive fan of comic book characters, I'm not sick of them.... but I'm not at all excited about them anymore (with the exception of GOTG 2).

I just feel like Marvel have pretty much played their hand at this point, we know exactly what the Marvel movie formula is; some action, some light-hearted humour, hero beats villain, end credits. It's weird, by far the best superhero movie yet is Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier, and yet I just feel exhausted whenever Chris Evans' face pops up at my local cinema in the Civil War trailers.

I mean we now have Marvel's movies, Marvel's TV Shows, Fox's Marvel Movies, Sony's Marvel Movies, DC's Movies and DC's TV Shows, it really is getting to a ridiculous point. In fact, it's gotten to such an extreme that I actually really enjoyed "Batman vs Superman" just because in comparison to all the Marvel movies it felt like a breath of fresh air, despite the movie itself being almost objectively poor.

Will I still go and watch them? Yes. Do I wish they'd slow down their release schedule? Yes. Do I think it won't be long until people will get burnt out and the whole thing will implode on itself? God yes. It really is just a question of which movie sets in motion the downfall of the superhero genre - personally my money's on "Justice League Part 1"
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sick of the good ones, but there are definitely far too many in the pipeline. They're going to kill their golden goose big time.

I mean, who really wants to see Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (both Carol Danvers and Shazam), Aquaman, The Justice League, The Flash (yes, they're doing a movie separate from the TV show), a new Green Lantern film...?

Is there really a demand for such films? There's surely no way they can all succeed.

I think they're already seriously pushing their luck with Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad and the reboot of Spiderman.

If they keep churning them out at this rate some of them are bound to be major box office duds, and they'll eventually undermine their successful franchises too through sheer superhero overkill.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

The superhero films will pay for the 'worthy' films.

I disagree with the OP in saying that they churn them out. I think there is a lot of talent and artistry being utilized to create these films. I do think a lot of thought goes into them. They are designed for a mainstream audience, but I don't think that makes them bad films.
    There are plenty of mainstream films to criticise more easily which aren't superhero films.
    With the Marvel films they do try to tell stories which aren't just superhero films, they play with different genres as the backdrops to many of these films.

Don't get me wrong, I like 'worthy' films too sometimes. I like Kubrick, Coppola, Hitchcock, Tarkovsky, and many of the widely received greats of film making.
    But that doesn't mean that action films are rubbish. After all that's what superheo films are really, just a current incarnation of action films.
    Action films themselves were getting very samey and the superhero films breathed new life into them.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a massive fan of comic book characters, I'm not sick of them.... but I'm not at all excited about them anymore (with the exception of GOTG 2).

I just feel like Marvel have pretty much played their hand at this point, we know exactly what the Marvel movie formula is; some action, some light-hearted humour, hero beats villain, end credits. It's weird, by far the best superhero movie yet is Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier, and yet I just feel exhausted whenever Chris Evans' face pops up at my local cinema in the Civil War trailers.

I mean we now have Marvel's movies, Marvel's TV Shows, Fox's Marvel Movies, Sony's Marvel Movies, DC's Movies and DC's TV Shows, it really is getting to a ridiculous point. In fact, it's gotten to such an extreme that I actually really enjoyed "Batman vs Superman" just because in comparison to all the Marvel movies it felt like a breath of fresh air, despite the movie itself being almost objectively poor.

Will I still go and watch them? Yes. Do I wish they'd slow down their release schedule? Yes. Do I think it won't be long until people will get burnt out and the whole thing will implode on itself? God yes. It really is just a question of which movie sets in motion the downfall of the superhero genre - personally my money's on "Justice League Part 1"

Disney/Marvel only release 2 or 3 superhero films a year.
    It may appear as though they get a lot of media attention, but that's because they are designed to be the big blockbuster films, and the promotion is something which comes along with the films as a package.
    They're not going to stop 'worthy' films getting made. It's just that those more serious or arty films have to also be good enough to make an impact. They have to resonate with their target audience as much as the superhero films have to do with theirs. There's no artistic right that the serious film has to be made over the mainstream blockbuster film.

