Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 10)

Comments

• KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The Nat West Bank ad with the little girl saying her mum is magic >:(
    kezo wrote: »
    I think I seen it last night however it was for their other bank RBS (but dubbed for Scottish viewers)

It's not dubbed; aside from digitally-modified branding, the exact same footage and voiceover is used for the Nat West and RBS versions (click the links to compare).

What surprises me for a UK-wide advert is that (as a Scot myself) I would have said that the girl's accent- i.e. including the "English" NatWest ads- is Scottish, just not especially broad. (Listen to the manner in which she emphasises the word "phone").

Ironic, given that NatWest's presence in Scotland has never been significant (**), but I doubt most English people would be aware of this, so it probably doesn't come across as incongruous, assuming they noticed the relatively subtle accent anyway.

(*) Isn't the real "magic" how the exact same bank ATM suddenly has different livery :D

(**) I don't remember them as a kid at all, and even after the RBS takeover apparently there are only 7 branches in Scotland. Having checked, I see that there *is* a single branch in the town I live in (versus many RBS), but even that's slightly more out of the way than the other city centre bank branches.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    That one is really annoying. I turn the sound off when it comes on.

YESSSSSS!!!!! oh no!!! .... YESSSSSS!!!! >:(, I swear I think it was an ad for "grass" ie Miracle Gro but its for Cuprinol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    It's not dubbed; aside from digitally-modified branding, the exact same footage and voiceover is used for the Nat West and RBS versions (click the links to compare).

What surprises me for a UK-wide advert is that (as a Scot myself) I would have said that the girl's accent- i.e. including the "English" NatWest ads- is Scottish, just not especially broad. (Listen to the manner in which she emphasises the word "phone").

Ironic, given that NatWest's presence in Scotland has never been significant (**), but I doubt most English people would be aware of this, so it probably doesn't come across as incongruous, assuming they noticed the relatively subtle accent anyway.

(*) Isn't the real "magic" how the exact same bank ATM suddenly has different livery :D

(**) I don't remember them as a kid at all, and even after the RBS takeover apparently there are only 7 branches in Scotland. Having checked, I see that there *is* a single branch in the town I live in (versus many RBS), but even that's slightly more out of the way than the other city centre bank branches.

I think it was their previous ad campaign, you actually heard the dubbing - same person but had a Scottish accent, I understand both banks are linked together (obviously) but surely if the ad has lets say and English accent why dub it and put on a Scottish accent? I count myself that yes I am Scottish and I am British too but just to change accent in a ad is beyond pointless (yet the only channels I am aware that show the "Scottish" ads is STV/Channel 4) - next there will be a Gaelic ad for RBS :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a full check up last week, my blood pressure is just fine, and at almost 77 I am not going to waste my time worrying about what might kill me. :D

You might want to check what Listerene was first developed for use of....good for you having your own at 77...I wish mine were all "mine" at 67.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    "From Victoria Plumb" ahhhhhhhhh

Yeah, that's starting to piss me off, too.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jim Beam advert with Mila Kunis. "That's how Jim Beam makes history. How will you make yours?"

The San Miguel advert with an anonymous Hispanic voiceover. "Time...we have no time for."

These and every other pretentious, self-important advert trying to convince us that a drink is more than a drink.

It's not.

It's a f***ing drink.

Alos, the Cobra 'braco' advert which isn't pretentious, just annoying.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was their previous ad campaign, you actually heard the dubbing - same person but had a Scottish accent, I understand both banks are linked together (obviously) but surely if the ad has lets say and English accent why dub it and put on a Scottish accent? I count myself that yes I am Scottish and I am British too but just to change accent in a ad is beyond pointless (yet the only channels I am aware that show the "Scottish" ads is STV/Channel 4) - next there will be a Gaelic ad for RBS :o:D

(1)

I suspect this is because STV and Channel 4 offer Scotland-specific advertising. If this weren't the case, it presumably would be inefficient and uneconomic to run TV ads targetting Scottish customers across the entire UK. (*)

Conversely, I assume some of the smaller (non-big-five) Freeview channels don't offer advertising by region, as I've seen NatWest ads in Scotland on those channels. (**)

In that case though, IIRC they *did* use different footage and voiceovers, even though they were obviously using near-identical scripts and templates. I think it would look weird and fake if they simply dubbed a NatWest one for Scottish viewers as any Scottish viewer seeing both would see how disingenuous it was.

