How to Get a council house Ch 4 9pm

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rovermac wrote: »
    Because they are European. Haven't you been paying attention?
    Who is European? Do you even know who I am talking about or just assuming?
  • rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something you can apply for if your benefits stop or you are in financial difficulty. It's not guaranteed you will get it though but in this case he probably would as he has a wife and 5 kids to feed.
    I can't understand why the Bermudian didn't use her £4,000 to rent a place and then claim housing benefit.

Thanks goodness for you. You seem to know your way around the system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Yep and it pees me right off. All I can say is BREXIT!!

Lucky for you all I can say is Hodor
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks goodness for you. You seem to know your way around the system.

I used to work for a charity helping people facing hardship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    You couldn't blame desperate people if they just broke in and squatted. Might wake the government up a bit.

Indeed. Someone I know here who works for a housing association told me recently that many of their properties in London are empty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is European? Do you even know who I am talking about or just assuming?

Well you mentioned Romanians and Birmingham in your post, so I took a wild guess you were referring to the Romanians who were sent to Birmingham.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,243
    Forum Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/26/eu-referendum-lord-ashcroft-poll-finds-nearly-two-thirds-of-vote/

"The figures also show that 77,000 EU migrants have come to the UK without employment."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/26/eu-referendum-lord-ashcroft-poll-finds-nearly-two-thirds-of-vote/

"The figures also show that 77,000 EU migrants have come to the UK without employment."

No wonder there's a housing crisis.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,243
    Forum Member
    And there's more...

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/final-immigration-figures-before-eu-referendum-to-be-published-11364064379131

Some 308,000 people came to Britain for work - a jump of 30,000 from the previous year and the highest estimate on record.

Of these, 178,000 (58%) had a definite job to go to and 130,000 (42%) arrived looking for work, with the latter figure a "statistically significant" rise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And there's more...

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/final-immigration-figures-before-eu-referendum-to-be-published-11364064379131

Some 308,000 people came to Britain for work - a jump of 30,000 from the previous year and the highest estimate on record.

Of these, 178,000 (58%) had a definite job to go to and 130,000 (42%) arrived looking for work, with the latter figure a "statistically significant" rise.

And it's only going to get higher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well you mentioned Romanians and Birmingham in your post, so I took a wild guess you were referring to the Romanians who were sent to Birmingham.

Well I meant any one looking for a place.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,749
    Forum Member

And there's more...

The article doesn't say whether the 77,000 EU migrants who arrived without jobs is an increase. I assume it isn't since the overall level of EU migration is fairly static.

Since January 2014, the rules on EU migrants seeking work in the UK have been tightened . They only have a right to reside in the UK as a job seeker for 6 months and can only claim income based JSA after 3 months when they should be quizzed about the real prospects of them finding work. Then JSA is only payable for 91 days.

After that they can only retain their jobseeker status if they provide "compelling evidence" that they are looking for work and have a genuine chance of finding it. The DWP criteria for compelling evidence includes a definite offer of "genuine or effective work" starting within three months or a change of circumstances e.g. completion of vocational training that is likely to lead to an imminent job offer. If they can provide that evidence they can retain JSA for a short time. If they cannot provide that evidence, they lose the right to remain in the UK as a job seeker.

Since April 2014, those who arrive as job seekers and claim JSA after 3 months are not eligible to claim Housing Benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    The article doesn't say whether the 77,000 EU migrants who arrived without jobs is an increase. I assume it isn't since the overall level of EU migration is fairly static.

Since January 2014, the rules on EU migrants seeking work in the UK have been tightened . They only have a right to reside in the UK as a job seeker for 6 months and can only claim income based JSA after 3 months when they should be quizzed about the real prospects of them finding work. Then JSA is only payable for 91 days.

After that they can only retain their jobseeker status if they provide "compelling evidence" that they are looking for work and have a genuine chance of finding it. The DWP criteria for compelling evidence includes a definite offer of "genuine or effective work" starting within three months or a change of circumstances e.g. completion of vocational training that is likely to lead to an imminent job offer. If they can provide that evidence they can retain JSA for a short time. If they cannot provide that evidence, they lose the right to remain in the UK as a job seeker.

Since April 2014, those who arrive as job seekers and claim JSA after 3 months are not eligible to claim Housing Benefit.

