Bring back Spitting Image

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The time is right for this puppet comedy show to come back. Just think, they could savagely send up the politicians we have now, Ed Miliband would look good as an alien and Call Me Dave could be portrayed as an upper crust twit, and also I'd love to see them take on people like Katie Price( her puppet would be really gross) and Kerry Katona. With all the idiot politicians and Z list celebs around to parody, the time has never been better for Spitting Image to return.

Comments

• tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see it make a comeback, but could you imagine all the super-injunctions that would be taken out against it, in these strange times we live in.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The time is right for this puppet comedy show to come back. Just think, they could savagely send up the politicians we have now, Ed Miliband would look good as an alien and Call Me Dave could be portrayed as an upper crust twit, and also I'd love to see them take on people like Katie Price( her puppet would be really gross) and Kerry Katona. With all the idiot politicians and Z list celebs around to parody, the time has never been better for Spitting Image to return.

And what does using tabloid newspaper stereotypes contribute to political debate?

It was very overrated and dragged out far too long. There were enough gags for a couple of programmes but it seemed to go on for ever, I very rarely watched it.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    And what does using tabloid newspaper stereotypes contribute to political debate?

It was very overrated and dragged out far too long. There were enough gags for a couple of programmes but it seemed to go on for ever, I very rarely watched it.

Loosen up, they took the mickey out of everyone. The eighties were a far more politicised time than now and it was nice they sent up everyone from Norman Tebbit as a boot boy to Michael Foot as an eccentric old man.
    I know near the end they were getting a bit short of material and the last series was laboured, but it had been on for ten years.
    Also I'd love to see a puppet version of Katie Price.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps this thread was motivated by seeing it on the Frost on Satire thing last night. I'd agree it would be good to see it come back, especially as I'm now old enough to appreciate it.

But John Lloyd also said in his interview that he thinks Spitting Image had no effect on British politics at all. It doesn't need to contribute to the debate as such, provided it's amusing and not bullying.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's too expensive to make. It costs alot of money to make the puppets and it is time consuming and you also need the performers and impressionists.

If anything they'll produce another animated version like 2DTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's too expensive to make. It costs alot of money to make the puppets and it is time consuming and you also need the performers and impressionists.

I wouldn't mind having 2DTV back as this was very amusing.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

Yeah, 2DTV was cost effective and a standard episode took a few days to make. Animation is probably the way forward.

On a different note, I wouldn't mind it if Dead Ringers came back on our screens.
    How about her 2DTV replica? :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spitting Image tends to be recalled very much in rose tinted specs. There were very good episodes that stick in the mind, but on a slow news week it was very weak. The topical satire was much stronger than the general comedy sketches which were very clichéd.

As Degsy points out, it was very expensive to make - in these days of finite advertising money being spread over hundreds of channels its just not going to happen.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loosen up, they took the mickey out of everyone. The eighties were a far more politicised time than now and it was nice they sent up everyone from Norman Tebbit as a boot boy to Michael Foot as an eccentric old man.
    I know near the end they were getting a bit short of material and the last series was laboured, but it had been on for ten years.

A puppet version of Katie Price might be mildly funny first time but not when you see it doing the same gags week after week.

A one-off programme once a year perhaps but it would be too expensive. Once they have the sets and puppets they would want to use them as much as possible to maximise the profits.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this ... thought it was hilarious and regarding 2DTV whatever happened to that?

regarding spitting image I know Comedy Central Extra were running it a while ago (I presume it was the first series) but have never seen anymore of it again I wonder why?

I wouldn't mind if ITV brought it back even if it was a "yearly" event but I really doubt they would spend money on it .... they probably would rather throw the money to the cast members of TOWIE :rolleyes: but on the another hand since ITV are on a "revival" tour at the moment they may as well give this a second go
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this sometimes. I'll always remember the John Major puppet saying "what are we going to do Norman?". :D I wonder why they axed it for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    There was a CGI version of something similar a few years ago called Headcases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headcases

Not sure why it fizzled out.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is too expensive to make I am afraid :(
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    ITV would not bring it back as that setup doesnt exist any more.

Spitting Image was one of the first casualties of the takeover of Central TV (who made it) by Carlton.

ITV has not done comedy in any serious way since Carlton took over most of ITV.

The other problem is that you would probably have to explain to the post X-factor audience who most of the politicians were as they have no idea.

The other day on Pointless the question was "Name any Labour Cabinet minister form 1997 to 2010"..... "Boris Johnson" said one younger lady.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely no calls to bring it back when Blair and Brown were in power, I wonder why that would be ?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely no calls to bring it back when Blair and Brown were in power, I wonder why that would be ?

I know the search on DS is pretty shite, but a very quick one brings up This one from June 2006;)
  • MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I remember it the first time around and thought the puppets were brilliant although it wasn't always very funny. I agree that many young people today have zero knowledge or interest in politicians but plenty of celebs could be done such as Katie Price and Simon Cowell ( and his waistband!)
    But it would be educational too,as,once the young'uns knew who the politician puppets were,they would actually learn something about them and then you'd be less likely to see some bimbo thinking Boris was in the Labour cabinet!

But I agree,sadly it won't happen. And animation just aint the same.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    I agree that many young people today have zero knowledge or interest in politicians but plenty of celebs could be done such as Katie Price and Simon Cowell ( and his waistband!)

This would not happen if it was on ITV - Cowell would not allow it, and what he says goes.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd gladly see Spitting Image or 2DTV back. Every time my dislike able South African colleague open his mouth I'm reminded of the song "oh I've never met a nice South African":D
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    ITV would not bring it back as that setup doesnt exist any more.

Spitting Image was one of the first casualties of the takeover of Central TV (who made it) by Carlton.

ITV has not done comedy in any serious way since Carlton took over most of ITV.

Before the merger took place, it's Granada that had the majority share of the regions over Carlton. Carlton had Central, Westcountry and HTV.

Granada had Meridian, Anglia, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Border. They did have HTV initially but had to give it up when they wanted the Anglia/Meridian/HTV group (MAI)

Spitting Image possibly may have been one of the first casualities, who's to say? But was it past its sell by date by then. Dont' get me wrong, I loved Spitting Image but didn't they dump it on a late Saturday Night slot towards the end of its run?
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Satirical humour did come back in the form of 2DTV and I don't recall them trying to ban it or anything like that.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's not really gone away. HIGNFY, Mock the Week, even 8-10 Cats to an extent. Then there are the impressionists who got alot of telly work in the naughties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really gone away. HIGNFY, Mock the Week, even 8-10 Cats to an extent. Then there are the impressionists who got alot of telly work in the naughties.

Sad thing is they're all non ITV shows. Surely Simon Cowell must have a sense of humour and knows people want to send him up. However, in such a cut throat television world we have now, Mr Cowell is beyond criticism even if most people think his shows are awful.
  • MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Interestingly, the celebs/politicians at the time were split on whether they liked their puppets and were happy to be sent up on the show. Some wanted to buy their puppet and didn't mind being on the programme, but others, such as Liberal David Steele, who was shown as a tiny weedy little twerp living,literally, in his political partner's pocket (David someone...forget his full name) hated the programme,and his puppet.

But I don't recall ANYBODY suing! They probably would today, sadly,which is another reason why it won't come back.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days, politicians are to similar and bland for impressionists to 'do business'..... I can't see comedy puppets being any different......