I would have thought that interest in them would have died down a long time ago, but interest in them shows little sign of abating. They must be doing something good for so many people to still love them as much as they do ever since Nolan's Batman films and Iron Man back in 2008 started the ball rolling for this modern era of them.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the cartoons and reading the comics have always been much better than the films.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love threads lilke this. Sick of super-hero films? Simple solution, don't watch them. Seriously, though, I don't think you can blame the genre for the way Hollywood prefers the 'safe bet' of the blockbuster franchise films over risky original scripts. I totally agree it's a shame but it's the market forces dictating the way the studios operate. They've been doing it for a lot longer than the current fad for super-hero films began a decade or so ago.

The market will decide what's getting made. BvS is a good example. Warners will be paying careful attention now to their next couple of DC films and if they under-perfrom anything like BvS they whole project will be at risk.

I'm sure the genre will run out of steam eventually although Marvel seems to be aware of the potential for audience fatigue hence in phase 4 they will be taking things in a new direction, apprentely. New characters are being introduced, new directors with new visions for the way these stories are told will possibly breath new life into the franchise, which isn't exactly dieing either.

I'd also expect a whole raft of new sci-fi genres films to be in the works after the renewed success of SW last year so in a few years time i'll bet we'll have plenty of people complaining about the plethora of SW copy cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I love threads lilke this. Sick of super-hero films? Simple solution, don't watch them. .

Yes and I love comments like yours even more especially when its obvious I stated I dont watch them. But yes thanks for being Capt Obvious (A new super hero):p

The fact is people like us who dont watch them are still being bombarded by the marketing. There is no escaping, bored to death of these mindless and predictable films. I dont want to insult folk and say they were made for the simple minded as I used to be a Comic fan when I was a teenager but even it's obvious there is a big different between reading the comic and watching the film.

Sooner or later this rubbish will end and maybe just maybe Hollywood will produce a classic that will be talked about for many years to come.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that interest in them would have died down a long time ago, but interest in them shows little sign of abating. They must be doing something good for so many people to still love them as much as they do ever since Nolan's Batman films and Iron Man back in 2008 started the ball rolling for this modern era of them.

I think what they're doing is they're not just making superhero movies anymore, they're making films that fit into other genres that have superheroes in them. Superman MoS was as much an alien invasion movie as it was a superhero movie, Deadpool was a comedy, GotG was a sci-fi/comedy, Civil War is being talked up as a thriller, etc. Up until Nolan's Batman films they were just superhero, good buy versus bad guy, same story, different outfit type films, but now they're so much more. They include so many other elements now and I think that is key to their continued success.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MatBono wrote: »
    I can't bare to listen people talk about them never mind watch them. Surely I cant be the only one. These films are what I call conveyor belt films. Churn one after the other and forgotten in a year. None of them will be classics. So much rubbish made these days.

I'd argue Deadool is an instant classic, or at least a cult classic. It'll still be watched for years to come I'm sure. The Marvel/Avenger movies have been around for a few years now and i've enjoyed rewatching them all recently in preperation for Civil war, so they do stand up to repeat viewing. Guardians Of The Galaxy is another one that I think is a bit of a classic, as well as The Dark Night. They're essentially really well made movies, with great casts that just happen to feature superhero characters, and I think it's just a kind of snobishness that stops people from enjoying them for what they are.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    No as it seems to be the common topic to bring up is when will superhero films die out?

I think people forget that we have had superhero films in most recent decades but it's the amount that vary!

As a previous poster stated that compared to the amount of films each year then the amount of superhero film is still small.Orignal films are made every single year but people prefer to go to see a blockbuster and then moan when there are no original films!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sick of superhero films but I am sick of poor fight scenes where you either can't tell who is fighting whom (Transformers especially) or it doesn't seem to matter who punches whom as they don't seem to hurt each other.

It's getting to the point I roll my eyes every time a fight scene starts.