Philips GoGear Vibe "MP4 Player"

Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, hope this is the right forum for this, none of the descriptions quite fitted perfectly but this one did mention iPods so is closest I suppose!

Yesterday I bought a Philips GoGear Vibe 8gb "MP4 Player" --although funnily enough despite it bearing this full title right there on the box it doesn't actually play mp4s, thankfully I don't care about that!--I am generally happy with it in almost every way except for two small issues;

First off I really hate mp3s being listed by artists, album etc...I listen to recorded talk radio shows from the USA and not a lot of actual music so I always prefer to use the folder view feature if a mp3 player has it so I can choose the files directly and they'll play in the order I have arranged via carefully laid out filenames. Unfortunately this player curiously does not list them alphabetically/numerically by filename, instead choosing to list by track number or, if the files don't have this, then the order in which they were transferred on to the player! A very strange method I have never encountered before on other players. I can just about work my way around this but if there's some easy answer to making it list alphabetically/numerically I'm missing I'd love to know!

Second is a more bothersome annoyance...the volume goes up to "31" maximum which on this player is not the loudest I've ever heard but sufficient enough for me...however when you turn it down below 11 then try to turn it back up past this, the player will stop you in your tracks and ask first if you're sure you want to go any louder. Apparently this is due to EU regulations and the US version of the player doesn't have such a hindrance. The most annoying thing is that if you turn off the player while it's playing with any volume higher than 11, when you turn it back on, it is way down low again, also while you can thankfully change volume when the player is otherwise locked,you still get the warning message going above 11 which requires you to unlock the player just to say "yes I'm bloody sure I want to turn the thing up!".

I hope I've explained these issues clearly enough and would appreciate any advice in erasing them from my life haha! I recognize that I am likely stuck with them and will have to just live with it--as it otherwise is a very good player for my needs--but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone else had the same thing and found a way around it, a mp3 player is pretty vital in my daily routine so I like to have everything exactly the way I like! Thanks for any replies :D