Options

Where to go in Portugal?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
Forum Member
Hey hey people!
Me and a couple of my friends are looking to go Portugal next year. it was meant to be a trip to Miami, but we postponed that for the year after, realising we need a bit more money lol.
But we are looking to go Portugal and was wondering what the places to go are?
We are looking for beach, women, and bars, and not too many tourists. Also maybe a separate island we can go to while we are there.
Beautiful sights are welcome too.
hope to get a many ideas
thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva in Praia da Luz is very nice.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went there quite a bit when I was younger, I have to say, I've never had a "bad" time in Portugal.
    Difficult to find anywhere where the ubiquitous tourists don't go, especially as you stipulate beaches and bars.
    It would be easier to suggest places where less tourists aim for, like the western coast, Coimbra, Cascais, Setubal etc.
    Minor setback in those places is the fact that although it gets hot enough in July and August, it is not as hot as Algarve.
    You sound as though you are of the younger generation, Albufeira might suit you, providing you can understand English
    spoken in a northern accent, and you like burgers and chips.
    It is also overrun with English girls in the summer, who are so easy you can lay them down with an eyelash flick.
    I'd never give Brad Pitt sleepless nights, but I'm brutally handsome, (to quote the Eagles, Life in the Fast Lane.)
    I was born in France, and still speak with a French accent, so when homing in on a bunch of English girls
    my English friends would send me in on point as it were, the girls would lap it up and we were usually home free.
    I'm not aware of any islands close to the Portuguese coast, The Azores and Madeira are Portuguese, but quite far away.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Algarve a few years back and i must admit the beach there takes a lots of beating with the great rocks coming out of the sea it is beautiful!. That said!, that is all i found good about the place!, We had to change hotels rooms 3 times before we got one that wasn't over the main drain system and didn't smell like mad!..:(..... There was a lot of bars but they were all Irish bars!...I dont mean to run the Irish down but it is just not what you expect when you go to Portugal!, you expect Potugese type bars!..

Having said that!. whether we were just unlucky or not i don't know but!. most of the Portugese people we met were very off hand and rude in the way they spoke to us as if they really couldn't be bothered with tourists!..

All in all not a great holiday and i certainly wont be rushing back there any time this century!! :D
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Certainly a lot more quiet these days, if the OP wants a nice relaxing stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey. We are in our very early 20s. I am from London, although I am from asia. I can understand all types of English lol and speak it well. the thing about burger and chips, I wouldn't want tog o to Portugal to see and experience the same things I would here, same with the English girls too lol. a fair few is alright but to be overrun, there wouldn't be no point.
    I am actually looking to go towards Algrave though, You have any information about that?

Lol @ the brad pitt comment
    I went there quite a bit when I was younger, I have to say, I've never had a "bad" time in Portugal.
    Difficult to find anywhere where the ubiquitous tourists don't go, especially as you stipulate beaches and bars.
    It would be easier to suggest places where less tourists aim for, like the western coast, Coimbra, Cascais, Setubal etc.
    Minor setback in those places is the fact that although it gets hot enough in July and August, it is not as hot as Algarve.
    You sound as though you are of the younger generation, Albufeira might suit you, providing you can understand English
    spoken in a northern accent, and you like burgers and chips.
    It is also overrun with English girls in the summer, who are so easy you can lay them down with an eyelash flick.
    I'd never give Brad Pitt sleepless nights, but I'm brutally handsome, (to quote the Eagles, Life in the Fast Lane.)
    I was born in France, and still speak with a French accent, so when homing in on a bunch of English girls
    my English friends would send me in on point as it were, the girls would lap it up and we were usually home free.
    I'm not aware of any islands close to the Portuguese coast, The Azores and Madeira are Portuguese, but quite far away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doesn't sound like you had a bad time. how long ago was it
    mklass wrote: »
    I went to the Algarve a few years back and i must admit the beach there takes a lots of beating with the great rocks coming out of the sea it is beautiful!. That said!, that is all i found good about the place!, We had to change hotels rooms 3 times before we got one that wasn't over the main drain system and didn't smell like mad!..:(..... There was a lot of bars but they were all Irish bars!...I dont mean to run the Irish down but it is just not what you expect when you go to Portugal!, you expect Potugese type bars!..

