Should The Green Party Be In The TV Debates??

Comments

• Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think this whole debate about debates is ridiculous. Surely the voting public have a right to hear all arguments from all participants...since when does the media have the final say on who can or cannot participate? Sad days indeed
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a question. Previously when the sitting PM dissolved Parliament and called a General Election that was the starting gun for the various campaigns to begin.

What happens now that we have a fixed term Parliament? When do the Party Political Broadcasts start? etc.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    Personally I think this whole debate about debates is ridiculous. Surely the voting public have a right to hear all arguments from all participants...since when does the media have the final say on who can or cannot participate? Sad days indeed

Go to a meeting and hear them speak, like we used to do.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the Green party are a bunch of Marxist nutters, but I still think they should be allowed to take part in the TV debate that UKIP will appear on.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eagle9a wrote: »

The debates are a terrible idea, the media are frothing about because it gives them something to show and sell advertising for.

But for democracy it is a poor day as it is just a popularity contest of little substance as shown by last time they did it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it comes down to the party leaders that have appeared on Question Time, then...

Labour
    Conservative
    Liberal Democrats
    UKIP
    The Green Party
    SNP

This is as far as I know.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,579
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Go to a meeting and hear them speak, like we used to do.

Not sure if ever there was a public meeting in the olden days where the party leaders debated which this is all about
    Harking back to bygone days is not the answer
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I personally think the Green party are a bunch of Marxist nutters, but I still think they should be allowed to take part in the TV debate that UKIP will appear on.

I agree, but Milliband and Clegg are petrified of them. The story will skew completely if the TV companies agree - Libs and Lab will start finding reasons not to take part.

Cameron is doing well here. A little embarrassment now and a lot of pain free time later
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The debates are a terrible idea, the media are frothing about because it gives them something to show and sell advertising for.

But for democracy it is a poor day as it is just a popularity contest of little substance as shown by last time they did it.

I certainly would not disagree with this...but I think it can generally be applied to all politics these days. When was the last time a politician was actually forced to answer a question of substance? Never whilst a TV camera is rolling thats for sure
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Not sure if ever there was a public meeting in the olden days where the party leaders debated which this is all about
    Harking back to bygone days is not the answer

You do not go to a political rally and listen to your potential MP? A chance to question them in person?

You vote for an ideal and not the person representing you?
    Forum Member
    You do not go to a political rally and listen to your potential MP? A chance to question them in person?

You vote for an ideal and not the person representing you?

No I never have been to any political meeting during a GE campaign. Nothing to learn there and sitting about in a draughty hall listening to someone quote the party manifesto is not going to sway me one way or another I would imagine that 99% of the voters do not go to public meetings either. So many different ways to find out about politics these days.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real conservatives slogan is 'we don't care about democracy'.

Fools.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ed and Nick don't want the Greens as they know they would lose voters to them.

I'm not sure what Nicks said about it but didn't Ed say at PMQ's

"I will debate with anyone whom the broadcasters invite to debate." ?
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    No I never have been to any political meeting during a GE campaign. Nothing to learn there and sitting about in a draughty hall listening to someone quote the party manifesto is not going to sway me one way or another I would imagine that 99% of the voters do not go to public meetings either. So many different ways to find out about politics these days.

So you do not vote for a candidate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron just planted another seed.

It seems to work, exactly like it did against the Lib Dems immediately on power sharing.
    Its what they do. People really do like to be told what to think.
    Forum Member
    So you do not vote for a candidate?

I vote for a party who reflects most closely my ideals. Nothing wrong with that IMO Now if there is nothing else you want to know about my personal voting habits let us get back to the thread please.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I roll over and let them tickle my tummy. Is a bloke who seriously expects folks to vote him as next PM saying that he will do exactly what the broadcasters tell him to do. Can you imagine him in negotiations with EU and organisations outside of UK? I will do whatever they tell me to do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a debate organised by Ofcom. It is democracy and they have to set rules.

Can't Cameron match it by also choosing not to be on the election paper ?
    Surely there has to be something about the ballot he does not like too?
    That would be nice, what with us being on yet another 'Slippery Cameron' slope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It is a debate organised by Ofcom. It is democracy and they have to set rules.

Can't Cameron match it by also choosing not to be on the election paper ?
    Surely there has to be something about the ballot he does not like too, us being on that 'Slippery Cameron' slope.

No that is absolutely false at every level.

OFCOM have been asked to determine which political parties qualify as major parties, and as such should be afforded broadcast time for Party Political Broadcasts.

The various broadcasters ( BBC, Sky, iTV) are free to invite any and all for debates.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    I roll over and let them tickle my tummy. Is a bloke who seriously expects folks to vote him as next PM saying that he will do exactly what the broadcasters tell him to do.

You're wrong, he's actually saying he isn't afraid to debate with anyone the broadcasters choose to take part in the debates ;-)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Well he would say that wouldn't he?"
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    No that is absolutely false at every level.

OFCOM have been asked to determine which political parties qualify as major parties, and as such should be afforded broadcast time for Party Political Broadcasts.

The various broadcasters ( BBC, Sky, iTV) are free to invite any and all for debates.

asked by who?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could we have not had a don't mind option? or a "it should be up to the TV companies and not any political party to decide who can or can not be represented"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    asked by who?

Government, this and previous.

OFCOM have no say in who is invited to appear, or who appears at various Leaders debates. That is entirely up to the individual broadcasters.

OFCOM only get to say who are regarded as important with regard to the plethora of Party Political Broadcasts ( those 5 min segments we are going to be subjected to after the news).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he will make yet another election promise ?
    Vote for him and we then get next election as to who goes on the debate.

That makes for both 'EU in or out' and 'Name that panel'.

Oh, what a great leader he is!
    :rolleyes: