Who will come out on top? Christmas Album Chart Battle - December 2nd

Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
Forum Member
✭✭
So today I just discovered that Leona Lewis, Kelly Clarkson, Mary J Blige and Richard and Adam are all releasing Christmas albums on December 2nd.

Kelly Clarkson - Title - Wrapped In Red

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a513401/kelly-clarkson-covers-silent-night-more-on-christmas-album.html

White Christmas

Mary J Blige - Title - A Mary Christmas

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a516733/mary-j-blige-confirms-new-album-a-mary-christmas-details.html

When You Wish Upon A Star ft Barbra Streisand

Richard and Adam - Title - The Christmas Album

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s107/britains-got-talent/news/a514798/richard--adam-announce-the-christmas-album.html

No Christmas music yet.

Leona Lewis -Title - TBA

Leona has still to release a lot of information, but here is what we do know, directly from Leona herself.
The album is Motown influenced, inspired by Phil Spector.
The single will be an original, uptempo track.
The video is being shot in about weeks time.
The album contains original and covers.
O Holy Night is on the album.
She recorded I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday, not confirmed for the album though,
She said she loves Winter Wonderland, so presumably that was a hint.
She confirmed an X Factor promo slot, no surprise.

All I Want For Christmas Is You/O Holy Night

So the question is, who do you think will come out on top?Obviously its hard without hearing their singles, but still thought it would be interesting to see what people think.

I am personally looking forward to Kelly's and Leona, and think those two will probably chart highest. I think Leona will pip Kelly though.

Whose Christmas album will chart highest? 127 votes

Kelly Clarkson
30% 39 votes
Mary J Blige
1% 2 votes
Richard and Adam
19% 25 votes
Leona Lewis
48% 61 votes

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll up.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope for Leona, but I am also interested in Kelly's.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary will be lucky to go Top 40 without an X-Factor performance.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    None of them but I hope Leona.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't possibly vote until I'd heard them.

Isn't that how its supposed to work, or are we so deeply indoctrinated by image, corporate money and hype we've turned our brains off and forgotten the point of music?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't possibly vote until I'd heard them.

Isn't that how its supposed to work, or are we so deeply indoctrinated by image, corporate money and hype we've turned our brains off and forgotten the point of music?

Believe it or not, you can make assumptions based on their fan base sizes and whether you think a Christmas album from that certain artist will appeal to the general public.

I did include info on each album, and in Kelly and Mary's segment provided actual songs on the album and a live version of a song that will appear on Leona's album, so if you'd listen to them you could get a rough idea. I did say it would be hard to say without hearing their singles etc, but I'm just trying to gauge who people think will be more successful.

Christ some people are so bloody serious, they can't just take part in a harmless poll without spieling a load of rubbish about the state of music.
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have agreed with this statement if this was about Rihanna, Lady Gaga, ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really been interested in these xmas records, but I'm a big Kelly fan, so hers is the only one I'll most likely check out

Out of the ones listed though Leona's will probably do best,
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Boyle might just beat them all even though she releases her album a week earlier than this lot.

Edit, sorry, just realised you're asking about who will chart highest. Even if they all failed to get Top 20, somebody will chart higher than the others.
    Ignore me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    Susan Boyle might just beat them all even though she releases her album a week earlier than this lot.

Edit, sorry, just realised you're asking about who will chart highest. Even if they all failed to get Top 20, somebody will chart higher than the others.
    Ignore me.

Yeah I think Susan has a good chance at selling more than them too.

I don't know why but your edit made me laugh. :p:D
  • matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to Kelly's the most! I love her and can't wait to hear it all!
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So U2 aren't releasing their album yet?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I was hoping Leona would release a ballad as her xmas single but at least vocally, she is sounding absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to some great live performances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Ok, I was hoping Leona would release a ballad as her xmas single but at least vocally, she is sounding absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to some great live performances.

I assume she'll promote the uptempo Christmas single on X Factor to begin with, but I can see her doing the rounds on tv shows singing other songs from the album too, so I am sure we'll get some great ballads sung too. Wouldn't surprise me if she sung a ballad on the X Factor final aswell, seeing as its the tenth anniversary, they may have something special planned to celebrate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not my cup of tea, but my money's on Richard & Adam. Very successful earlier in the year, no reason why their Christmas album shouldn't follow suit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I am a Leona fan but i think Richard and Adam will win this quite easily. There first album earlier this year sold well. Leona has had decreasing album sales with each album and this could be the worst yet. Her management and record company don't seem to know what they are doing and Radio 1 probably won't play any of her new music again..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surrey13 wrote: »
    I am a Leona fan but i think Richard and Adam will win this quite easily. There first album earlier this year sold well. Leona has had decreasing album sales with each album and this could be the worst yet. Her management and record company don't seem to know what they are doing and Radio 1 probably won't play any of her new music again..

Didn't Richard and Adam only sell around 100,000 though? Its not that amazing, I really do think in the busy Christmas preiod they will get overshadowed by bigger releases.

Why do you think her management and label don't know what they are doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson has premiered her new Christmas single and its great,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfF10ow4YEo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It actually looks like Leona might be releasing this album in the US too, as Billboard have Kelly on the front cover and have written a big peice and in it they said,
    For RCA, the album is part of an all-out holiday assault during which the label will release not just Wrapped in Red but also the soundtracks to "Black Nativity," starring Jennifer Hudson, and "The Best Man Holiday," which features R. Kelly, Fantasia and Mario, and a Leona Lewis collection that puts a Motown spin on Christmas songs.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5763083/kelly-clarkson-sees-red-the-billboard-cover-story

Leona did say she had some performances coming up at the end of this month, and promotion for Christmas albums have already started in America, so it makes sense. It still seems to early for promo for Christmas albums in the UK. Plus her new management team are a division of Frotnline Manangement, which is an American company.
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Kelly Clarkson has premiered her new Christmas single and its great,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfF10ow4YEo

LUV IT! Hope it goes top 10, would love it to go to number 1 though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Leona is shooting a video for the single this weekend, so it shouldn't be long until we hear something. I'm hoping for a premier on Monday.
  • amo1980amo1980 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope for Leona to do well this xmas... not that fussed about about Mary (even tho i'm usually a BIG fan)... am impressed by Kelly with 'Underneath the Tree' tho... hope Leona comes out with a strong single too :-D YAY XMAS!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kelly Clarkson will just edge it, I love her Christmas single!

I've been very underwhelmed with Leona, I think she needs an amazing original song for the album to have a chance
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going with Richard and Adam, because it will be following the success of their debut so they are still fresh in people's minds to want to buy it

Kelly will likely do better in the US. Her albums don't really sell a lot here anyway, so i can't see her christmas one changing that.