(*) Question; since the RBS ads seem to target Scottish customers... Are there many RBS (i.e. RBS *branded*) banks in England, and do they advertise it significantly down there?

(**) The assumption being that those were shown with the much larger English audience in mind. Even if they thought it was worth specifically advertising NatWest to Scottish viewers (given its limited presence here), presumably they'd do that with adverts that weren't similar or identical to the RBS ones.

(2)

Regarding whether an "English" ad for a (primarily) English bank should be reused without redubbing for a Scottish bank....

Firstly, let me say that it could be fairly argued that many English (or rather, English-accented) people work in Scotland and there's no fair reason why such a person shouldn't promote a Scottish business.

The problem is that culture within the UK is already strongly biased towards London and the south-east of England, e.g. in terms of accent that's the accepted "standard" accent for UK-wide advertising (it's not as bad as it used to be, but "regional" accents will still be used *because* of their perceived regional qualities).

And if you're trying to promote your business (i.e. bank) as being Scottish and in touch with "local" Scottish needs rather than part of a distant, Anglo-centric institution located in London (*), then using a generic South-East England accent weakens that perception, whether that's fair or not.

OTOH, if the reason for that English accent is that it wasn't even an ad for that Scottish institution in the first place, it pretty much *would* deserve to be torn apart because it would show that your allegedly "Scottish" institution was just some tartan branding slapped onto that London bank's ads.

That's why- IMHO- it would be a bad idea to simply redub an (e.g.) NatWest ad as an RBS one.

(3)

No, they're not likely to do a Gaelic TV ad because not enough people speak the language. Only way that might happen would be more as a publicity stunt- possibly shown once or twice for the sake of emphasising their Scottishness and getting into the papers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    That new Natwest advert. It's not just the fact that a bank is using a little girl to sell their product. It's that the little girl in question can't act! And her stupid voice annoys me so much I have to mute it immediately. Yeah, I know I sound heartless...

'I think my mum's magic.' ughhhh *mute*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    (1)

I suspect this is because STV and Channel 4 offer Scotland-specific advertising. If this weren't the case, it presumably would be inefficient and uneconomic to run TV ads targetting Scottish customers across the entire UK. (*)

Conversely, I assume some of the smaller (non-big-five) Freeview channels don't offer advertising by region, as I've seen NatWest ads in Scotland on those channels. (**)

In that case though, IIRC they *did* use different footage and voiceovers, even though they were obviously using near-identical scripts and templates. I think it would look weird and fake if they simply dubbed a NatWest one for Scottish viewers as any Scottish viewer seeing both would see how disingenuous it was.

(*) Question; since the RBS ads seem to target Scottish customers... Are there many RBS (i.e. RBS *branded*) banks in England, and do they advertise it significantly down there?

(**) The assumption being that those were shown with the much larger English audience in mind. Even if they thought it was worth specifically advertising NatWest to Scottish viewers (given its limited presence here), presumably they'd do that with adverts that weren't similar or identical to the RBS ones.

(2)

Regarding whether an "English" ad for a (primarily) English bank should be reused without redubbing for a Scottish bank....

Firstly, let me say that it could be fairly argued that many English (or rather, English-accented) people work in Scotland and there's no fair reason why such a person shouldn't promote a Scottish business.

The problem is that culture within the UK is already strongly biased towards London and the south-east of England, e.g. in terms of accent that's the accepted "standard" accent for UK-wide advertising (it's not as bad as it used to be, but "regional" accents will still be used *because* of their perceived regional qualities).

And if you're trying to promote your business (i.e. bank) as being Scottish and in touch with "local" Scottish needs rather than part of a distant, Anglo-centric institution located in London (*), then using a generic South-East England accent weakens that perception, whether that's fair or not.

OTOH, if the reason for that English accent is that it wasn't even an ad for that Scottish institution in the first place, it pretty much *would* deserve to be torn apart because it would show that your allegedly "Scottish" institution was just some tartan branding slapped onto that London bank's ads.

That's why- IMHO- it would be a bad idea to simply redub an (e.g.) NatWest ad as an RBS one.

(3)

No, they're not likely to do a Gaelic TV ad because not enough people speak the language. Only way that might happen would be more as a publicity stunt- possibly shown once or twice for the sake of emphasising their Scottishness and getting into the papers.

