Shooting in Woolwich, London

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more Muslims do this, the more hated they become in society. They will find trouble in getting jobs, finding housing,etc, which in turn leads to more resentment and killings.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    drykid wrote: »
    LiveLeak says they were Somalians. No idea what the basis for that is.

Doesn't look Somali to me, looks West African, probably Nigerian.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member

Doesn't look Somalian - maybe Nigerian origin but born in Britain? His accent sounds a mix of Nigerian and South London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizarre. Even saying sorry for the women having to witness the attack. He seems so calm. Scary.

He also sounds very much like a Londoner.
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Having just seen the footage on ITV news, not being aware of this until then, I don't think anyone would have complained if the police had shot them dead.

That would have sent a message out to maverick tosspots who think their deluded ideals can be carried out in this country.

I suspect that's what they wanted - go down in a blaze of misguided glory. Virgins and all that crap.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    But the victim was in the street.

When the threat level is raised it also effects those travelling to and from the base/establishment/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Reading on Twitter that none of the eyewitnesses heard 'Allahu Akbar' being shouted.

Correct. Twitter confirms that those two words were not used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Then perhaps give greater consideration to the consequences of invading and generally interfering in other countries.
    You know Islamic terrorism was trying to attack the West, including Britain, before we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq? Indeed we only invaded Afghanistan because the terrorists they were harbouring did attack. There was a plot uncovered in the UK in 2000, before both of those wars.

So no, they're not attacking us just because we invaded Muslim lands.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    It was but people will try and make out the guy was completely off his head. Of course he was, its called Islam. Delusion has no bounds.

You could say that about Christians for hundreds of years.,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is events like this that can light the match paper so to speak. Although I think this is more a case of two low life piece of scum who want attention and will do anything to get it.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more Muslims do this, the more hated they become in society. They will find trouble in getting jobs, finding housing,etc, which in turn leads to more resentment and killings.

"The more Muslims do this.." What? All two million of them?
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    We have? What have we heard?

Your continued crusade to defend scum and critisize anyone who may be slightly outraged.....
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Funny how the apologists go on about how rare terrorism is.

Not many young black men are murdered at bus stops but we never heard the last of it when Stephen Lawrence was murdered.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just seen the footage on ITV news, not being aware of this until then, I don't think anyone would have complained if the police had shot them dead.

That would have sent a message out to maverick tosspots who think their deluded ideals can be carried out in this country.

That suicide terrorists will be killed ? Not sure that will have the effect you think it will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the threat level is raised it also effects those travelling to and from the base/establishment/

How would this be achieved? Do you propose to have armed police on every corner near the bases?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    A COBRA meeting is taking place right now because of a murder. It tells me all I need to know.

What's that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Not letting people into the country willy-nilly would be a good starting point.

Well, the attacker spoke with a London accent. Maybe we should just deport anyone a bit brown in case they're a terrorist. :rolleyes:
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy with the cleaver doesn't look Somalian. He sounds as though he's from London.:confused:
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Isambard and Winston often have their cigars removed.

Are you serious? And if so for how long?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    No, of course it wouldn't be. There's almost no risk of some sort of 'tit for tat' civil war that you might think would be very exciting but isn't going to happen.

If we spent half the money we do on fighting terrorism on improving road safety, getting people more fit and healthy or whatever, we'd save thousands more lives. The cost would be a few more amateur terrorist attacks where a handful of people would be killed.

Even 9/11 - which killed 3000 people, is a totally insignificant event in the grand scheme of things. Think of all the people whose lives are ended early by pollution. Think of all the needless deaths on the roads. Think of the people murdered every day in their own homes by their family members. Boring, every day events, all of which pose a very real risk to you and the people you care about. Terror attacks, you're irrational for even worrying about them for one second. It i virtually certain they will not happen to you. You probably will be killed by a disease or in some sort of accident. Now ask yourself, if saving lives is what counts, why are we discussing this instead of obesity? The answer is because its boring, it doesn't excite people. But that's because people are irrational. They don't know what's good for them.

Relativising it in the way you ("compared to Hiroshima ...." or whatever) are will lead to exactly the kind of slow steady escalation of tension and violence that the extreme right as well as the islamic fundamentalists want because it caters to their ideological agenda.

Unlike you I happen to think that is not a good idea.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hours of watching the event from BBC News, and poor young man beheaded, R.I.P, condolences to his family and friends. :(

Hope none of those school kids saw it happen, as it would stay with them for ever. Assumptions remains that he was a soldier, but it's unknown if he was, as the MOD hasn't said.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems so calm for someone who has brutally murdered a person with a knife just minutes ago.

Perhaps he has killed before?
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here, here! We are already seen as soft as it is. Shooting them would have sent a message.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, which is the sad thing.
This discussion has been closed.