Options

Long Distance Relationships

youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been in a relationship for about 2.5 years and for nearly the last 2 it has been long distance since i moved here for work reasons and she could not because she is studying.
But we have got through it thanks to Skype and cheap air travel :D and I move back in May.

I am interested in asking people who have been in Long distance relationships, Or are now, and how you keep the relationship alive during it.
And thoughts and opinions from anyone else are also welcome. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I am in a long distance relationship at the moment, it is sooooo hard. I am in England, he is in Chile. We skype almost every day, but it is not the same. Have made two trips to South America, he is coming here in July then I am moving to be with him in September forever :cool:

Luckily there is a lot of trust involved, and we love each other very much. Not being with him really makes me value what we have, and I know he is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. ♥
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just depends on what you're looking for I guess. I was in a long distance relationship (about 4,000 miles) and it sucked. We got by through email, phone calls and visiting whenever possible, but on my last visit I was planning on breaking it off-- not because I didn't love him, but because it was emotionally exhausting, and waaay too expensive for me to keep doing. Fortunately, he proposed before I had a chance to go through with it.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I suggested it to Mrs. Bleads, but she's not keen.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Depends on several factors. A few of the main ones:

1. The strength of the relationship
    2. The needs of the people involved.
    3. Maturity

I had a long distance relationship for a couple years that worked out. It helped that prior to our long distance arrangement we had already been together for more than a year and had become intimate. Despite the difficulties we were able to look at the long term picture and put our short term needs aside.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not move out one day and tell her you will be back in a couple of months? It'll keep things fresh;)
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in a long distance relationship at the moment. I'm in the uk and she is in the states. It is difficult especially as finances are tight at the moment so it can be problamatic seeing each other. But thanks to Skype we get through it. She finally moves over here next month.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Are these all 'real' relationships or some online lover?
  • Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

Did you tell her how long?? Maybe if the distance was long enough, she'd be excited about it? :p
  • Options
    kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a long distance relationship, He was in the navy, only saw him when he had leave, no skype then .did not even have a phone ,. We have been married for 47 years, and still happy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I hope you don't mind getting any essay!:)

I have just split up with my boyfriend after we faced a lot of difficulties due to the distance.

I was with my boyfriend for three years. I am working aborad just now for a year, and my now ex is working full time in a supermarket, despite having a Masters at home. I have changed so much since working aborad, I've grown up alot and had to deal with lots of new things.

It felt like everything was changing for me, and nothing was changing for him. We communicated through emails/skype/msn, but the time difference was a major factor, it was difficult to catch each other without someone either staying up really late or getting up reallly early.

We rarely argued before I came here, he was very supportive of me working abroad, but he was a bit resentful as I walked straight into this job from graduating, whereas he has struggled to find any work. I kept asking him if he was sure he was ok with me going away to work and he encouraged me to go for it, so I did. Then when I got here he kept saying I should come home, but I really do love my job here and I have worked hard and I want to at least finish my year away.

Things just fizzled out, nothing was the same and it just got to the stage where I didn't even care whether I spoke to him or not on skype or whether he was on msn. I realised that basically everything in my life has changed, and his is exactly the same as it was a year ago. His lack of motivation to find something bugged me, and he would just complain about work etc when we were talking on skype/msn.

I knew it was time to end it. It was a really difficult decision to make as I was with him for three years and we were very close and we have a lot of friends in common, so I've probably lost some mutual friends just purely because I'm not there. :cry: But it just wasn't right anymore.

I admire anyone who has been able to make a long distance realtionship work! I honestly don't know how you manage it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commuting long distances for occasional competitive sport is fine as long as local friendlies are possible too.....
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I am in a long distance relationship ...

I'm only in Scotland and my girlfriend is in Ireland (mah home). I've known her since 07 and I was going out with someone for most of the time we knew each other but we always got on great. A few months before I was due to leave for Scotland we started smoochin and that but I knew that I was going so I didn't want to get into a relationship with someone (mainly for the reason that I was in a long distance relationship when I started college and that was complete torture). But we got closer and closer before I left.

I did leave a year ago and she came to see me after a month or two. We got drunk and then she asked what the story was. We decided to start going out and see how it went and I let her know that I did not like long distance relationships at all !!!

