Options

US drama recommendations?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
Forum Member
I've mainly started this thread as I wanna start watching some US dramas in order to kill my wait for Breaking Bad's return. I've got the first seasons of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, as well as the first five seasons of Dexter. I've also been watching Person of Interest on and off on Five since it first aired. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I was thinking about Fringe seasons 3/4. I saw the first two on Sky but I stopped having Sky shortly after season two and the Lost finale, so I'm behind and I really wanna catch up before season five ends. Anyone seen seasons 3 and 4 who can tell me if I'd enjoy them? I loved season two for advancing the plot but season one was hit and miss for me.

I've also been considering Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos or Mad Men. I would jump straight into all of these but I like to plan out how and when I watch my series so I don't get my collection too crowded with stuff I never watch.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

Also, sorry if recommendation threads are frowned upon here, I've visited music forums where all recommendations were to be placed in a specific thread. However, the guidelines never made notice of this from what I saw.

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boss
    Damages
    Boardwalk Empire
    Alphas
  • Options
    ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Purely for timing reasons (and because it's fantastic), watch Homeland first. It is only a twelve-episode season and then it'll be fresh in your mind when season 2 begins airing over here on Sunday October 7th at 9pm :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringe season 3 was a bit hit and miss, 4 was better and I think 5 is going to be the last season.
    Twin peaks, proper weird, I watched it all when it was first show and tbh, not one that I would think about re-watching.

Been watching Suits and Once upon a Time. If you want a big box set and like action shows then its difficult to beat 24.

I take it you are not into sci-fi ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Friday Night Lights even if you're not into American Football you'l love it, the characters and their progression are amazing.

If you haven't seen it and crimes your thing the first two seasons of Prison Break are top notch as well.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely recommend Homeland. It was the first time in ages that a TV show had me on the edge of my seat every week. Twin Peaks is also a good option. The first series alone is a masterpiece but the quality trails off a bit in the second season.

Two other series that aren't quite as highbrow as the other options but I find very enjoyable are The Borgias and Revenge. I'm not sure if The Borgias counts as US drama given it's international cast and production locations but it is aired by a US network and is full of family infighting and palace intrigue. Revenge is very soapy with lots of twists and turns if you like that sort of show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I take it you are not into sci-fi ?

I'm actually quite a big sci-fi fan when it comes to films and video games but I've yet to see many sci-fi shows that I enjoy besides Firefly, Fringe and Star Trek: TNG. I'd be happy for sci-fi recommendations but really I just like anything with good direction, interesting plot/characters and good acting, with story arcs to keep me interested for the full series.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite a big sci-fi fan when it comes to films and video games but I've yet to see many sci-fi shows that I enjoy besides Firefly, Fringe and Star Trek: TNG. I'd be happy for sci-fi recommendations but really I just like anything with good direction, interesting plot/characters and good acting, with story arcs to keep me interested for the full series.

This Canadian sci-fi show is starting on SyFy this Thursday at 10pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(TV_series)
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parenthood - it's absolutely brilliant! I don't think there's been an episode of the show that hasn't brought me to tears :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    This Canadian sci-fi show is starting on SyFy this Thursday at 10pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(TV_series)

I don't have access to Sky, but this sounds very interesting actually. Think I'll download an episode and see how it goes, or get a relative or friend with Sky to record it for me.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warehouse 13 - okay the cgi is a bit ropey in places but it doesn't matter it has a good strong storyline and just the right amount of comedy.

Nurse Jackie - Edie Falco in a role of someone you shouldn't approve of just like Carmella but thanks to the script and her acting you end up routing for her.

PJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've caught a couple of episodes of Warehouse 13 in the past. It seemed fun but not the kind of show I'd dedicate myself to. If it's available on DVD at a relatively low price I'll probably buy a season or two because it looked decent from what I saw.

And what genre is Nurse Jackie? Would you recommend it on the basis of the shows I mentioned in my first post?

Thanks for the recommendations guys, btw.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I've also been considering Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos or Mad Men. I would jump straight into all of these but I like to plan out how and when I watch my series so I don't get my collection too crowded with stuff I never watch.
    You should definitely catch up on Homeland season 1 before season 2 starts. Great show.

The Sopranos and Mad Men are also definitely worth watching, as are The Wire and Deadwood and The West Wing if you haven't seen them. Those are the standard "great US drama" recommendations, but I think they live up to the hype.

Justified would be my other pick. It's a very good show, particularly the brilliant season 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Homeland is amazing, blu ray looks stunning (very expensive though). If you're after something a little bid more lighthearted try Parenthood.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know any decent websites for US TV show UK air dates etc , I've used Geektown and TV Wise.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbabcn wrote: »
    Friday Night Lights even if you're not into American Football you'l love it, the characters and their progression are amazing.

If you haven't seen it and crimes your thing the first two seasons of Prison Break are top notch as well.

Ooh, I'm absolutely loving this series, I'd seen the odd episode on ITV at 2am when I couldn't sleep but its fantastic watching it from scratch.

I'm really excited that White collar is returning soon, I loved the first series.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland season 1 is a must. As are the first two seasons of Boardwalk Empire.
    I am an Aaron Sorkin fan so I would also recommend the entire 7 season box set of The West Wing, also Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip ( underrated in my opinion ).The Newsroom season 1 may appeal.
    Also repeated daily on Sky Atlantic is E.R. The best medical drama ever. I think it's 15 seasons altogether.
    I also enjoyed Smash too.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    Ooh, I'm absolutely loving this series, I'd seen the odd episode on ITV at 2am when I couldn't sleep but its fantastic watching it from scratch.

One of my fave shows of the last few years!

Funny it's almost impossible to describe it to someone in a way that makes it sound as good as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    One of my fave shows of the last few years!

Funny it's almost impossible to describe it to someone in a way that makes it sound as good as it is.

Same! Trying to convince one of my friends to watch it but my notoriety for watching shows like 90210 is putting him off and nothing I can say really does it any justice. So frustrating.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same! Trying to convince one of my friends to watch it but my notoriety for watching shows like 90210 is putting him off and nothing I can say really does it any justice. So frustrating.

Yeah I've given up to be honest I think it was Kyle Chandler that said there are 2 types of viewers those that have seen Friday Night Lights and love it and those that have never seen it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Fringe is well worth catching up on. I personally thought season 3 was brilliant, and season 4 was a little patchy in places, but still really good.

I'd add to the praise being given to Friday Night Lights. Such a wonderful show. I'm just over halfway through season 4, and I don't think I've cared about a group of characters as much as I do with the residents of Dillon. Almost every episode has a moment that makes me, at least, well up.

Other than that, my usual recommendations tend to be: Lost, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Vampire Diaries.
  • Options
    jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FNL is fantastic, I've been watching on Sky Atlantic. Don't think this has been mentioned, but I'd highly recommend Southland too, one of my favourite shows over the last few years.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP you could try Lillyhammer, BBC 4 Tuesdays. One things for sure, you haven't seen anything like it before.