Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the way this video makes use of Series 4 episode 8. It's also one of my favorite DM fan videos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tCvHW1XFBck
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    So....am I persona non grata after my long absence, or can I once again send an atypically short missive into this lovely community? Basically I want to share with you my excitement about my plans shortly to be in Cornwall. I'll be there between April 21st and 29th. Maybe I'll catch some filming, maybe I'll just get to see the school and the Front and have a drink in the pub. Whatever transpires, it'll be all good. If any of you will be there at the same time and are interested in meeting up, please PM me.

I see that the rewatch is still in full swing. Hats off guys, for your perseverance. That makes it sound like a penance, which watching Doc Martin certainly is not, but given my verbosity, I think I ODed on time spent writing those posts about S1. That's the true reason for my disappearance, not, as may have been speculated, my contraction of one of those so-interesting diseases that the Doc cures, or a Dingly-esque depression on the death of my cat (you were all so kind on that occasion, and I realise my final posts coincided with that event, but there is no connection).

I am, like you all, salivating for the new episodes coming this Fall (also, I am a little afraid lest they mess it up). But another reason for keeping away from the forum (I haven't even been lurking) is that I don't want to know a thing in advance. Not whose contract has been renewed, not what's been spotted during the filming (except what I happen to spot if I get to see any), not what MC is saying in interviews. Nada. Instead of getting ready for the new season with a rewatch, I'm "re-viriginising." So...expect me back on the forum when S6 airs, (unless any of you want to meet up in the meantime in Port Isaac?)

I really have missed you and think of you often, recalling at the oddest times things some of you have said about life through our shared prism, Doc Martin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I want to mention the Doc's gentleness, an endearing quality shown almost exclusively with Louisa until the emergence of baby James. Doesn't this gentleness come at least in part from a certain sensitivity, compassion, and empathy? It shows the Doc does have the ability to change, and can choose a softer behavior when he wants. He, at least sometimes, recognizes what seems to be called for, but - out of anger, frustration, stubbornness, a judgmental/critical stance, even a certain misplaced integrity - he generally chooses NOT to "play the game."

Love what you are saying here. But I do think that we see Martin be sensitive, compassionate, and have some empathy for a few others as well, (but not quite in the same way he does softer for Louisa--well played, MC!) and I'm thinking of the girl who wanted the pill because her friends were teasing her, the smelly cheese boy maybe, Peter Cronk, and Al, for starters (maybe, enders).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So....am I persona non grata after my long absence, or can I once again send an atypically short missive into this lovely community? Basically I want to share with you my excitement about my plans shortly to be in Cornwall. I'll be there between April 21st and 29th. Maybe I'll catch some filming, maybe I'll just get to see the school and the Front and have a drink in the pub. Whatever transpires, it'll be all good. If any of you will be there at the same time and are interested in meeting up, please PM me.

I see that the rewatch is still in full swing. Hats off guys, for your perseverance. That makes it sound like a penance, which watching Doc Martin certainly is not, but given my verbosity, I think I ODed on time spent writing those posts about S1. That's the true reason for my disappearance, not, as may have been speculated, my contraction of one of those so-interesting diseases that the Doc cures, or a Dingly-esque depression on the death of my cat (you were all so kind on that occasion, and I realise my final posts coincided with that event, but there is no connection).

I am, like you all, salivating for the new episodes coming this Fall (also, I am a little afraid lest they mess it up). But another reason for keeping away from the forum (I haven't even been lurking) is that I don't want to know a thing in advance. Not whose contract has been renewed, not what's been spotted during the filming (except what I happen to spot if I get to see any), not what MC is saying in interviews. Nada. Instead of getting ready for the new season with a rewatch, I'm "re-viriginising." So...expect me back on the forum when S6 airs, (unless any of you want to meet up in the meantime in Port Isaac?)

I really have missed you and think of you often, recalling at the oddest times things some of you have said about life through our shared prism, Doc Martin.