It's an increase of 20,000 on the previous year.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some jobs seem to have been totally taken over by Central/Eastern Europeans like parcel couriers and hotel staff.
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »

Its another area thats failing & again needs the whole policy re writing from scratch

We need skilled people to come & work
    We also need unskilled people to come here if there are vacancies for them to fill
    We don't need people coming here & claiming any benefits especially if they have not paid into the pot

Maybe the local police should be given the task of monitoring migrants instead of home office
    So many people come here & then disappear when they clearly shouldn't be here

On another note
    The Romanian family that came here & got a 4 bed hse in Bham
    What happens if the husband says he's left his wife?
    Is she then asked to leave the UK?
    Or will the authorities allow her & children to remain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrong thread.
  • Catty_CateCatty_Cate Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Some jobs seem to have been totally taken over by Central/Eastern Europeans like parcel couriers and hotel staff.

I went for an interview a few years ago for a factory job. All the signs directing to reception were polish as was the interviewer.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,749
    Forum Member
    Its another area thats failing & again needs the whole policy re writing from scratch

We need skilled people to come & work
    We also need unskilled people to come here if there are vacancies for them to fill
    We don't need people coming here & claiming any benefits especially if they have not paid into the pot

Agree in principle. I don't know if under existing EU rules we could insist that potential immigrants from EEA countries must have a firm job offer before they can enter the country as "workers" exercising their treaty rights. We already have the points based system for non-EEA immigrants.
    Maybe the local police should be given the task of monitoring migrants instead of home office

Not sure what you mean by "monitoring". If you are referring to illegal immigrants then the police do have a role (as you may have seen in a recent episode of "24 hours in Police Custody).
    On another note
    The Romanian family that came here & got a 4 bed hse in Bham
    What happens if the husband says he's left his wife?
    Is she then asked to leave the UK?
    Or will the authorities allow her & children to remain

Assuming the wife is also Romanian (or other EEA national) then she can of course exercise her own "treaty rights" to be in the UK provided she meets the qualifying conditions.
  • Jaded81Jaded81 Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, very few of the ones that don't exercise their treaty rights don't get deported and they live on the streets.

I experienced this a year ago when an empty former commercial property next door to me was occupied by squatters from Romanian and Polish descent. I know they weren't looking for jobs because they had loud parties almost 24/7 and caused me a lot of distress as I basically didn't have a decent night sleep for the 3-4 months they were there.

The whole time we were waiting for a court date for them to be evicted, and because they weren't paying tenants, the police and council couldn't/wouldn't do anything other than knock on the door and politely tell them to keep it down (which they never did), because they knew if any heated arguments arose, they'd just be filmed and put on YouTube with claims of police aggression. They eventually got the court order to have them removed, but they weren't arrested - just "moved along" for them to find another property in their squatters network for a few months.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its another area thats failing &

My brother married a French Girl back in the 60s, she had to regularly report to the police with her passport as did most foreigners.
  • GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    Catty_Cate wrote: »
    I went for an interview a few years ago for a factory job. All the signs directing to reception were polish as was the interviewer.
    In which case the signs would also be in English and the interviewer fluent with English as are a very high percentage of Polish people.
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just asked for this instance and were shown it happened. But you won't acknowledge that. Now you want several instances? It happens everyday. We just didn't see it in this programme. Otherwise the show would be 6 hours long.
    :confused:
    I won't acknowledge it because it wasn't shown. I don't know how you can claim it was shown when in the very same paragraph you admit that it wasn't. There's a small thing called the burden of proof and it would add an extra 10 seconds to the programme, not another 5 hours.
    Well, as much as you will never accept it - he may have never set foot in the country previously. There are plenty of scams set up to help people get into the country... and many of them involve dodgy employers who will attest to someone having been a valid employee.
    I would accept it in an instant if you provided a shred of tangible evidence for the claim. In fact, you've even stretched the original claim. If he had never set foot in the country and instead arrived with this fiendish fake employment history scam, don't you think he'd have brought up the counterfeit JSA record some time before the nights spent homeless, the multiple pleading visits to the council and the rejected housing request? Talk about bias. I actually wish he'd been denied the housing and told to pack his bags and piss of back to Romania until he can pre-arrange guaranteed and lasting employment here, but I'm not about to concoct some BS Daily Mail hack backstory in order to justify my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost 2 million households waiting for a council house.

I wonder how many of those 2 million voted for a party that would build council houses?
  • kandi_kanekandi_kane Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    So the Asian couple living in a room with their 2 children ( at £700pcm!) and want council help for a new home have just forked out 12k on a wedding for their daughter? The mind boggles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are just after a council place. Their landlord should not be allowed to connect the gas from one place to another house he is building next door.

No sympathy for the couple who have spent £12000 on a wedding when they could have paid for a deposit on a house.