Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    Best episode in quite a while for me.

Cracking guest, Amy was delightful.

And the return of the cross european Car v Public transport race, these are always good fun.

And, a surprise result! It didn't feel as contrived as it can be sometimes - even though it probably was.

I'm sure they work it out roughly time wise and may well get Hammond and May to wait if needed but the one they did in Japan didn't looked faked, you could see the crew in shot when Clarkson pulled into the car park and told him to run up the steps to the Buddah.

I enjoyed it tonight as well, about time we had some totty as a guest,

Must admit I really don't get American muscle cars, they are still at the end of the day poorly made and primitive but they do make an awesome sound. But my god that thing had a small fuel tank as does the Lexus he drove last week.

140 miles between fill ups LOL :)

Nice that Amy is such a petrol head as well. I like the fact she admitted the fact she enjoyed the success in being abl eto own nice cars, far too many in this Country always want to put success down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did he manage to lose while riding a bike compared to running?

Something to do with being "Captain Slow " I guess :)
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did he manage to lose while riding a bike compared to running?

Knowing Captain Slow he probably did 20 minutes of safety checks on the bike before departure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if it had been on Dave. Jeremy did sleep in that episode, though it was, I believe "with a head full of stimulants".

I loved tonight's episode. To me, that's the best episode they've done in years. Mucking around to a minimum, great race, great guest, great stuff about cars.

Best one in years.

Spunk IIRC???
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/mcmerc-slr-to-oslo
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it was :D.

And Hammond was 'hungover' after the night before and he puked over the side of the powerboat.

The Oslo race is my favourite race of them all.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see TG were filming not far from me and Richard and James getting a bus past my home. I really wanted James to win.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man drives car
    people ride on train

Editor works on film

=
    tension for the gullable

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Man can't spell 'gullible'. Etc.
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anielled wrote: »
    He didn't is the simple answer. It's all make believe.

Of course it is, but the feature does endorse the idea of driving very long distances without resting. Would TG stage a boozy night in the pub and then driving?
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is there a price difference? Who needs the eenie meenie when you just choose the cheapest.
    Out of those two though I would have the blue one :p
    There is a small price difference - Subaru is a bit more expensive, but no by much. I own a GT-86 (disclaimer). The parts the cars are built from are the same in most casesl but the Subaru is set up a bit 'harder' than the Toyota - slightly firmer suspension, that kind of thing. Only a slight difference apparently. There's also minor cosmetic differences in the nose. In reality, Jeremy was about right. There's not enough differences to make one better than the other as a car to drive. The main reason I went for the GT-86 in the end was that the nearest Subaru dealer to me was miles away and they arsed about when I asked for test drive. The Toyota dealership was much more helpful. If that's the way they act when they haven't even got your money yet...

The main functional difference, oddly, is in the in-car entertainment kit. The GT-86 comes with a fairly up to date setup with bluetooth connectivity, touch screen controls and (if you pay) built in sat satnav. The Subaru comes with a stereo taken out of a 1982 SAAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Knowing Captain Slow he probably did 20 minutes of safety checks on the bike before departure.
    I suspect it just took him about 10 minutes to put it together, if it's like any folding bike I've seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy "drove" non-stop for the best part of sixteen hours. What kind of safety message does that convey - when we all know tiredness kills?
    The next time I'm driving from Wembley to the San Siro, I'll make sure to take the odd rest break along the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kegsie wrote: »

He was probably naming all the spanners first:D:D
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy "drove" non-stop for the best part of sixteen hours. What kind of safety message does that convey - when we all know tiredness kills?

He had a break on the ferry and because of a smallish fuel tank and the fact he was doing 12miles to the gallon, he would have had to stop to refill a few times as well, certainly would of stopped more than what was shown.
  • Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess what the score of the game was they were competing to watch...

,,, 0-0!

Never mind - it was thoroughly entertaining. The races like this always seem more fun than the ones where they try to wreck each other's vehicle.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really ten years since they did the last public transport vs car one? I could have sworn the race to City Airport was only five years or so ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Is it really ten years since they did the last public transport vs car one? I could have sworn the race to City Airport was only five years or so ago.
    Might be 10 years since they did a race across Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Might be 10 years since they did a race across Europe.

They did the Veyron V the washing machine

The Ferrari V the train

The Aston V the train

They were all some time back, but not 10 years.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »

They also raced a steam train (which is a kind of public transport) to Scotland in 2009

List of the TG races: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Races
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is, but the feature does endorse the idea of driving very long distances without resting. Would TG stage a boozy night in the pub and then driving?

He was stopped for a time on the ferry so could have had a rest.

How do you know that a relief driver did not drive part of the way? Might not have even been filmed as one continuous journey. Even if Clarkson was prepared to drive and work for a long period, there could be problems expecting the crew to do the same with terms and condition, union regulations, H&S etc. As a person in charge Clarkson can make his own decisions but if an employee (or more likely crew member working under contract) had an accident because of fatigue then the Top Gear owners would be in court.
  • Options
    kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking episode that.

Amy was a top guest, she looked amazing too!

Race was top quality - amazed the car didn't win really! Would have done if Jeremy had chosen the right car!
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Only one way to describe that cover ... sublime, simply sublime.
  • Options
    SeverianSeverian Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    He'd probably have won the race if he'd been in one of the cars that May and Hammond were pondering before the start in Wembley. Or even a Jag. If he'd only had to stop once for petrol/diesel ...... Makes me wonder this..

Given that he couldn't break the speed limits by much, if anything, I'll bet that the film crew could have beaten May and Hammond if they hadn't had to wait for J.C. to stop 5 times instead of once for fuel. That would have been shocking.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Nice to see Clarkson being positive about a Toyota.
    He's usually pretty hard on them, and not always for a good reason.

I recall he once had a big moan about how he didn't mind Honda cos there was actually a Mr Honda who was a petrolhead and who started a car company whereas Toyota was just a faceless conglomerate etc.

Erm, yes Jeremy. I guess Kiichiro Toyoda was just a figment of my imagination then.
    (He changed the "d" in his name to a "t" because the word "Toyota", in Japanese, has some connection with good luck - something to do with the number of pen-strokes in the symbols or summat IIRC).

That Toyota is kinda wacky.
    Are we to assume it can really wag it's tail at 30mph?
    While that does sound fun, it doesn't seem very safe. :o
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

the spunk jeremy tried is truly revolting but there is some fruity spunk that's rather nice....thanks for the link just watched the whole race, happy memories...
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode was brilliant.

Entertaining start to finish loved the Mustang too.
This discussion has been closed.