Poorrichard, you have a wonderful way with words and I look forward to your posts in the future. Yes, the shared prism, Doc Martin is quite quotable and applicable in life as I experience it as well.

May I just say that you are going to PI at the same time I was there last year and that I hope the weather is as amenable for you as we experienced. The villagers were lovely to talk with, so don't be shy. Have a grand trip!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Poorrichard,

So glad you are fine. I have missed your posts very, very much and I know others have too. I am glad you are going to return when season 6 starts.

We haven't heard a thing about s6 except that it is due to start filming in "two weeks" which I guess is after easter or so.

We will be relying on you snooping out some great news when you go to Port Isaac.

Have a wonderful time and please take lots of photos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    So many good scenes. The one in the beginning, where Edith sweeps into the surgery, is just about perfect, I think. Martin delivering the line "It really doesn't" --great.

Such a well-written, carefully plotted episode.

Totally agree NewPark.

I love this episode and can't believe that only 60 minutes later we were suffering with s5 :eek::eek::eek:

Things I love are:
    So much going on. Lots of good medical problems, quickly dealt with but interesting.

Pauline has a good role, this episode I think.
    Mrs T all dressed up and the jumper and the kiss! :rolleyes: Poor DM.

Buddy peeing on DM's shoe.

"Officious little oaf." :)

Inconsistency:
    LG's phone didn't work on the moor but DM's does, luckily for all back in Portwenn. :D

Love: "I was wrong. I was wrong about every thing..."

After all that work getting over the phobia etc. It comes back as soon as DM sees the baby so unconsciously he doesn't want to leave.
    Let's just forget s5 happened. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

After all that work getting over the phobia etc. It comes back as soon as DM sees the baby so unconsciously he doesn't want to leave.
    Let's just forget s5 happened. :rolleyes:

sub-consciously :o:o:o
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi PoorRichard, it'll be good to hear your voice again when S6 starts. If you haven't been lurking at all, then your ears must have burned at various times, because you have been often cited.

I think we will lose others as well who also don't want to know anything about S6 in advance, and although we try with spoilers, they're not guaranteed,. (I, however, want to know every single little nugget of information and misinformation, so I can reduce my anxiety about what lies ahead by at least dealing with the worst scenarios in advance, if that makes sense.)

Have a great time in Port Isaac -- I'm sure you'll have plenty of company!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many good scenes. The one in the beginning, where Edith sweeps into the surgery, is just about perfect, I think. Martin delivering the line "It really doesn't" --great.

The scene in the schoolyard is one of the most poignant of the series. I think, even at that date, Louisa was still holding out some small hope that he would be able to offer her something more than post-dated checks -- but, although he clearly wanted things to be different, he couldn't get himself to the point of doing anything effective about it.

I think the check scene really gives us insight in DM's lack of being able to change an initial impression unless he is hit over the head...hard. For example, he doesn't really get his in appropriate clinical discussion of things really annoys LG until she breaks up with him--being pushed out of the taxi, being slapped, having her silent all the way home from the concert, those were not actually enough signals for him to figure things out. But, the break up hit home.

Here, in S4E8, the audience sees changes in LG. She is softer in the last episodes than in the first, she apologized to him (rare for LG), coming to his home to do so. Her energy is different. She is no longer just pushing him away.

But, the fact that she DID push him away for the first several episodes is where DM is stuck. So with the checks, we see LG wanted something else, and we see DM stuck in his separation from her. He will be financially responsible, but cannot see LG's disappointment and frustration with his contact ending there. It's not until he is hit on the head with her life in danger in Tommy's Taxi and then that harder blow with her actually giving birth, that he realizes he HAS to be closer to her, he HAS to bridge that chasm between them.

Sure makes for good TV! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    If your description is the way it works out, I would say that the writers would have the two of them breakup.That is a pretty hopeless scenario, and would be extremely hard to justify them carrying on as a couple. Even very good writers creating a highly fictional world would have a difficult time making that credible for any length of time, if they stayed true to the characters as you describe them. From my perspective, the only way they could pull off a reconciliation would be to do it in the last 5 minutes of the last episode.

