Mr Selfridge

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Couldn't find a thread for this.

Is anyone giving it a second whirl? Wasn't so sure myself but no doubt I will be expected to watch it (that or go and watch something on the smaller telly ............ ;-)

Comments

• RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching, or to be more accurate, recording it as I'll be watching The Musketeers on BBC1 which is on the same time! I enjoyed the first series of Mr Selfridge, which I was surprised at TBH as I don't normally go for period drama, but the fact it is based 'albeit very loosely' on real events made it interesting to me. Also I enjoyed the performances, especially Katherine Kelly who I didn't know as I've never watched Corrie, and Jeremy Piven is wonderfully cheesy!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I'll probably catch it on the ITV Player and watch The Musketeers 'live'. After it taking a while to get going in series 1, I quite enjoyed this show in the end.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the last series, I hope this one is as good :)
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Couldn't find a thread for this.

Is anyone giving it a second whirl? Wasn't so sure myself but no doubt I will be expected to watch it (that or go and watch something on the smaller telly ............ ;-)
    Watching it right now - enjoying it more than the first series already! I liked the first series by the way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite interesting that they have jumped ahead two years. Wasn't expecting that but it's nice that the characters have been developed a bit since the last series.
  • CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The sets are magnificent and majestic - in every way possible!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    80's Gal wrote: »
    It's quite interesting that they have jumped ahead two years. Wasn't expecting that but it's nice that the characters have been developed a bit since the last series.

It's five years actually. A good move I think, it helped reinvigorate it. I enjoyed the first series but already felt tonight's episode was superior - more conflict, more intrigue, more drama. And it looks gorgeous on screen as always.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money has been spent on this, it is luxe. I love it. It looks like it is going to be better than the first series. I dislike that red haired/bearded man who broke Miss Mardle's heart. It looks like his life is not as great as he thought it would be!
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it all especially the addition of Delphine Day!! She was great in Prisoners Wives too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I watched and enjoyed.

I watched the first series although I have to admit I started with more passion than I ended as I felt that it trailed off a little after an initial big build up and the 'excitement' of the store opening and establishing the characters.

Read a little online synopsis of series 1 to remind myself what had happened and who was who before tonight's show and was surprised at how much they had crammed in!

I was a bit skeptical about the big time leap (a bit too Downtown) but actually I think it worked quite well and gave the characters a bit more depth to be able to play an edge of mystery about the intervening years and for the viewer to have to work some things out for themselves.

A good start I thought and I'm looking forward to next week's episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it too, the whole production looks like it has been put together with great care - if that makes sense :)

I think the time jump has worked well but i didn't realise it was as much as five years.

What has happened to Henri? He looks like he has fallen on hard times?
  • CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I am going to miss the ravishing (she would be offended) Miss Ravilious, but it was phenomenal! I wonder if they'll ever release the soundtrack...
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this for the first time last night. Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, I found it disappointing. It's probably because I didn't see the first series so don't know the characters yet.

It may seem trivial, but something that really bothered me was the unauthentic hair and make-up of some of the female characters (Delphine, in particular). I'm fairly sure it wasn't common for women to wear that much eye shadow, mascara and liptick in those days. I believe that pearly pink lipstick wasn't even available until the 1960s.

I'll watch again next week, hoping to be more engaged with the characters and script.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just thank Mr. Slefridge for introducing to the eye pleasing delight that is the new waiter Franco in The palm court.

My goodness.

Now that I have made that shallow point. I am quite enjoying this program . I am a bit concerned as to what is going to happen with Selfridge's wife as she has always bored me but thank goodness for Delphine.

Lovely Agnes is back and looking swish...poor Henri looks like he has hit hard times indeed, and Mr. Thackery looks fun (not).

I am very intrigued with Mr. Loxley. Lady Mae seems to have a match after all and he is formidable.

All in all a good episode.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's my favourite!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good. I was confused though - the ginger guy who was having an affair with Amanda Abbington is married with four kids - did I get this wrong but didn't he get engaged to Kitty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good. I was confused though - the ginger guy who was having an affair with Amanda Abbington is married with four kids - did I get this wrong but didn't he get engaged to Kitty?

Yes and I think that is who the four kids are with. In the preview for next week it shows him with Kitty and the kids and him complaining about another on the way.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Yes and I think that is who the four kids are with. In the preview for next week it shows him with Kitty and the kids and him complaining about another on the way.

He married Doris, Kitty's friend.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady thingys husband is a right scoundrel. I hope he doesn't start hitting her. She looks like she could do him some damage. :D
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Thanks that has cleared it up! I wondered why if he was with Kitty, she was with Sam West in a nightclub!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Quite right. I always mixed the two of them up. Sorry.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed last night's episode, more than the last series. Hopefully it'll carry the same.

I'm not convinced Mr Selfridge really liked that bust of him though!
  • welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed last night's episode, more than the last series. Hopefully it'll carry the same.

I'm not convinced Mr Selfridge really liked that bust of him though!

I enjoyed it too, agree about the bust !!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the way it's progressively getting darker and not fluffy wuffy all the time.
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode was beautifully filmed. The sets looked even better than the last series and the lighting was superb.

Looked absolutely brilliant in HD.

And the story was very good with the new characters.

Overall, we thought this was better than the first series.