Human Chimeras - This blows my mind!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
Forum Member
Does anyone know anything about this?

It fascinates me - the notion that people can have different genetic profiles for say, blood vs hair, throws a big question mark DNA tests etc in my mind.

This case of a woman nearly having her children taken away from her because initial DNA tests showed she wasn't their mother (when she was) gives you the idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild

She's not the only example, either.

It appears to be a relatively new area of scientific research with little headway, which makes me wonder how many humans are chimeras? And how could that have been impacting everything we do that relies heavily on DNA tests?

Comments

• MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First I ever heard of such a thing. Thanks. :)
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing this on CSI, when they DNA tested the guy that did it and it said he didn't. Or something like that. They figured it out in the end.

Yeah, pretty interesting. Chimeras, not CSI. Well, I like CSI, but yeah.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I could be my own twin and never know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    You know what, when I've Googled this, *so* many of the results reference that episode :D

I've never seen it myself, but if I had I'd probably have thought it far-fetched.

But on closer reading it looks likely that to very, very low levels many of us are chimeras - it seems that some of a mother's cells transfer to offspring and survive, and some transfer from child to mother and survive.

The interesting and worrying part is where blastocysts merge (basically a non-identical twin absorbing the other twin, but not at foetal stage) and different parts of the body end up having different genetic profiles :o !
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    So I could be my own twin and never know.

Exactly! Mind-bending isn't it!

You only might find out if you had DNA testing done on different body parts, or tested against children/parents as with Lydia Fairchild.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fascinating subject isn't it.

The fact that one fertilized egg can absorb another in the womb. Your own twin hiding within your very cells, it could even be a different sex. It is mind blowing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »

The fact that one fertilized egg can absorb another in the womb. Your own twin hiding within your very cells, it could even be a different sex. It is mind blowing.

Alien Hand Syndrome - being throttled by your own twin in an act of revenge for something that happened in the womb. ::o
    Forum Member

Indeed. Going by the results of this study it could be far more prevalent than we might assume:
    wrote:
    Chan and Nelson’s team ran DNA tests on the brains of 59 women who died between the ages of 32 and 101. To make things simple, they searched for a gene found only on the male Y chromosome. (Women shouldn’t have any Y-chromosome DNA, so finding it would provide strong evidence of the presence of microchimeric cells.) Overall, the scientists found DNA evidence for male cells in 63 percent of the subjects, distributed in multiple brain regions. One woman who tested positive had died at 94, well past child-bearing age, meaning the male cells had stuck around for at least half a century.
    Forum Member
    Alien Hand Syndrome - being throttled by your own twin in an act of revenge for something that happened in the womb. ::o

:o Blimey - dark much! :D But yeah!

It does open up so many questions about how it might affect your personality at any point in life, and I read some speculation that it could account for the genetic aspects of homosexuality being passed down (the big question often being how can such genes be passed down and remain present in populations if procreation is rarer for that group).

I want an expert to come and tell me EVERYTHING! :D
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am in a constant battle with my chimeric twin. She is evil and sometimes makes me type things on here that i don't want to. So far i am largely winning the battle but if i type something that offends someone, it wasn't me, it was her.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in a constant battle with my chimeric twin. She is evil and sometimes makes me type things on here that i don't want to. So far i am largely winning the battle but if i type something that offends someone, it wasn't me, it was her. Ya bastards \/

*nods*
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I understand this correctly...

It is possible for human A to have more than 1 'set' of DNA, and that extra DNA can be localised to certain parts of the body and even be DNA for the opposite gender to them?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my days, this is scary stuff!!! Interesting to know about, though.
    Forum Member
    I am in a constant battle with my chimeric twin. She is evil and sometimes makes me type things on here that i don't want to. So far i am largely winning the battle but if i type something that offends someone, it wasn't me, it was her.

:D
    Ber wrote: »
    So if I understand this correctly...

It is possible for human A to have more than 1 'set' of DNA, and that extra DNA can be localised to certain parts of the body and even be DNA for the opposite gender to them?

Yep. Exactly.

In the case of Lydia Fairchild her cervical cells matched her children, but her skin and hair didn't.

Blaschko's lines are where the skin has striations (often only visible under UV light) caused by banding of the two different DNA types coding for different shades of skin, for example. So even a body part itself may contain the two DNA types.
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the title said "Human Chimineas".................................I was expecting a thread about people self igniting and going up in flames. :-D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was able to diagnose someone with this on an episode of House 30 minutes before House managed to. :blush:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My Intellectual Property Law lecturer is obsessed with this kind of thing. She's also interested in human-animal hybrids. Strange woman :confused: I don't know what kind of university I go to :p
    Forum Member
    rds60h wrote: »
    I thought the title said "Human Chimineas".................................I was expecting a thread about people self igniting and going up in flames. :-D

:D I so get that!
    I was able to diagnose someone with this on an episode of House 30 minutes before House managed to. :blush:

How??! If you have any examples/info, please add, I'm a bit obsessed with this at the mo :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    rds60h wrote: »

LOL I thought that and was about to leave a similar comment :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Intellectual Property Law lecturer is obsessed with this kind of thing. She's also interested in human-animal hybrids. Strange woman :confused: I don't know what kind of university I go to :p

I would love to try and cross breed a human and a bumble bee :p
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    I remember seeing this on CSI, when they DNA tested the guy that did it and it said he didn't. Or something like that. They figured it out in the end.

Yeah, pretty interesting. Chimeras, not CSI. Well, I like CSI, but yeah.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well :D
    Forum Member

Wiki it - they've been up to all sorts!

A bzzzyhuman could well be my fave kind of human though - so yeah, with you on that.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wiki it - they've been up to all sorts!

A bzzzyhuman could well be my fave kind of human though - so yeah, with you on that.

GuineaBees exist so why not?
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Human bee-ings
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    GuineaBees exist so why not?

The Fly formed my views on this subject... nuff said!