Options

Joe McElderry gay?

Comments

• Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    He can go straight for a while if the pop career goes on the skids. "I'm now straight, girls, so please buy my new record and album." :p
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe gay??? Quelle surprise :yawn:
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I've always thought Simon Cowell was a bit, you know, that way too.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell? Surely not:rolleyes:
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    I've always thought Simon Cowell was a bit, you know, that way too.

I don't believe you, next thing you'll be telling us John Barrowman is gay too :p
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    Did anyone ask Will outright if he were straight or gay in the promotion he did before he decided to come out? I remember Will always dodging anything to do with sexuality by claiming he'd like to go on a date with The Queen etc, but I don't remember him being asked if he were straight. It's also worth remembering that Will was much older and he'd been able to tell his family and friends about his sexuality in his own time, before becoming famous. Perhaps he was younger than 19, but I have a gay friend who didn't admit it to himself until he was in his late twenties. He wasn't trying to lie to anyone, just confused and in denial with himself.

Of course the LGBT community are sad that anyone feels they have to deny who they are, but mainly because they understand how difficult it can be to admit to it. Some might be selfish about it and expect all famous gay men to behave in a 100% perfect way, but most will remember how difficult it was for them wrestling with their sexuality.

It's a shame you have such low regard for the LGBT community that you presume them all to be so selfish and lacking in empathy.

BTW, not everyone grows up listening to Radio 1, and Journey's version of "Don't Stop Believing". It's probably a regional thing, but it is a big cult hit in large swathes of the country, including the North East and would have been well known to Joe and Cheryl, hence Cheryl's surprise that Simon thought it too obscure. It caused a lot of debate where I work, because some agreed with Simon that it was dangerous to pick a song that people didn't know, but a lot of people claimed they did know it and the Geordie amongst us explained how you'd hear it "all the time" on a night out in Newcastle.:)

Maybe it's a Northern thing? I'd heard it before too, wherever there was an 80's/cheesy popwhatever playing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Don't stop Believin' has and always will be a classic. It was always played in clubs and bars just like Come on Eileen or the Grease Medley. It was always on jukeboxes and so were Open Arms and Who's crying now? Other Journey songs. It always appeared on American compilation albums and dj's always had a copy. So to think it was made popular again by Glee or even the Soprano's ending is absolutely laughable. It's always been there since it was released, you just haven't noticed it, but I bet you've sang along to it in a club.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    this has to be the weirdest coming out story of any star. i mean
    you dont just decide within days you are gay, its a gradual
    realisation. he should have just said i am gay and thats it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nheaney wrote: »
    this has to be the weirdest coming out story of any star. i mean
    you dont just decide within days you are gay, its a gradual
    realisation. he should have just said i am gay and thats it.
    I agree. It's been handled badly. I can see what's happened - because of the false-start outing, he has to cover himself to seem sincere, but they didn't take into account that people forget, plus often one story kinda cancels out the former anyway. I expect it was due to the style of interview though - keep asking the same question and get slightly different response each time. Put it all together and it reads like the person is really, REALLY trying to push an untruth down our throats. Ah well. I feel sorry for Joe. He's only young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Details won't matter, IMO. George Michael coming out with his pants down was a slightly bigger PR disaster and nobody cares now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Details won't matter, IMO. George Michael coming out with his pants down was a slightly bigger PR disaster and nobody cares now.
    He went from being credible and respected to being slightly higher on the credible-joke scale. He's still respected, but it's okay to joke about him now. Do you know what I mean? I think it's a little different too - not sure he ever came across as a liar. He's always seemed sincere I'd say. He's almost too open about sex and drugs, but at least he doesn't come across like he's taking the public for a fool. I think you're partly right though - this will be forgotten about soon enough (expect, perhaps, by forum users who seem to remember all minute details of every story - lol).
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    He went from being credible and respected to being slightly higher on the credible-joke scale. He's still respected, but it's okay to joke about him now. Do you know what I mean? I think it's a little different too - not sure he ever came across as a liar. He's always seemed sincere I'd say. He's almost too open about sex and drugs, but at least he doesn't come across like he's taking the public for a fool. I think you're partly right though - this will be forgotten about soon enough (expect, perhaps, by forum users who seem to remember all minute details of every story - lol).

