The SNP would never be satisfied.

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rise of the SNP does't mean Scotland suddenly want independence. It just wants a party which will purely fight Scotland's corner to get everything it can for it out of the Union. I can see why the SNP is seen as the best party to do this.

It's a sort of best of both worlds +.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    You're kidding right? It was all I ever heard both from the SNP and people here. In fact, it was probably most of what the case for independence was put forwards was all about was 'THE OIL'.

Strangely, it's all gone a bit quiet on this front since. I can't think why.

Nonsense. When we were campaigning we made a point of not even touching on the oil wealth because of the fact there had been so much rubbishing and talking down of oil by Unionist politicians and campaigners. The automatic response if you mentioned oil to people was "aye but it's running oot".
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're kidding right? It was all I ever heard both from the SNP and people here. In fact, it was probably most of what the case for independence was put forwards was all about was 'THE OIL'.

Strangely, it's all gone a bit quiet on this front since. I can't think why.
    I'm afraid you are exaggerating just a wee bit .. the people trying to hide the truth about Scotland's economic strength were grossly over playing the importance of oil revenues, pushing a lie about how reliant Scotland would be -- wonder why they'd do that?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    :D Well at least we now know your agenda.

Yes. It's equality.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Yes. It's equality.

Are you saying you don't condemn the words of the UKIP politician on Question Time last night?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Are you saying you don't condemn the words of the UKIP politician on Question Time last night?

No I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Nonsense. When we were campaigning we made a point of not even touching on the oil wealth because of the fact there had been so much rubbishing and talking down of oil by Unionist politicians and campaigners. The automatic response if you mentioned oil to people was "aye but it's running oot".

I've seen two posts today alone posting about the oil and without a Unionist politician anywhere in sight. During the independence campaign it was rife here. Many of these posters crawled back into the woodwork, never to be seen again after Scotland voted no.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    No I don't.

Well that tells us everything we need to know.
    Forum Member
    I've seen two posts today alone posting about the oil and without a Unionist politician anywhere in sight. During the independence campaign it was rife here. Many of these posters crawled back into the woodwork, never to be seen again after Scotland voted no.

Two posts of out of many, hardly the main focus of the Yes campaign. To claim the case for indy was reliant on oil is rewriting history. Of course oil as a resource is a wonderful thing to have but it was never the most important thing. As so many people said; it's running out. The case for independence had to be and was based on much more than oil revenue.
    Forum Member
    Two posts. Today alone. It was 200 posts at its peak.
    Forum Member
    Two posts. Today alone. It was 200 posts at its peak.

About why the case for independence was based on North Sea Oil . . . . find me one that says that.
    Forum Member
    About why the case for independence was based on North Sea Oil . . . . find me one that says that.

Try Google. There's quite a few to be found there.
    Forum Member
    Try Google. There's quite a few to be found there.

No I've read plenty. Only a tit would try to make the case for independence based on oil revenue alone. That is not what happened during the campaign. And even if there was a tit making that case that is nothing to do with the arguments being made by campaigners or pro-independence politicians.
    Forum Member
    Only a tit would try to make the case for independence based on oil revenue alone. .

That's not a nice way to speak about many of the members here who saw it as the be all and end all.
    Forum Member
    That's not a nice way to speak about many of the members here who saw it as the be all and end all.

If there were any members on here who saw it as the be all and end all I'd happily explain to them why they were tits. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how could £6Bn be the 'be all an end all' when there's at least another £120Bn coming in & none of the oil revenue money was required to keep Scotland afloat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bigger concern: the torys will never be satisfied until they can sell the air we breathe to make £Bn's for them & their friends
  • CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    how could £6Bn be the 'be all an end all' when there's at least another £120Bn coming in & none of the oil revenue money was required to keep Scotland afloat?

We're running a deficit and a bigger one than the UK as a whole and that's before the recent drop in oil price, so it depends what your definition of afloat is...
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    Bigger concern: the torys will never be satisfied until they can sell the air we breathe to make £Bn's for them & their friends

Ah yes. "We". So much more potent than "Me".

How much do you think the air you breathe is worth then?
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Well yes, they want independence.

Did everyone think that once the referendum was over that the whole SNP would change their fundamental raison d'être, i.e to achieve independence for Scotland?
    They'll carry on fighting until they believe that the 10% can be swung.

They are more powerful now than they have ever been, and the possibility of being kingmakers at Westminster must be tantalizing.

Pretty much this.

The SNP always have and always will be 100% dedicated to Independence from the UK. That goal doesn't change. Yes, the referendum wasn't in their favour, but 45% of the country shared their goal. Why exactly should a political party which knows 45% of the country is behind it give up?

Keep in mind this same party has gained so many new members it is now the 3rd largest in the whole UK too, that's a lot of people to say "you know what, forget that whole independence thing after all" to.

They will always fight for Independence as there is no such thing as "settled will". If I decide to buy Corn flakes that doesn't mean I'll eat them every morning. It's not my settled will that from now until eternity I'll only eat that cereal. I will change my mind. Certain circumstances will alter what is my preferred option. Just like politics, things change. There is no way that this is the end of the Independent Scotland movement, it simply isn't going away. I think it's the start of something much bigger and better for the whole UK. I doubt we will see the same UK in a decade or two. If it's still around it'll be a totally different form politically. It will simply have to change and it all stems from what is happening now.

For as long as people believe that's the best way for Scotland to be, it'll be there. There will be opinion polls for years about the mood of the country and how people would vote on this certain day and that certain day, get used to it. This'll be in the news until the SNP ever dwindle and fall out of favour, but even then the topic will still be there in the background for at least a generation. Basically the only thing that will stop debate and discussion about independence is to gain it!

If there was an overwhelming majority of No votes (6% is not overwhelming no matter how often we are told it is) then we might have seen the SNP falter, but in order for that happen it'd have to have been an extremely wide margin, perhaps 20-30% favour on the No side. The fact is that there is a strong enough voice in Scotland for the SNP to still do extremely well and that voice just seems to be getting louder and louder as the Westminster parties continually dither around trying to please everyone but ending up pleasing no one, becoming ever more distant from the general public. It's not even just the SNP who are gaining from the current established shambles of a political system this country has. More and more of the smaller parties (in Westminster terms anyway) are shining through, some good, some bad, but at least 2015 will be an interesting election.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately

Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately

Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

If this is the reaction we're getting I could be convinced to hang around for a little bit longer. I'm feeling all warm, cosy and British. ;-)
    Forum Member
    If this is the reaction we're getting I could be convinced to hang around for a little bit longer. I'm feeling all warm, cosy and British. ;-)

I'm not surprised you feel British when you reckon most of your fellow Scots are cowards :)
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised you feel British when you reckon most of your fellow Scots are cowards :)

I might think many of them were cowards but I'm not going hold that against them, that wouldn't be very liberal now would it? :)
    Forum Member
    I might think many of them were cowards but I'm not going hold that against them, that wouldn't be very liberal now would it? :)

I think you're mellowing with old age ;-)