Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Carry On At Your Convenience is on television on Easter Monday, 21st April, 2014

Carry On At Your Convenience - one of the best Carry On films - is being broadcast on ITV 3 on Easter Monday, 21st April, 2014, from 9.35 am to 11.30 am (and from 10.35 am on the same day on ITV 3 +1). As mentioned in the last posting to this thread, Carry On At Your Convenience is also on ITV 3 from `11.35 am today (Saturday, 19th April, 2014) and from 12.35 am today on ITV 3 +1.

The showings of Carry On At Your Convenience - the twenty-second Carry On film - today and on Easter Monday replace Carry On Cruising which was listed in the television guide I looked at earlier this week as the Carry On film to be broadcast at the times Carry On At Your Convenience is on this Easter.

For any readers who do not know there is a list of Carry On films on television over Easter in posting number 2693 to this thread.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carry On at Your Convenience was unsuccessful when first released as the working-class Carry On audience felt it was too right-wing and made a mockery of trade unions.

It only became a cult in the years afterwards. It's one of my favourites too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On at Your Convenience was unsuccessful when first released as the working-class Carry On audience felt it was too right-wing and made a mockery of trade unions. It only became a cult in the years afterwards. It's one of my favourites too.

I wrote in posting number 2688 to this thread on 12.4.2014 that I hoped Carry On At Your Convenience would be shown over Easter and they have put it on :cool:. It appears to have replaced Carry On Cruising which was listed in the television guide I looked at as the Carry On film to be shown during the times Carry On At Your Convenience was on. Carry On Cruising may well have been dropped this time because of the terrible boat accident in the waters of South Korea.

I am glad, BritFlicks, that Carry On At Your Convenience is also one of your favourite Carry Ons. I very much enjoyed watching it on television yesterday. It was the first time it has been shown on an ITV channel for some years. I think that Hattie and Sid were the right people for the roles they played in the film.

I do not suppose Carry On At Your Convenience will be on during the next Bank Holiday weekend but I hope that ITV will show it again later this year. It should be broadcast regularly.

As mentioned in posting number 2702, Carry On At Your Convenience will be on again on ITV 3 and ITV 3 +1 on Bank Holiday Monday (from 9.35 am on ITV 3 and from 10.35 am on ITV 3 +1).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Girls is on television on Bank Holiday Monday, 21.4.2014

Carry On Girls - the twenty-fifth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 tomorrow (Bank Holiday Monday) from 1.20 am to 2.55 am (from 2.20 am on ITV 3 +1).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    .....Readers might also like to the see the three On The Buses films based on the popular London Weekend Television/ITV comedy series:

On The Buses, ITV 3, 1.20 pm to 3.10 pm
    Mutiny On The Buses, ITV3, 3.10 pm to 5 pm
    Holiday On The Buses, ITV 3, 5 pm to 6.50 pm

All films on ITV 3 start on ITV 3 +1 an hour later than the times given above.

Excellent list - thank you :) - and to add:-

TUE. 22ND:-
    ON THE BUSES (1971), ITV3 7.20-9.10am (+1 8.20-10.10am).

Thank you, Mr Sirs, for your comment about my list in posting number 2693 of Carry On films on over Easter and for adding the showing next Tuesday of On The Buses to the list. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On films on television on Bank Holiday Monday, 21.4.2014

List updated

Monday 21st April, 2014

Carry On Girls (the twenty-fifth Carry On film ), ITV 3, 1.20 am to 2.55 am

Carry On At Your Convenience (the sixth Carry On film), ITV 3, 9.35 am to 11.30 am

Readers might also like to see:

George and Mildred (the film based on the popular Thames Television/ITV comedy series), ITV 3, 6.10 am to 7.55 am

Readers might also like to the see the three On The Buses films based on the popular London Weekend Television/ITV comedy series:

On The Buses, ITV 3, 1.20 pm to 3.10 pm
    Mutiny On The Buses, ITV3, 3.10 pm to 5 pm
    Holiday On The Buses, ITV 3, 5 pm to 6.50 pm

All films on ITV 3 start on ITV 3 +1 an hour later than the times given above.

As mentioned by Mr Sirs in posting 2698, the film On The Buses is also on ITV 3 on Tuesday 22.4.2014 (from 7.20 am on ITV 3 and from 8.20 am on ITV 3 +1).
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking ahead, here are some more screenings to enjoy:-

SAT. 26TH:-

MUTINY ON THE BUSES (1972), ITV3 9.50-11.40am (+1 10.50am-12.40pm).

CARRY ON FOLLOW THAT CAMEL (1967), ITV3 11.55pm-1.50am (+1 12.55-2.50am).

SUN. 27TH:-

HOLIDAY ON THE BUSES (1973), ITV3 7.25-9.10am (+1 8.25-10.10am).
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did all the carry on films make money?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Carry On At Your Convenience is on television on Easter Monday, 21st April, 2014

Carry On At Your Convenience - one of the best Carry On films - is being broadcast on ITV 3 on Easter Monday, 21st April, 2014, from 9.35 am to 11.30 am (and from 10.35 am on the same day on ITV 3 +1). As mentioned in the last posting to this thread, Carry On At Your Convenience is also on ITV 3 from `11.35 am today (Saturday, 19th April, 2014) and from 12.35 am today on ITV 3 +1.

The showings of Carry On At Your Convenience - the twenty-second Carry On film - today and on Easter Monday replace Carry On Cruising which was listed in the television guide I looked at earlier this week as the Carry On film to be broadcast at the times Carry On At Your Convenience is on this Easter.

