"Compete For The Meat" on Dave - anybody tuning in??

joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a315811/al-murray-brings-compete-for-the-meat-to-dave.html

It's seems like the silly season for game shows, so why not?

Surely can't be worse than "Don't Scare the Hare" or "Sing If You Can"?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zany.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'll tune into the first because I like Al Murray but will have to see from then on. I'm not a fan of game shows, although I did go through a period of watching Takeshi's Castle :p
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Sounds good. Murray will make it good.
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'll tune into the first because I like Al Murray but will have to see from then on. I'm not a fan of game shows, although I did go through a period of watching Takeshi's Castle :p

Same here, I like the Pub Landlord and that's the main reason this has got my attention :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    This was a small segment he used to do when he filled in on the radio for a dj who was absent (name escapes me) .. was on a Sunday lunchtime I think ( i used to catch up on podcast) and so meat theme made sense and was supplied by a local butcher who got a plug.
    Have no idea how this might work as a tv show but would make good kebab time tv on Dave so bring it on - gotta love the pub landlord :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him too, but I'm fascinated about why he's relagated to working for Dave. His ITV chat show was brilliant, certainly a lot better than Piers Morgan, Paul O'Grady etc. Was I the only one viewing?

I'd have thought he was prime-time, big-channel material, far too big to be on Dave, unless it's an old repeat.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,474
    Forum Member
    MostynDS wrote: »
    I like him too, but I'm fascinated about why he's relagated to working for Dave. His ITV chat show was brilliant, certainly a lot better than Piers Morgan, Paul O'Grady etc. Was I the only one viewing?

I was too, but there clearly weren't enough of us. The chat show survived for a little while, but it wasn't pulling the sort of figures it needed to justify its existence. ITV seemed to give up on Al Murray when his sketch show (which to be fair, was awful) completely bombed.
    Forum Member
    MostynDS wrote: »

I'd have thought he was prime-time, big-channel material, far too big to be on Dave, unless it's an old repeat.
    I liked his chat show. I liked the fact that he took the p out of many of his guests (the ones who deserved it because they both knew they were just on the jucket circuit) but also showed awe and respect for others when it called for it.

Dave have made a few of their own programs over the past few years. Obviously they're on a small budget and have to pick and choose carefully as to what they plow their money into.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Al Murray: Another privately educated snob making a living by ridiculing the working classes.
    Forum Member
    And he's very good at it when in "The Pub Landlord" character. He's doing a gardening show next.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His recent 2-part travelogue in Germany on BBC4 was excellent, apart from the amazginly unfunny staged comedy bits (happily not many).
    Forum Member
    Al Murray: Another privately educated snob making a living by ridiculing the working classes.

So because he's posh he should only play posh characters? Is that what you're saying?
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    I thought this was an alternative title for "Take Me Out"

:D
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    And he's very good at it when in "The Pub Landlord" character. He's doing a gardening show next.

Gardening, really??? :confused:
    CherylFan wrote: »
    His recent 2-part travelogue in Germany on BBC4 was excellent, apart from the amazginly unfunny staged comedy bits (happily not many).

Yeah, I liked this too :)
    phil solo wrote: »
    I thought this was an alternative title for "Take Me Out"

:D

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So because he's posh he should only play posh characters? Is that what you're saying?

No, but there seems to be a lot of posh folk ridiculing the working classes in 'comedy' these days.
    Murray was born in Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, the son of Lieutenant Colonel Ingram Bernard Hay Murray and Juliet Anne Thackeray Ritchie, through whom he is a great-great-great-grandson of William Makepeace Thackeray. His grandfather was diplomat Sir Ralph Murray. Murray attended Bedford School and is a graduate of St Edmund Hall, Oxford, where he studied modern history.

What does he know about 'working class prejudices and attitudes'?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but there seems to be a lot of posh folk ridiculing the working classes in 'comedy' these days.

What about working class comedians who ridicule the posh folk??
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »

A few years ago he presented this documentary series about WWII on Discovery which was rather good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray%27s_Road_To_Berlin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    What about working class comedians who ridicule the posh folk??

The sort of thing that gets to me is that these kinds of 'comedy characters' lead people to the conclusion that all working class folk are like the scummers you see on Jeremy Kyle.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I refuse to watch anything with that unfunny excuse for a "comedian" in it.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I'm going to give it a go as I like Al Murray, but I don't expect much from it, I expect it will look quite cheap and actually be cheap, something like the episode from Time Gentlemen Please that fetured the game show Fact Hunt.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The idea sounds like a Meat Raffle (in that the prize is meat I guess) but on TV :o:)
    Forum Member

What does he know about 'working class prejudices and attitudes'?

He ridicules one character and does it pretty well. It's not like he's going through a raft of different working class characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I refuse to watch anything with that unfunny excuse for a "comedian" in it.

AMEN!!!

Find him grossly overrated, disgusting and just plain awful. How he even got that OTT pathetic excuse of a chatshow off the ground I will never know!
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    What are people thinking then?I'm watching merely out of curiosity.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive never liked this character to be honest.