Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the babies clothes at the wedding reception:

Nikola Hayes wrote: I think it was baby blue trousers and a navy v neck jumper with a cream top under it! X
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Didn't Martin Clunes say something like they had learned (already) to be more tolerant of one another? Maybe I misremember. it's hard to see how that happened in S5, but that may be how he interprets things.

I don't remember him saying that, NewPark, but it's possible that he did and my memory fails me. It sounds more like something he might have said about what could be coming up in S6.

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I don't think he does desire to be a surgeon above all else. His subconscious told him there was more to life than surgery - hence the Haemophobia - and he's been working his way through this. S5 desire to get back to London was to get away from Portwenn & LG at first then obligation to fulfil the contract he'd organised himself into. Whenever someone criticises Portwenn he always defends it despite not thinking highly of the villagers.

Yes, yes! This is my take on DM and life in general. Throughout our time on this earth, we are continually evolving. Life brings us new experiences and what we thought we'd be doing or who we thought we'd "be", changes. DM became a surgeon and was/is exceptionally good at it. Before Louisa, by all accounts, DM immersed himself in his hospital life -- all work and no (interest in) play for our boy!

But what was once everything to him, might not be as important anymore. Life brought him "something new" (Louisa, JH & a job as a GP) and through these 5 series, his desires have changed to include a family, possibly his position as GP, too? DM once said that being a surgeon was all he was really good at. Well, he's a damn fine daddy and GP, too! Now, let's see him work on his new role as husband...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to defend the Doc in S5. I think he did realize that he had to consider Louisa's wishes. At least he was cautious that she expected that. However, he would have needed some guidance as he had never the practise in considering the needs of others.
    When Louisa asks what he thinks about the colour for the living room, he asks "What do you want me to think of it."
    He might sense that the question is important to her and that she expects a certain answer. However, he doesn't have a clue what is expected of him.

You made some very good points, BodminDM. That question, "What do you want me to think of it?" was significant. Didn't he also once ask her something like, "What do you want me to say?" He is clueless and in S5 he does seem to want to learn. When Louisa said to him immediately after the birth of JH, "You could learn," I wish she kept that phrase in her mind and helped him learn to be a partner in a relationship too. Unfortunately, she didn't make that suggestion in that context so far and he hasn't verbalized his need to learn about that too.

In S5 E6 when Louisa slams him for scheduling the christening without consulting her, she says, "You've got to ask me." He, I think, responds, "It doesn't seem too hard." I think this is his way of telling her that he understands and has learned this particular lesson. The problem is that he says it in such a business-like way, almost "duly noted - time for dinner"), but she's sitting there with hurt feelings and emotions still shooting around in every direction so it doesn't occur to her that this is what he's trying to impart. Instead, she stays upset, cooks an egg, and leaves. The fact that she has to say, "It's not about eggs," shows us just how clueless he is. Please, Martin, you've got to learn it's not just what you say but how you say it too.

We need to be their marriage counselors.
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    According to Nikola Hayes, the baby was dressed in baby blue trousers, navy blue v-neck jumper and cream colored top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy on Facebook doc martin (martin clunes) fan club just posted a distant photo of MC. She says they are filming 2 versions of the wedding? Could be that she doesn't realise that they need to do several takes of each scene.

Looks like they cleaned just enough of the outside of the church for their filming to make us think it is white!

There have been more comments and one of the crew told them they shot two versions of the wedding one where DM storms out and one where they went through with it.

Is this just the crew winding fans up? Cos they shot the reception.

Can now see said crew member laughing as he reads this. I have your number, matey, and will come and get you back!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the babies clothes at the wedding reception:

Nikola Hayes wrote: I think it was baby blue trousers and a navy v neck jumper with a cream top under it! X

Oh, good! Thanks, cookie. So now we know. Those aren't christening clothes. That's what a baby dressed up for a wedding would wear. Sounds cute!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes! This is my take on DM and life in general. Throughout our time on this earth, we are continually evolving. Life brings us new experiences and what we thought we'd be doing or who we thought we'd "be", changes. DM became a surgeon and was/is exceptionally good at it. Before Louisa, by all accounts, DM immersed himself in his hospital life -- all work and no (interest in) play for our boy!

But what was once everything to him, might not be as important anymore. Life brought him "something new" (Louisa, JH & a job as a GP) and through these 5 series, his desires have changed to include a family, possibly his position as GP, too? DM once said that being a surgeon was all he was really good at. Well, he's a damn fine daddy and GP, too! Now, let's see him work on his new role as husband...:rolleyes:

This is so very true of everyones lives isn't it. Very good analysis.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those people not facebook savvy:

A lot of the photos on Facebook "doc Martin (martin clunes) fan club" are old. Some very very old (2007 etc). Some people are also commenting on really old posts which brings them up to the top. You have to check the date at the top. Just thought I would mention it as I was confused for a while.

Many of the older pictures that I posted a couple of years ago are back at the top. Many of them have only been recently 'liked' with no new comments. FB must have changed something again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been more comments and one of the crew told them they shot two versions of the wedding one where DM storms out and one where they went through with it.

Is this just the crew winding fans up? Cos they shot the reception.

Can now see said crew member laughing as he reads this. I have your number, matey, and will come and get you back!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, holy cow. :eek:

I bet you're right. They're trying to lead us down the garden path. One doesn't have a wedding reception, complete with a first dance, without a wedding. Well, Mark Mylow had a honeymoon in Hawaii without a bride, but I don't think that counts.

