Options

Wow £549 for 16GB Iphone 5S bugget Iphone 5C £469

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Whilstits off original topic both my kids (15 and 14 year olds) have Nexus 4s. Both phones are a year old and were pristine until about a month ago. One still is, the other has a broken back panel due to an accidental drop onto concrete. Both phones are still fully functional though ......

I dont think the build quality of the Nexus 4 is any better or worse than most other handsets. Google just seemes to take a stance that they were more interested in revenue from users rather than revenue from handsets. Android handset manufacturers have to make money out of the handsets as they dont currently have that 'user income'. Apple have taken another route (and have historically liked to take a much larger cut for a profit margin). They want to make profit out of their users AND from the hardware. Take a high end Android vs an iPhone and you will find the production costs of the Android were higher than the production costs of the Apple unit as the profit margin is less. What pecentage of each was spent on 'build quality' vs 'component specs' is harder to define. Either way those Apple users who constantly state that they are paying for quality must, deep down, realise that they probably arent - and that all they are doing is lining Apples pockets with a bank balance bigger than many countries.

Every user should choose what phone is best for them. go to a shop, have a play, and then make an educated decision. If its Android, fine. If its Windows, fine. Even if its temotation towards the Dark Lords of Apple then 'sort of fine'. Its the 'blind faith' i cant figure out........ the queuing around the block to buy a product that you have never actualy seen or touched, simply because of the logo. I find all that very strange and more than a little sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    The reason they give is that Apple doesn't cover as wide a range of price points as their competition.

But Apple have never done that, so it seems strange that investors should be so surprised now.

Its not as though they've been clamouring for Apple to bring out a £300 laptop.

no but the press had been hyping up the fact that a budget handset was on the way to allegedly help Apple compete with the lower end handset market. That thought, in addition to the significant Apple stock buy-backs, had pushed up the Apple stock price in recent weeks.

Once the new product was revealed at a much higher price than predicted it seems that the market is confused (as are many pundits) where exactly the 5c will fit in.

None of the above is Apples fault at all as it has mostly been speculation - but thats often how the markets work.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plus various rumours about having an Apple watch or Apple tv set coming out as a 'surprise' won't have helped.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, what would you say were some of the most extreme things said on either side of the discussion?

I think something like "its piece of shit" might be one extreme, but I'd struggle to think of an equivalent at the other end of the scale.

And if I answered that, I'd be getting dragged into the argument. No thanks! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

well played Grumps :cool:
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You won't get an argument from me.

I think we both know that only one side of the discussion has been posting anything quite so ridiculous.

Unless anyone actually thinks something like:

From early reports it sounds as though the iPhone 5C is pretty sturdy for a plastic phone.

is as extreme as:

Its a piece of embarrassing shit.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    no but the press had been hyping up the fact that a budget handset was on the way to allegedly help Apple compete with the lower end handset market. That thought, in addition to the significant Apple stock buy-backs, had pushed up the Apple stock price in recent weeks.

Once the new product was revealed at a much higher price than predicted it seems that the market is confused (as are many pundits) where exactly the 5c will fit in.

None of the above is Apples fault at all as it has mostly been speculation - but thats often how the markets work.

Sure - but if investors are investing on the strength of rumour and hearsay (and rumour and hearsay about Apple doing something they don't usually do), that's their look out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilstits off original topic both my kids (15 and 14 year olds) have Nexus 4s. Both phones are a year old and were pristine until about a month ago. One still is, the other has a broken back panel due to an accidental drop onto concrete. Both phones are still fully functional though ......

I dont think the build quality of the Nexus 4 is any better or worse than most other handsets. Google just seemes to take a stance that they were more interested in revenue from users rather than revenue from handsets. Android handset manufacturers have to make money out of the handsets as they dont currently have that 'user income'. Apple have taken another route (and have historically liked to take a much larger cut for a profit margin). They want to make profit out of their users AND from the hardware. Take a high end Android vs an iPhone and you will find the production costs of the Android were higher than the production costs of the Apple unit as the profit margin is less. What pecentage of each was spent on 'build quality' vs 'component specs' is harder to define. Either way those Apple users who constantly state that they are paying for quality must, deep down, realise that they probably arent - and that all they are doing is lining Apples pockets with a bank balance bigger than many countries.

