people mis-cast in films and tv series?

OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks, any films or tv series, soaps, you love or feel annoyed at mis casting?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, The Tudors was ruined by the awful casting of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, The Tudors was ruined by the awful casting of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry.

Totally agree and much as I hate to say this but anything with Ray Winstone (who was also portrayed as Henry) because he just plays himself.

I hate Americans who have to do an English accent or British people doing an American accent, it just doesnt wash with me.

Also people that over act, all that gurning and face pulling and *SHOCK*, ruins any film
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh - I started a thread on this last year but no one replied. Amazingly, I had also included two already mentioned in this new thread!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69374509&postcount=1

I'll start with Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Henry VIII. An utterly baffling casting choice. Apparently the powers that be wanted to portray the young and athletic Henry, but the show itself portrayed him to old age and didn't bother ageing him in any accurate way at all. Not only that, but even in his youth, the real Henry VIII was a giant of a man in terms of height and build. The rest of the cast were pretty good, which really showed up Rhys-Meyer's weak performance.

Speaking of old Henry, Ray Winstone was another awful choice. He looked the part in the ITV miniseries about the Tudor king, but his acting ability ensured that we had a Henry VIII by way of Walford. I always remember laughing when he shouted at his first wife, "Kaff-rin", whilst the rest of the cast hammed it up in upper class RP.

I'll also add Joanne Whalley as Scarlett O'Hara in the miniseries 'Scarlett'. The character was always described vividly as a pale, dark haired woman whose trademark was her bright green eyes. Ms. Whalley, though she did her best with paltry material, simply looked and acted nothing like the bitchy, scheming character that Margaret Mitchell created and Vivien Leigh played to perfection. The whole series was a spectacular misfire (although the book on which it was based was a poor attempt to cash in on Gone With the Wind too).

More recently, I think the actress cast as Liz Birdsworth has been a disappointment in 'Wentworth'. Here the problem isn't that the actress is bad, but that the producers of this remake have changed the iconic character (which is their right, I guess) of Lizzie Birdsworth so much that she has nothing in common with the memorable old one. They should have named the character something else, I reckon. Such is the problem with remakes - characters and new actors can be overshadowed by famous originals.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I think the casting on Eastenders is awful.

Sure, the script is so bad that most actors would struggle to be convincing, but the casting is pretty dreadful.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George Clooney as Bruce Wayne

Denzel Washington in the up and coming Equalizer movie. Great actor but he's no Robert McCall

Tom Cruise in Everything he's done!
  • OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Heh - I started a thread on this last year but no one replied. Amazingly, I had also included two already mentioned in this new thread!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69374509&postcount=1

I'll start with Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Henry VIII. An utterly baffling casting choice. Apparently the powers that be wanted to portray the young and athletic Henry, but the show itself portrayed him to old age and didn't bother ageing him in any accurate way at all. Not only that, but even in his youth, the real Henry VIII was a giant of a man in terms of height and build. The rest of the cast were pretty good, which really showed up Rhys-Meyer's weak performance.

Speaking of old Henry, Ray Winstone was another awful choice. He looked the part in the ITV miniseries about the Tudor king, but his acting ability ensured that we had a Henry VIII by way of Walford. I always remember laughing when he shouted at his first wife, "Kaff-rin", whilst the rest of the cast hammed it up in upper class RP.

I'll also add Joanne Whalley as Scarlett O'Hara in the miniseries 'Scarlett'. The character was always described vividly as a pale, dark haired woman whose trademark was her bright green eyes. Ms. Whalley, though she did her best with paltry material, simply looked and acted nothing like the bitchy, scheming character that Margaret Mitchell created and Vivien Leigh played to perfection. The whole series was a spectacular misfire (although the book on which it was based was a poor attempt to cash in on Gone With the Wind too).

More recently, I think the actress cast as Liz Birdsworth has been a disappointment in 'Wentworth'. Here the problem isn't that the actress is bad, but that the producers of this remake have changed the iconic character (which is their right, I guess) of Lizzie Birdsworth so much that she has nothing in common with the memorable old one. They should have named the character something else, I reckon. Such is the problem with remakes - characters and new actors can be overshadowed by famous originals.
    Thank you for your reply...hope this thread evokes your thread and does it justice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now, at first I completely agreed with you but as the series went on she got better imo!