And that is the path they have taken for 2 seasons now. I hope they figure out a way to avoid that for series 6. At least in series 3 we had a few moments of happiness between them, even if the writers were foreshadowing their doom.

Sorry to be so late in replying, been very busy the last few days.

They can cure it all pretty much in not much time series wise. A nice chat somewhere quiet where they won't be interrupted (the picnic spot at the opening of series 2 might be nice-without the earthquake) on how to communicate better in ways that both can understand and deal with behaviour quirks that either intentionally or unintentionally irritate the other; discuss what each wants in their lives, their relationship and family and deal with some very large everyday houshold matters like finding a new home (neither one of theirs is really suitable-too small/lack of privacy) childcare if Louisa wishes to continue working, etc..

They also need to lay down of some groundrules set up a framework for dealing with problems that they both can abide by regarding behaviour towards one another-for example if things get too heated in a discussion they call a truce and 'let it be' for 30 minutes or so and go do something else either together (like play with James Henry, do a simple houshold repair or item that needs doing) which serves to calm things down and reinforce their pair bond by working as a team or one of them goes for a walk to cool down giving each time to think before words are said that they can never take back. Another big subject that needs dealing with because it really is a sore point is Louisa's diet-they could for example agree that Martin keeps his trap shut/doesn't shoot Louisa the 'stinkeye' etc. if Louisa wants a glass of wine, put some salt on her spuds or has some chocolate as long as she is healthy. Basically the only time he gets to be a Doctor with her is when they are 'playing Doctor'.:D:p

All the above might consume 10-15 minutes of time in an episode. After that the framework is set up for going about business as normal (by Port Wenn standards) and with little snippets along the way we can see how they are working on their relationship issues, resolving them and changing to be a closer knit couple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a fan of sci-fi, and one my favs is Farscape, shown 1999 - 2003. These characters, John Crichton and Aeryn Sun, a human man and a Peacekeeper woman, are at odds most at the time, but there is as much attraction as repulsion between the two.

Early in Season 3, this conversation occurs:

Aeryn: See, uh - I had this life. I liked it! It had rules - I followed the rules - and that made everything right. And then you come along and you frell* everything up. Strange human - with - arrogance, stubbornness...

John: Dumb.

Aeryn: Let me finish. You saw the recording - and you didn't say a word. You are like a plague, John Crichton. And you have ruined my life. And yet I just, keep coming back.

Now who does that remind you of? In Portwenn or in the far reaches of the galaxy, there are very common things. Louisa keeps coming back, no matter what... :)

* frell - peacekeeper equivalent to... you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So happy that we can help you feed your obsession for DM! Glad that you get to make "the Pilgrimage." Know that others will be waiting to hear your stories and see your photos! Have a great trip.

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    So happy that we can help you feed your obsession for DM! Glad that you get to make "the Pilgrimage." Know that others will be waiting to hear your stories and see your photos! Have a great trip.

Rob

Is there a significance to "54" that both you and PoorRichard have attached to your Forum names? (Don't answer if intrusive; just thought it an odd coincidence and wondered if it had some esoteric DM meaning.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a significance to "54" that both you and PoorRichard have attached to your Forum names? (Don't answer if intrusive; just thought it an odd coincidence and wondered if it had some esoteric DM meaning.)

Not for me. But it has been part of my handle for donkey's years. :)

Rob

p.s. If I disappear - temporarily - from here in the near future it is to avoid S6 spoilers. I'm funny that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Not for me. But it has been part of my handle for donkey's years. :)

Rob

p.s. If I disappear - temporarily - from here in the near future it is to avoid S6 spoilers. I'm funny that way.

Are you sure it's not a "54" thing? after all, PoorRichard54 is disappearing for the same reason.:) But we will miss you, if you do vanish, and look forward to your return.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

SO glad to hear from you again - I was quite worried about you. I completely understand your spoiler-free stance. I am conflicted myself, but I suspect, knowing myself, that I will jump feet first into the spoilers.