You make good points there Kodaz, I have always wondered why its done, I know Channel 4 does run "sponsored ads" by region - you can watch a programme sponsored by British Gas but up in Scotland its Scottish Gas (using the same animation as an example), I think STV stick to the Scottish brand of things such as banks whilst the likes of Channel 4 and possibly Channel 5 can use either or ie RBS/Natwest, as in other channels on Sky will use Natwest more than Natwest - I can be wrong!

The only main differences you spot on their ads is another example the "call centre" ad - Guy out partying phones Natwest/RBS - speaks to person (one ad features the guy in call centre with RBS in background and I think same ad appears in England same guy with Natwest in background), same actors are in both ads as well but will be different voiceovers - unsure who does Natwest but its Ken Stott (Rebus) that done RBS.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure where they're going with that one. "LOL ADULTERY!"

At least Clipper Tea is just using the idea of adultery as a comicial element (ie they are cheating on their usual brand of tea).

Below is a real advert (from the US of all places) where all they promote is adultery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvq_vITdQsI

Although I do prefer the Simpsons parody of the above company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OSn4rKdOvw
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calgon, awful dubbing, what was the original language?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    If advertisers aren't making dads look ridiculous, or women look incredibly savvy, they're making guys look like dicks who treat girls badly.

I want to see the counter ads to the shepards pie ad, where it's the guy that is upset because it turns out the girl was acting like a spoilt biach, or the counter ad to the kingsmill ad where the poor guy they turn into an egg and whack on the head gets his say :p

Is there something about girls breaking up with their boyfriends that makes them want to buy more bread and shepards pie?! Who knows, but I do know I'm sick of the advert storylines. Either describe the product, or make it funny, otherwise go away!
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I notice that Charlie Dimmock has now taken to wearing bras
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually a hideous cynic, but I love the Nat West app ad, with the little girl and her magic mum. :blush::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    YESSSSSS!!!!! oh no!!! .... YESSSSSS!!!! >:(, I swear I think it was an ad for "grass" ie Miracle Gro but its for Cuprinol

You know what, until you'd said that I'd just assumed it was a grass growing advert. I normally zone out when it comes on, never knew it was paint and stuff. Just goes to show how weird, pointless, baffling and time wasting most ads are. I bet I'm not alone.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooo..that Ikea spinning kitchen ad makes me feel really travel sick *barfs*
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member

She probably has to these days - she's getting on a bit and if left to their own they'd be tickling her knees by now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elbarto171 wrote: »
    You know what, until you'd said that I'd just assumed it was a grass growing advert. I normally zone out when it comes on, never knew it was paint and stuff. Just goes to show how weird, pointless, baffling and time wasting most ads are. I bet I'm not alone.

Some ads these days are just plain weird/stupid if I am honest - example on this is why have a guy giving a "birds eye" view of gardens and saying "yay" "oh no!" you would assume it is for grass, yet at end it is about paint!

There has been a few I am sure that have done what you "thought" and turns out not to be! :confused:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has probably been mentioned before, but what on earth is the thinking behind having the Fawlty Towers theme playing in an advert about biscuits (with kittens?). Out of left field indeed.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned before, but what on earth is the thinking behind having the Fawlty Towers theme playing in an advert about biscuits (with kittens?). Out of left field indeed.

They've also used the theme to Blockbusters and another TV theme (I forget which) on other versions of the advert
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've also used the theme to Blockbusters and another TV theme (I forget which) on other versions of the advert

What's it all about? :confused: Am I missing something or is this another attempt to be (God help us) RANDOM?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    What's it all about? :confused: Am I missing something or is this another attempt to be (God help us) RANDOM?

Jaffa Cakes I believe is the ad (well the Blockbusters theme) ..... being honest I would not be surprised if this is a "trend" use well known "themes" in ads that have little associated with the ad - kinda like TV programmes these days
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

Really? That's a new one then, since the joke about her not wearing bras seems to have been going for about 15 years :D
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »

Yes I can't watch that advert. It makes me feel dizzy. Somebody should complain about that.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »

Its horrible, they should bring back the Auton family,
    What's with miniature things in adverts at the moment ? That pilgrim cheese cowboy has a lot to answer for.
    The stupid tiny cuprinol plane,with the bloke making silly noises which has been mentioned.
    Then another with a little bloke driving into a kitchen in a tiny orange car. Think its for some snack or something ?
This discussion has been closed.