Its been brillaint since. Nearly a year going out and its great. We try to see each other as much as possible. We usually see each other once a month (like we're not a million miles away from each other and ryanair does cheap deals).

In my opinion it all depend on the people.
  • Options
    momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been in a long distance relationship...my marriage . my husband was in the army and was away for a great deal of the time , we survived and have now been married for almost 40 yrs , the problem with us was when he left the army , I found it difficult to cope with him being there every day , I had my own routine and a life that didn`t include him whilst he still served in the army , we both had to make a lot of adjustments but we are still together even if he does drive me nuts at times !! ;)
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They work out, if you want them to. Someone's gotta move though, eventually. It's how I bloody ended up here! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a long distance relationship that ended 13 years ago, before either of us had a computer, neither of us had a car, and we were both earning around £11k. We were engaged.

We lived about 200 miles apart, and would meet up in person every couple of months for a long weekend, which was about all we could afford. As well as visiting our hometowns, we had trips to London, Chester etc.

Obviously we communicated by phone, but we both loved to receive letters, so hand writing a letter to each other was done practically every week. Wouldn't be the same nowadays with email!

In the end it didn't work out, partly down to the fact that neither of us wanted to move.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    When I was a student in the 70s I was living in the UK and in a relationship with a guy in New York. We survived by flying back and forth regularly (I remember my first return fare through the NUS was £50!) When I qualified as a teacher I would go over for the whole 6 week holiday.

Then I met my present husband and that was the end of that!!!! We've been together 37 years and he spent a couple of years in the middle east, only coming home every 6 months! His normal work back in the UK would take him away from home for a week or so at a time.

Now we've retired to Spain, much as I love him, I love it when he disappears off for the day and I can have my own space :o

(I can spend hours on here for one thing :D)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I am in a long distance relationship at the moment, it is sooooo hard. I am in England, he is in Chile. We skype almost every day, but it is not the same. Have made two trips to South America, he is coming here in July then I am moving to be with him in September forever :cool:

Luckily there is a lot of trust involved, and we love each other very much. Not being with him really makes me value what we have, and I know he is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. ♥

Him? You're single and straight :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had one, worked very well, ended amicably due to us making different life choices at a point. We're still best friends and talk all the time.

I don't believe in the 'long distance doesn't work' theory. When a short distance relationship is forced long distance, it's probably doomed, but if it starts long distance and stays that way it works a lot better.
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Him? You're single and straight :confused::confused:

Why should any of that stop her having a boyfriend?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see stories of long distance relationships working out. But for me, it never has. I've had a few, and where I'm talking long distance, im merely talking a couple of of hours in the car.

Trans-continent long distance relationships have the added burden of one of the biggest evils on this world called Immigration. This is even more against you if you happen to be in a same sex relationship.

To me, a long distance relationship is having a carrot stick waved infront of you when youre sat talking on messenger or on the phone. The conversation is full of "If I was there.." "If you was here...". Then the added strain wondering what theyre doing, and worry that if someone more local to them would come along then you'd be dropped faster than a sack of spuds. What a waste of life, If youre together, you should be together rather wishing your life away counting down the days, hours and minutes until their train is due to pull up into the station.

If there is a definite light at the end of the tunnel, then by all means. Its do-able. But these online dates where you kinda get together and just meet are just an utter waste of time.

Personally I want my partner to be there when I need her, and more importantly I want to be there when she needs me. I like to have a reason to bother going home after work.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote: »

Then the added strain wondering what theyre doing, and worry that if someone more local to them would come along then you'd be dropped faster than a sack of spuds.

It doesn't have to be a long distance relationship for all that shit 'n' worries to go down ya know !
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Im in a long distance relationship at the moment. He lives in the US and Im here. We've been together for just over a year. I know for a fact that I love him more than anyone else I've ever been in a relationship with and the feeling is mutual...However it is extremely difficult sometimes and when I think about the future difficulties I wonder if Im strong enough, what if I am not able to emigrate there? Its lonely when I just need a hug off him or if hes feeling down and I want to be there to support him. You need to be very strong and focus on being together in the future. Good luck to all of you who are in the same situation, one things for sure, we are fighters ;)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    must be a copy cat account