Every user should choose what phone is best for them. go to a shop, have a play, and then make an educated decision. If its Android, fine. If its Windows, fine. Even if its temotation towards the Dark Lords of Apple then 'sort of fine'. Its the 'blind faith' i cant figure out........ the queuing around the block to buy a product that you have never actualy seen or touched, simply because of the logo. I find all that very strange and more than a little sad.

Its not really blind faith though, is it? I have an iPhone 4 still, and will probably upgrade next year. I won't be upgrading on blind faith, I'll be upgrading with an entirely realistic expectation that the new model will be a great phone, that does everything I want and need it to do.

I'd certainly never queue up and absolutely agree it seems a little OTT, but there was an interesting article, I think in the Guardian last year, when the journalist went to queue. The jist of the article was about how surprised at how it wasn't the cliche of sad Apple fans being sad Apple fans, but a big part of it was really the social aspect of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its not really blind faith though, is it? I have an iPhone 4 still, and will probably upgrade next year. I won't be upgrading on blind faith, I'll be upgrading with an entirely realistic expectation that the new model will be a great phone, that does everything I want and need it to do.

I'd certainly never queue up and absolutely agree it seems a little OTT, but there was an interesting article, I think in the Guardian last year, when the journalist went to queue. The jist of the article was about how surprised at how it wasn't the cliche of sad Apple fans being sad Apple fans, but a big part of it was really the social aspect of it.

But you wouldnt rush to buy the new version of your smeg fridge each year, or the latest mondeo based on a Ford presentation ? Or upgrade your Dell PC as 'there is a new model out' ..... there are very few brands that have quite the same brand-loyalty as Apple. Problems with the antennae ? People still buy it..... Handsets scratched in the box ? the same. If that had been an HTC or a Sony it would have died a very quick death. Its obviously been an era of very clever marketing by Apple but there is a percentage of its clientelle that will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. I know a few personally.

With Android (maybe excluding the avid 'Galaxy' brigade) people tend to swap and change between handset makers. Find what model is best for them.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    plus various rumours about having an Apple watch or Apple tv set coming out as a 'surprise' won't have helped.

I suspect it may be a while before we see the iWatch.

With the information that has been given to date, it wouldn't surprise me if the iWatch (should it exist) only work with the additional M7 processor. Currently only found on the 5S.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pollyuk wrote: »
    mine and my partners are still going after 10 months, can ask him how other peoples in his office are going as i know most bought them. sorry but im not willing to trust someone that talks about knowing 5 people and they were all broken in 3 months.

i had a samsung and it broke.

I'd never get an iPhone as everyone I have known has died within one year of getting one due to various things and all in their prime (over 15 people and counting so far)!

I might have chanced it in my youth, but I have children now and it would be unfair to leave them without a father!
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never get an iPhone as everyone I have known has died within one year of getting one due to various things and all in their prime (over 15 people and counting so far)!

I might have chanced it in my youth, but I have children now and it would be unfair to leave them without a father!

If i was a copper i would be asking you where you were on those 15 occasions!
  • Options
    Forum Member

and moving forward you'd have to condier whether you could still function at full capacity with only 9 fingers ;)

mind you - losing one per mugging could get very tricky ! :eek:

:D
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes a friend of mine had nothing but problems with her 3GS (it was replaced 3 times) and her 8 month old iPhone 5 is going to be returned as the battery only last 6 hours and that's with all the background apps switched off.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but my dark sense of humour thought this was really funny! :D

[conspiracytheory]
    Maybe they were laced with ricin or something!
    [/]
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i was a copper i would be asking you where you were on those 15 occasions!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you wouldnt rush to buy the new version of your smeg fridge each year, or the latest mondeo based on a Ford presentation ? Or upgrade your Dell PC as 'there is a new model out' ..... there are very few brands that have quite the same brand-loyalty as Apple. Problems with the antennae ? People still buy it..... Handsets scratched in the box ? the same. If that had been an HTC or a Sony it would have died a very quick death. Its obviously been an era of very clever marketing by Apple but there is a percentage of its clientelle that will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. I know a few personally.