Really looking forward to the new series!
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Pegg as Scotty in the Star Trek films. He stuck out like a sore thumb particularly against the excellent Karl Urban (Bones) and Zachary Quinto (Spock)
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Wahlberg in every film starring Mark Wahlberg

His acting makes my skin crawl
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason Statham not so much mis cast but the awful American accent >:(
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross in Along Came a Spider.

Now I like Morgan Freeman as much as the next bloke but he is NOT Alex Cross.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new fantastic four film they are making has probably the worst casting choice in history

Michael B Jordan - Johnny Storm
    Kate Mara - Susan Storm
    Miles Teller - Reed Richards
    Jamie Bell - Ben Grimm

Honestly only Kate is anywhere close to what I call a good choice.
    Everyone else is just awful awful awful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    The new fantastic four film they are making has probably the worst casting choice in history

Kate Mara - Susan Storm
    Jamie Bell - Ben Grimm

Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm :o You gotta be friggin kidding me!!!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'll try to suggest one that isn't normally mentioned in these discussions - Billy Connolly in The X-Files: I Want To Believe.

Also I wasn't keen on either Freddie Prinze Jr or his missus in Scooby Doo.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »

Kate Mara - Susan Storm
    Jamie Bell - Ben Grimm

He was good in Space Jam :confused:
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member
    David Jason as Rincewind in The Colour of Magic. Not tall enough, not thin enough.

Rincewind was always Nigal Planer

Likewise Sean Astin as Twoflower, who was clearly Japanese..
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone watched Death Comes to Pemberly over Christmas, I found it quite poorly cast. The actors just didn't seem to fit, although their Lydia was a perfect choice.
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Kung fu should have been Bruc lee.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree that Vivien Leigh played Scarlett to perfection, but given that the opening line of the book is "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful..." I think there's an argument to be made for Vivien Leigh being miscast.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    If anyone watched Death Comes to Pemberly over Christmas, I found it quite poorly cast. The actors just didn't seem to fit, although their Lydia was a perfect choice.

I agree on all points, although it was always going to be tricky to get Darcy and Lizzy right (Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth will always have it for me)

Lydia was a total delight though, she made a somewhat disappointing production incredibly watchable.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest mis-cast I can think of is Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. In the books, Reacher is a huge bloke easily capable of taking down four or five attackers at a time in a fist fight, and does. When they showed Cruise doing that in the recent film, it was totally not believable. Plus, Jack isn't a pretty boy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I agree that Vivien Leigh played Scarlett to perfection, but given that the opening line of the book is "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful..." I think there's an argument to be made for Vivien Leigh being miscast.

That's true, but Mitchell seemed to contradict that a few times in the book IIRC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also add Tilda Swinton in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. The movie seemed to make the White Witch a kind of warrior - in the novel, she was tall, beautiful and imperious. She was meant to be bombastic and larger than life - an OTT, jumped up, tyrant. Swinton gave a very subdued, low key and sinister performance. Some people liked that, but I preferred Barbara Kellerman's theatrical performance, as it was truer to the books.

Oh, and Al Giordino in 'Sahara'. In all the Dirk Pitt novels, Giordino is a swarthy little Italian who is built like a bull. For some reason, Steve Zahn was chosen to play him in the movie. He did give a fun performance in a rather awful movie, though.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I know it's not out yet, but I don't hold out much hope for that Superman/Batman film. Mainly casting a size zero/model (Gal Gadot)as the amazonian, strong, big chested Wonder Woman. Surely there were other actresses who could play the role? And Jesse Eissenberg as Lex Luthor, is there anything intimidating about him, he's such a nerd. And Ben Affleck as Batman.

But we'll see...
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Wahlberg in every film starring Mark Wahlberg

His acting makes my skin crawl

Agree! He is laughably bad in all his films