Yeah, they're deliberately trying to mislead us. Besides, two versions makes absolutely no sense unless we've got another dream sequence coming along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Oh, good! Thanks, cookie. So now we know. Those aren't christening clothes. That's what a baby dressed up for a wedding would wear. Sounds cute!:)

I was expecting JH to be in a suit!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member

Two versions only make sense if the wedding would be aired in the last episode and they might decide which one to show depending on the prospect of another series.
    Otherwise, I agree that it might be to lead the fans on.
    In any case, I'd love to see both versions and hope they'll show it in deleted scenes or something.

Another possibility might be that DM is late (taxi) and we see Louisa's worries about what might happen, and that might be the scene with DM storming out.
    No, I don't believe that myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I just found in FB don't even know how I searched DM. Phillip Blackwell says that he just finished two days of filming as an extra and it was grueling. He says he cannot say anything or they won't use him again. But he says that "it's going to be an interesting series once again" and "make sure to watch every episode it's an emotional rollercoaster of a show again"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Many of the older pictures that I posted a couple of years ago are back at the top. Many of them have only been recently 'liked' with no new comments. FB must have changed something again.

Maybe with everyone clicking on the assorted photos of filming, they're scrolling through 'til they get to the old ones too.

By the way, I think (hope) that if you click on this link to facebook, you'll start with the first of the new photos of the filming at the church, then scroll to the right for the rest. I noticed that things keep moving around and if you click on certain photos you have to go back and forth to see all of the new pix of filming at the church. It should start off with a photo of the church with lots of big bright lights pointed at it (which makes the walls look partially white).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151437533428541&set=o.6043216659&type=1&theater

Edited because I just checked my own link. This bunch of photos starts and ends with a photo of the church itself. Try scrolling to the right, or next, and you should see Bert, then Doc, etc. If you don't see them, go the other direction.

Forgot to mention that we've never seen Penhale in a dress uniform like that before, have we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Two versions only make sense if the wedding would be aired in the last episode and they might decide which one to show depending on the prospect of another series.
    In any case, I'd love to see both versions and hope they'll show it in deleted scenes or something.

Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »

Another possibility might be that DM is late (taxi) and we see Louisa's worries about what might happen, and that might be the scene with DM storming out.
    No, I don't believe that myself.

If they think fans were upset with the non-wedding at end of S3, that would be nothing compared to the reaction to the same thing happening again. It would really, really be dark. I cannot believe they would really do this. Certainly they couldn't segue directly from the loving optimistic ending of S5 to another failed attempt at a wedding. :eek::eek::eek::eek: Must go calm down now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of MC sightings today. At the airport and another from a woman sitting next to him on a plane. No word on the destination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they think fans were upset with the non-wedding at end of S3, that would be nothing compared to the reaction to the same thing happening again. It would really, really be dark. I cannot believe they would really do this. Certainly they couldn't segue directly from the loving optimistic ending of S5 to another failed attempt at a wedding. :eek::eek::eek::eek: Must go calm down now.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water. . .

Another non-wedding falls into the same category as a terrible cosmic joke - really a poke in the eye at the fans. If I had to guess, I don't think they'll do that to us, much less to the Doc and Louisa. But I can't say I'm not a little worried. Key people who acted as the guidance system/the rudder, for the series are gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of MC sightings today. At the airport and another from a woman sitting next to him on a plane. No word on the destination.

Does one fly from Cornwall to Dorset?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does one fly from Cornwall to Dorset?

Maybe if they don't have a drivers license...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Maybe if they don't have a drivers license...:rolleyes:

:DCute, Connie. My thought was that maybe he has a British Horse Society event somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

FWIW MC said in a recent interview that 'everyone likes a bit of dark'.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SusieSagitarius: I put my snorkel on and dived into the Ocean of Estrogen here (none of you certainly need HRT creme so quit pestering the Doc for some! :D) to bring you a bit more info on outdoor lighting for film. I found this picture of them shooting the first scene of series 3 and you will note how they are lighting it. The big piece of cloth/plastic is called a scrim and the big rectangular light they are using is called a softbox.

Both of these are used to soften and even out the ambient light. Note how all the spectators look in the ambient light then watch (or remember) how the light was in this scene in the show.

Adelie, thanks so much for satisfying my curiosity about this stuff. My bf is enjoying watching and learning from the vids also. What a gift to have you on this forum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I think he owns the London flat.

I don't think he does desire to be a surgeon above all else. His subconscious told him there was more to life than surgery - hence the Haemophobia - and he's been working his way through this. S5 desire to get back to London was to get away from Portwenn & LG at first then obligation to fulfil the contract he'd organised himself into. Whenever someone criticises Portwenn he always defends it despite not thinking highly of the villagers.

No one except the the really, really, really rich actually owns anything in places like Kensington or Knightsbridge where Martin once 'owned' a flat and, as I suspect, he leased a new flat in the same area for his move back to London. They sign 99 year leases if they want to 'own' it. Why? The land that everything sits on is owned by people who are descendants of the ancient ruling elite like the Duke of Westminster, Earl of Cadogan, The Grosvenor Estate, etc. and they lease the land to people to build homes/businesses on. Under Leasehold Reform Act of 1993 people who own leases are allowed to try to buy the land but the land is so expensive that only a very few can-people like Saudi oil sheiks, Richard Branson or Bill Gates. For example the freehold that the store Harvey Nichols sits on is valued at £35 million-well above the wallet of the likes of one Martin Ellingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FWIW MC said in a recent interview that 'everyone likes a bit of dark'.

He was talking about his TV movie at the time. We don't want that with DM.:( I know some people have described series 5 as 'dark' but I didn't really see it that way. I thought it showed us much more about DM's and Louisa's childhood. The dreams, old photo's, and Eleanor's arrival gave us more to absorb regarding their backgrounds. There were other wonderful things but I think these were important to the storyline.
This discussion has been closed.