With Android (maybe excluding the avid 'Galaxy' brigade) people tend to swap and change between handset makers. Find what model is best for them.

I don't know if that many people upgrade every year. Even if they do, I suppose a phone will do new things that a fridge wouldn't.

With things like the antenna or the scratches, I think most people would realise that they were perhaps overblown in the media. People don't stop buying BMWs because they've read about a few that have broken down.

Even if people do buy a lot of Apple stuff, there is an assumption made by some that they do because they are doing so blindly, out of some misplaced fanaticism. It may just be because they like the products, and have had good experiences with them.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

Its called the halo effect something jobs cultivated over many years, that burning desire to own an apple product. hats off to him as well as he did it brilliantly to the point apple for the lay person is not only thought of as quality but also the best you can buy.

I even had a relatively (or at least i thought) savvy friend who wanted some advice in buying a new PC. he was convinced that buying an apple PC meant getting something that was better on all levels and it was difficult explaining that it is the same on the inside to any PC, he just found that hard to understand that the extra cost didn't mean better.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't sound at all like a bunch of paranoid conspiracy nuts.
    Well, they are certainly not those 'Apple zombies' that the NSA chief was on about. Me, I prefer to have choice and also control of my hardware, not let the hardware control me.

Could it just be that the 2 types of devices, and 2 types of apps create 2 markets, with the IOS iPhone/IPod store being a 2nd class, iPad store 1st class?

I really do doubt Apple wants to ever sell a 720p or 1080p smartphone that can run HD tablet quality apps. The policy at Apple is certainly 'think small, sell double'.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well, they are certainly not those 'Apple zombies' that the NSA chief was on about. Me, I prefer to have choice and also control of my hardware, not let the hardware control me.

Could it just be that the 2 types of devices, and 2 types of apps create 2 markets, with the IOS iPhone/IPod store being a 2nd class, iPad store 1st class?

I really do doubt Apple wants to ever sell a 720p or 1080p smartphone that can run HD tablet quality apps. The policy at Apple is certainly 'think small, sell double'.
    Is there much point in a 720 p or much less a 1080p display on a 4 inch screen. There wouldn't be much more benefit over the current iPhone screen resolution. Of course they could increase the screen size but that's another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there much point in a 720 p or much less a 1080p display on a 4 inch screen.....
    Yes, 4" is very small but 720p is one of the most common movie formats. At least in moving to 16:9 the iPhone 5 now fills the screen playing videos.

And the iPad Mini there could well benefit there from something better. Apple should switch to 16:10 for tablets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there much point in a 720 p or much less a 1080p display on a 4 inch screen. There wouldn't be much more benefit over the current iPhone screen resolution. Of course they could increase the screen size but that's another matter entirely.

Im guessing a lot depends on the individual users eyesight. I was quite happy with my old N95 to be honest :p

Just dont get the guys here started on the ret**a screen discussion again :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, refusenik DoCoMo in Japan are now paying a massive gamble price for not carrying the iPhone.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/12/docomo-said-to-have-promised-apple-40-of-sales-will-be-iphone

They supposedly signed up to a quota where 40% of all sales have to be iPhones. As much a gamble as those in the EU who had to sell a minimum quota? Choice, is it a mirage?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yes, 4" is very small but 720p is one of the most common movie formats. At least in moving to 16:9 the iPhone 5 now fills the screen playing videos.

And the iPad Mini there could well benefit there from something better. Apple should switch to 16:10 for tablets.

Depends what videos you are talking about. Movies are not 16:9 (or 16:10).

And I hope apple do not touch the screen ratio of the iPad. It is fine as it is.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    pollyuk wrote: »
    it is over 3 times the price of the n4 and a lower spec!

And the wristwatch I'm wearing at the present time is a fraction of the price of a Rolex yet both tell the time, what's you're point?