For any readers who do not know there is a list of Carry On films on television over Easter in posting number 2693 to this thread.

Anyone know the road where the Spanners house was? It was a nice wide, residential road.
  • Options
    captainhaddockcaptainhaddock Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Anyone know the road where the Spanners house was? It was a nice wide, residential road.

some locations here including the Spanners house :)

http://www.thewhippitinn.com/carry_on_film_locations/carry_on_at_your_convenience/

Dave.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

http://www.thewhippitinn.com/carry_on_film_locations/carry_on_at_your_convenience/

Dave.

Baker Street! Wow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dave.

Excellent. Thanks for the link to that site. :)
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some good footage of how Brighton Pier used to be, especially of the ghost train before it burnt down, and way better than the rubbishy thing they have now (the one that featured in an episode of Midsomer Murders).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As mentioned by Mr Sirs in posting number 2708 to this thread, Holiday On The Buses is on television today.

It has just started on ITV 3 and (also as mentioned by Mr Sirs) can also be seen on ITV 3 +1 today from 8.25 am (for those who can get ITV 3 +1 during the day).

Holiday On The Buses is the last (and, in my opinion, the best) of the three films based on the popular On The Buses series made for ITV by London Weekend Television.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Some good footage of how Brighton Pier used to be, especially of the ghost train before it burnt down, and way better than the rubbishy thing they have now (the one that featured in an episode of Midsomer Murders).

I remember reading they used the Palace Pier (now Brighton Pier) for At Your Convenience and the West Pier for Girls.

Girls was made in 1973 and the West Pier closed in 1975.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Always the same films. Why dont they show others like Screaming and Spy?

I agree. I used to love the Carry On films but it's the same ones shown, every bank holiday...or so it seems. Same with 'On the Buses'. These weren't shown for years - in fact probably only in the last five, but ITV have certainly made up for owning the rights to them now.

My favourite Carry Ons are 'At your Convenience, Abroad, Camping, and Doctor. Matron is also OK. Jack, England and Emmannuel are three I've seen but wouldn't bother to watch again. Of the B&W ones I really like Spying and Cabby - but these are rarely shown.

It's a bank hol weekend next weekend (again!). Wonder whether the same Carry Ons will get another airing?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they all get a fair amount of screen time, even the not very good "Don't Lose Your Head " and " Follow That Camel " were on recently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again with another round up of Carry On films coming our way (up to & incl. Fri. 9th May) :p:-

SAT. 3RD:-

CARRY ON TEACHER (1959),Gold 3.00-4.50pm (+1 4.00-5.50pm).

SUN. 4TH:-

CARRY ON TEACHER (1959), Gold 8.25-10.10am (+1 9.25-11.10am).

CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Gold 3.20-5.00pm (+1 4.20-6.00pm).

MON. 5TH:-

CARRY ON CONSTABLE (1960), Gold 8.10-9.55am (+1 9.10-10.55am).

CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Gold 9.55-11.40am (+1 10.55am-12.40pm).

THE UNFORGETTABLE JOAN SIMS - A profile of the Carry On star, ITV 11.30am-12noon (+1 12.30-1.00pm).

CARRY ON CONSTABLE (1960), Gold 4.00-5.40pm (+1 5.00-6.40pm).
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »

SUN. 4TH:-

CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Gold 3.20-5.00pm (+1 4.20-6.00pm).

Just watching the programme after the above film (and ever so very slightly related to the Carry Ons) - 'John Le Mesurier...' - showing home movies of him and Hattie with their two boys as well as other clips where they appeared at events together, including the clip of This Is Your Life when they had effectively separated but kept his genuine stance of a gentleman, and clips of the John Scolfield (sp?) - the guy Hattie had that affair with. One of their son also talks on the programme about his parents and John's third wife (I didn't know he was married before Hattie!).

Interesting programme so far, on at 6pm on Gold +1 if anyone else wishes to see it from the start. :)
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine for those with Gold but not for the rest of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As mentioned by Mr Sirs in posting 2719 The Unforgettable Joan Sims is just starting on ITV 1 +1 (12.30 pm to 1 pm).
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came across this 8 minute behind the scenes clip of Carry On Henry with interviews from Sid James, Kenneth Williams and Terry Scott. I've not seen it before. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more screenings to look forward to:-

CARRY ON ABROAD (1972) - Film4, Sat. 17th 4.55-6.40pm (+1 5.55-7.40pm) & Fri. 23rd 4.55-6.40pm (+1 5.55-7.40pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more screenings to look forward to:-

CARRY ON ABROAD - Film4, Fri. 23rd 4.55-6.40pm (+1 5.55-7.40pm).

CARRY ON REGARDLESS - Gold, Sat. 24th 2.45-4.35pm (+1 3.45-5.35pm).

CARRY ON CABBY - Gold, Sun. 25th 12.40-2.30pm (+1 1.40-3.30pm) & Mon. 26th 9.10-11.00am (+1 10.10am-12noon).

CARRY ON SPYING - Gold, Mon. 26th 7.25-9.10am (+1 8.25-10.10am) & 1.05-2.50pm (+1 2.05-3.50pm).

CARRY ON DICK - Film4, Wed. 28th 12.55-2.45pm (+1 1.55-3.45pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Dick - the twenty-sixth Carry On flim and the last Carry on film with Carry On legend Sid James - has just started on Film 4 +1 (12 noon to 1.50 pm).