Lucky you to be visiting Port Isaac during filming! Have a great time and see you in the fall!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got wind of this interview with Martin Clunes from when the Season 4 DVD of Doc Martin came out. I hadn't heard it before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMl06-BMCME
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think the check scene really gives us insight in DM's lack of being able to change an initial impression unless he is hit over the head...hard. For example, he doesn't really get his in appropriate clinical discussion of things really annoys LG until she breaks up with him--being pushed out of the taxi, being slapped, having her silent all the way home from the concert, those were not actually enough signals for him to figure things out. But, the break up hit home.

Sure makes for good TV! :)

I agree with what you say but has DM really understood that it is the "medical speak" & superficial understanding of her needs that has upset LG? Or is he just upset about the break up. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Hi there
    I am so pleased to see this thread still going - its over a year since I last visited.
    I have very fond memories of posting here with many other DM fans.
    DM is still my favourite show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KiwiKid wrote: »
    :D Hi there
    I am so pleased to see this thread still going - its over a year since I last visited.
    I have very fond memories of posting here with many other DM fans.
    DM is still my favourite show

Welcome back. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got wind of this interview with Martin Clunes from when the Season 4 DVD of Doc Martin came out. I hadn't heard it before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMl06-BMCME

Thanks Susie

I only got 4.19 but that was pure enchantment

That voice...let alone the content :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I agree with what you say but has DM really understood that it is the "medical speak" & superficial understanding of her needs that has upset LG? Or is he just upset about the break up. :confused:

Well, that's a good point. Do we see DM do that annoying and inappropriate LG specific related medical speak so much in S4?

He's very annoyed with her medically (not) handling her UTI, and he was right in that regard; she developed a kidney infection which is significantly more serious. He's also right that eating a bunch of sweets during pregnancy isn't a good idea, with gaining too much weight. But, he isn't going off on tangents like with the taxi kiss, the erotomania retreat, and the hormonal emotional kiss under the concert tree. He stays focused on evident medical topics. That is different.

He speaks medically also in S5, a bit, but, again, it's focused on an existent topic and discussion. And, some of it is much more humorous or kind of sweet--like their calm discussion of JH (to be) sleeping in bed or in a crib, or him having a dummy. DM stops yakking on her post-partum nutritional needs when she falls asleep on the sofa, and it stays dormant until later on when he rears his ugly chocolate bisquit/you're overweight head in the kitchen. (To be honest, LG DOES have to get her sweet tooth under control. Wait until she reaches 40, when those extra little calories will begin to show...) The funniest one was DM backing immediately away from the breast feeding/internet support group question.

But, those are not taking an effort by LG to be closer and more intimate, and bone-headedly spinning it into a tangential and unrelated medical subject which pisses her off.

So, did he learn something about doing that in S3? Perhaps so. He's still does medical speak, but he's not being completely and utterly, entirely, inappropriate with it, taking an intimate moment and turning it on it's head. Of course, in S4 and S5, we had almost no intimate moments for that to occur with.

Thanks for giving me something to think about more. process. What do others think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    But, those are not taking an effort by LG to be closer and more intimate, and bone-headedly spinning it into a tangential and unrelated medical subject which pisses her off.

Too late to edit--meant to write NON-tangential.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Okay, so I lurked. Just a little bit. Just to see if there was any response to my last post. Thank you for your understanding and your warm welcome, old friends (so good to know I'm not forgotten) and cool that Susie, a new name since my time, has taken up the Sagittarian point of view in my absence! As for my handle, New Park, there is no deep significance to the number 54 in my case; it is just the number of the house where I live. If I didn't know that were true, and noticed the coincidence with robspace's handle, I'd be unshakable in contending for some kind of deeper meaning (oh dear, maybe there really IS nothing to the Buddhas!) If I gather any valuable recce or good pictures while I'm in Port Isaac, of course I'll share.
This discussion has been closed.