LOL - love the phrasing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Such a fuss over something so insignificant.

I cant believe that ANYONE couldnt see that Joe was gay long before it was announced .. but then women swooned over George Michael so I guess some love is blind :)

In my household we had a bet that Joe would 'Will Young it' and keep his sexuality a secret until after the X Factor ..it was essential for him to appear straight so that he got the teenie girl (and some much older women) 'maybe I could be his girlfriend' vote .. this is so prevalent in all talent contests.

That is the only issue I have with this - people say ' he is only 19 etc' .. it wouldnt have mattered if he was 29 .. he still would have kept his mouth shut until all the voting was done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL - love the phrasing :D
    Which bit? :)
  • Options
    IlovesushiIlovesushi Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry i didn't realise there were rules as to how a gay person came out .

I'm so naive me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ilovesushi wrote: »
    I'm sorry i didn't realise there were rules as to how a gay person came out .

I'm so naive me
    Why the sneering? People are fascinated and discussing the lying aspect. We're all on here cop we're fascinated by the media and how life is played out by it and stories are handled by it, aren't we? That's all that's going on in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sneering.I'm more referring to the fact that if a person does not get every minor or major ,for that matter ,detail of their story ,whatever it may be about ,exactly correct before they open their mouths to speak there will be someone there ready to pounce to say that obviously there have been lies on the way .

Perhaps sometimes things just happen or am I really being too naive in thinking such a thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sneering.I'm more referring to the fact that if a person does not get every minor or major ,for that matter ,detail of their story ,whatever it may be about ,exactly correct before they open their mouths to speak there will be someone there ready to pounce to say that obviously there have been lies on the way .

Perhaps sometimes things just happen or am I really being too naive in thinking such a thing.

Well that would be fine if he hadn't been caught out in some major lies along the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no proof, but I doubt that he was calculating with the g/f vote and therefore had said nothing, I'd say he was glad it was not brought up back then. I don't mind inconsistences in what he had said either. At the end he did not come out as half gay or one quarter gay or something. If he needed for whatever reason to spin it in some way, it's fine with me, the end result is still the same.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say i definitely would have 'kissed' this one.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3077275/Joe-McElderrys-first-gay-kiss-talks-to-Sun.html

I do hope Attitude is persuading him to get his trousers off :D

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am always suspicious when I hear the word 'smitten' :D BTW could this be the reason why Joe came out? That there was this Sean ready to kiss and tell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gotcha. Naive? Perhaps a little; Joe is very media-trained and he's in the care of a group of business people who deal with the media from the inside and outside day-to-day. However, he is only human and yeah, he should be able to sometimes make a mistake in what he says. It doesn't always have to be down to manipulation! Saying you're not gay, then saying you are, and then saying that you only just realised is a little transparent. I don't blame him though. He's just a kid being told what to say.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    Gotcha. Naive? Perhaps a little; Joe is very media-trained and he's in the care of a group of business people who deal with the media from the inside and outside day-to-day. However, he is only human and yeah, he should be able to sometimes make a mistake in what he says. It doesn't always have to be down to manipulation! Saying you're not gay, then saying you are, and then saying that you only just realised is a little transparent. I don't blame him though. He's just a kid being told what to say.

I agree. I think he was manipulated into coming out as "straight" and frankly only a few naive souls believed him. I certainly didn't (as my messages on the subject on DS in the past year show), but I'm glad he has come out rather sooner than I expected. I respect him more for that.

Joe is going to be much happier now that he is not trying to live a lie. I loved his voice and will get his new album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only everyone who struggled with their sexualoity was able to be honest about it without fear or prejudice .

You cannot help being who you are .

There is so much anxiety and unhappiness experienced by people pretending to be what they are not.

Personally as a Joe fan ,I couldn't care if he is gay,bi ,straight ,hermaphrodite just so long as he keeps singing.

Yes and I do know he is not to everyone's taste and yes I do post on his AT - so with that I will say goodbye.