Having said that!. whether we were just unlucky or not i don't know but!. most of the Portugese people we met were very off hand and rude in the way they spoke to us as if they really couldn't be bothered with tourists!..

All in all not a great holiday and i certainly wont be rushing back there any time this century!! :D
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silver Coast, Praia de'l Rey is gorgeous, unspoilt and not 'touristy'. Miles of sand and hardly any people. Also recommend Caneiros, but this can be a bit busier.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal

As a general rule - the Algarve is a plebby shithole and the rest is worth visiting
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Remember to count your kids on the way back :) joking aside the algarve is nice
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey. We are in our very early 20s. I am from London, although I am from asia. I can understand all types of English lol and speak it well. the thing about burger and chips, I wouldn't want tog o to Portugal to see and experience the same things I would here, same with the English girls too lol. a fair few is alright but to be overrun, there wouldn't be no point.
    I am actually looking to go towards Algrave though, You have any information about that?

Lol @ the brad pitt comment

It's all a bit hazy, and in my past now, but I asked around my nieces and nephews, and they suggested.
    Meeting Room- in Tavira, east of Faro, Boomerang in Villamoura, west of Faro.
    Le Club, and Lipstick, both in Albufeira.
    Good beaches and bars - Olhao, Quartera, Carvoiero, Armacao de Pera.
    Don't forget to say faz favor and obrigado, politeness goes a long way.
    Have a great time.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The silver coast is stunning . Fabulous beaches and wonderful surfing if you like that .
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually its is a lovely spot . It may have history but that doesnt change the fact that its a lovely area with really lovely apartments and restaurants etc .
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal

As a general rule - the Algarve is a plebby shithole and the rest is worth visiting

Hard to argue with that, a shame, but true IMO.
    Lisboa and Oporto are beautiful places.
    In the Algarve, Carvoiero is nice, some excellent restaurants, Portimao is interesting too.
    Albufeira is like plebsville in the summer, the Old Town and The Strip can be ghastly.
    Go one klm. north of Avenida dos Descobrimentos, toward Tavernes and
    Tunes however, and you'll find great Portuguese restaurants.
    You'll rarely if ever find a chav with an England football shirt on out that way.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't sound like you had a bad time. how long ago was it

Doesn't it?..... i couldn't have explained it very well then!. what part of i wont be going back any time this century sound like i didn't have a bad time? ;):D,,,,, But answering your question!,,, it was about 4 years ago i think!...
    Portugal

You took the words right out of my mouth Reg!.....:D
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cascais for me .. a 30 min train ride from Lisboa,surfing at Guincho beach, fantastic food, beaches, people. Love it.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Lisbon. Spent a week there a few years ago and had a great stay. It is small enough to explore on foot or by tram. It's also a good base to explore the surrounding area by train.
  • Options
    tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adore Portugal.

We stay in the Odemira region which is inland, but regularly travel to all stretches of the Algarve and love every second.

Some areas come across as a little scruffy (houses in desperate need of painting etc), but the people are friendly and welcoming, there is a wide range of cuisines and plenty of bars, beaches etc.

If you end up in Albufeira, visit Shalom or Shalom II restaurants. A mix of Portuguese and Dutch cuisines, the food is lovely and staff very friendly.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albufeira is fantastic as long as you stop in the Old Town area - loads of bars and restaurants for grown ups and families and a great beach. The New Town area, also known as "the strip", is the Club 18-30 hell hole and is best avoided unless you are in the 18-30 demographic.

As mentioned above, Lisbon is a good base. The city itself is like a mini version of Barcelona (only cheaper and with fewer pickpockets) with a great nightlife. Public transport is very cheap so it is easy to explore along the coast to Cascais and Estoril or up into the mountains to Sintra.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Praia da Luz, but not if you have kids.