George and Mildred

Comments

• riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjwhiteley wrote: »
    From the listings, it looks like each episode is shown at ~5:05pm each weekday evening, and repeated the next weekday morning at ~9:05am.

Thanks for that! I shall be tuning in! :)
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I hope we are all watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    He's married to Linda Regan (Hi-di-hi) 26 years his junior.

So she never married "Spike" after all? ;):D
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching on channel 119 today and it was horrible on my LG PK350 50 inch TV LOL.
    Did anyone else find this?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    This is making me laugh as much as it did decades ago!

George (Brian Murphy) is brilliant, one of the best ever characters on TV along with Arthur Daley and Delboy.

George having a check-up at the doctors -

Doctor - 'Do you smoke, Mr. Roper?'

George - 'Er, not at the moment, thanks'.

:D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was watching on channel 119 today and it was horrible on my LG PK350 50 inch TV LOL.

50 inch tv?:eek:
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Watched the Movie from series the other night ,,not very good but still a laugh, btw anybody know what happened to Trisdon, (Nicholas bond owen)
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I watched this show many a time being recorded at Teddington Studios.

Yootha used to hold court in the bar afterwards.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it's not HD Vido is it.

It looks good on a 21 inch CRT, which is what everyone had back in 1976 :confused:
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's not HD Vido is it.

It looks good on a 21 inch CRT, which is what everyone had back in 1976 :confused:

20 inch black and white for me, like a lot of people at the time, we couldn't afford colour.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Watched the Movie from series the other night ,,not very good but still a laugh, btw anybody know what happened to Trisdon, (Nicholas bond owen)

I tried to post this earlier but DS was down.

http://www.peterborough.net/lifestyle/articles/nicholasbondowen100.asp
  • tomfoolery1tomfoolery1 Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

Don't think he did an awful lot but he did appear on The Unforgettable Yootha Joyce programme.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not long watched the whole boxset of George & Mildred (Bless This House too) Enjoyed every minute. Yootha and Brian played the parts brilliantly.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    A bit of trvia that might interest fans of the series - G&M was an absolutely huge hit in Spain. It was dubbed into Spanish, called 'Los Roper' and even now you'll find boxed sets in the DVD sections of department stores etc. Much more popular there than any other British sitcom of that era. I think Yootha's dress sense appealed!!
    Danny Baker tells the story that he will always remember where he was when Yootha Joyce died. He was on holiday in Spain with his parents and they were at a table in the restaurant of the hotel and a waiter came to the table (knowing they were British) shouting "Mildred dead! Mildred dead!" Took them ages to work out who he was talking about - they thought one of the guests had died or something!
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    I watched this show many a time being recorded at Teddington Studios.

Yootha used to hold court in the bar afterwards.
    Sad story, given what happened to her.
    Forum Member
    Karly wrote: »
    Danny Baker tells the story that he will always remember where he was when Yooth Joyce died. He was on holiday in Spain with his parents and they were at a table in the restaurant of the hotel and a waiter came to the table (knowing they were British) shouting "Mildred dead! Mildred dead!" Took them ages to work out who he was talking about - they thought one of the guests had died or something!
    That's a coincidence, I went to YouTube earlier to look at G&M clips and found that most of them are dubbed into Spanish.

I remember being in our old kitchen when it came on the radio about dear Yootha dying, We all looked at each other in disbelief and I said to my Mum 'I bet she was a drinker'. I didn't mean it as a slur, it just came into my head from nowhere, and I couldn't believe it when the press said that it had been the cause of her death.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Karly wrote: »
    Sad story, given what happened to her.

She enjoyed life, whose to say if she had lived longer it would have been better? Sometimes it's better to go out on a high, which she did.

I have fond memories of her at the bar lording it up. :)
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't Geoffrey Fourmiles' wife sexy ?
    I think her name was Anne (played by Sheila Fearn)
    Phwooooaarrrr !:D

I concur! :D

I wasn't born when G & M was aired and I could not remember/appreciate any repeats of it in the past. :(

I keep forgetting that G & M is on ITV 3 :mad: only catching a couple of them half way through when flicking through channels. Caught parts of the first one when the buy the house and the one where they were turned down by the adoption agency. I may have to get the DVD too. :)

Some of Mildred's comments implying George 'not being up to the job' are hilarious. :D Also enjoy the interplay between the 'middle class vs. working class.

BTW, the house that G & M moves too looks absolutely gorgeous from the outside. :cool: Even the kitchen set doesn't appear to look very dated. :)
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, good call, Sheila Fearn was a dashed attractive filly, I had the hots for her as a 18 year old, pity her acting career never really took off, content to raise her family.

Still some great laugh out loud moments 35 years on.

A misunderstanding with the undertaker, he thinks Mildred is arranging a funeral for her spouse, George wanders in and the Undertaker exclaims : " he's alive ",

Mildred says: " that's a matter of opinion ".

Great writing combined with fine comic acting..........stands the test of time.
    Forum Member
    Mrs. Fourmile - 'How's your leg?'

George (nursing broken leg) - 'Broken. Apart from that, it's never been better'.

:D
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show, absolute classic!! :D
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »

I wasn't born when G & M was aired and I could not remember/appreciate any repeats of it in the past. :(

I keep forgetting that G & M is on ITV 3 :mad: only catching a couple of them half way through when flicking through channels. Caught parts of the first one when the buy the house and the one where they were turned down by the adoption agency. I may have to get the DVD too. :)

Some of Mildred's comments implying George 'not being up to the job' are hilarious. :D Also enjoy the interplay between the 'middle class vs. working class.

BTW, the house that G & M moves too looks absolutely gorgeous from the outside. :cool: Even the kitchen set doesn't appear to look very dated. :)

I love their house, especially how the inside is shaped, i love going to my Grandads house (a terraced) as his looks exactly like theirs on the outside! He and quite a few of his neighbours call them G & M houses :D
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,795
    Forum Member
    I love George and Mildred! Saw a few in the 80's and when the brilliant UK Gold channel started in the 90's, I always made sure I was home to watch the repeats shown in full of both George and Mildred and Man About The House.

Its the comedy equivellent of easy listning whilst being very good at the same time.

Great characters, very funny, Reginald Marsh as Humprey was my favourite, underused though and Sheila Fern was very very yummy/hot in general! :)
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »

Why not buy the DVD's? I think you'd get a very good deal online. Don't know about now but last year HMV where selling all 5 series for £14.99 but they confused me as they called it all 6 series or series 6 and there wasn't a series 6.
    Forum Member
    Sank without trace?

On the contrary , Robins Nest ran longer and had more episodes than either G&M or MATH

Robins Nest had 6 series and 48 episodes from 77-81.
    G&M had 5 series of 38 from 76-79
    MATH had 6 series of 39 from 73-76

George and Mildred would have continued if it wasn't for the death of Yooth Yoyce in 1980 I think it was. They where just a few days away from starting the filming of series 6 when she suddenly passed away.

I never did get into Robin's Nest but for me, G+M is one of the best of all time.