Mayweather vs Pacquiao Thread

HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
Forum Member
✭✭
Biggest fight ever? Certainly seems like it. Feels like it anyway!

No doubt, this match will gross the highest PPV buys ever. No doubt, the world will be watching....Used often in sport events, but this really is a 'must watch'.

Personally, i think Pacquiao will win. Seems Floyd is too 'lax. Too TMT and not enough heart.

Who Will Win? 44 votes

Mayweather
63% 28 votes
Pacquiao
34% 15 votes
Draw
2% 1 vote

Comments

• Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a boxing fan but I'll get up to watch this, it's pretty dam huge I guess.
  • itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    Biggest fight ever? Certainly seems like it. Feels like it anyway!

No doubt, this match will gross the highest PPV buys ever. No doubt, the world will be watching....Used often in sport events, but this really is a 'must watch'.

Personally, i think Pacquiao will win. Seems Floyd is too 'lax. Too TMT and not enough heart.
    Really excited for this fight :D
    Only one man ever wanted this fight and that is Pacquiao, all the road blocks Floyd tried to put in front of it happening but now he has run out of traffic cones.
    Pacquiao is all wrong for Mayweather, he may be many things Mayweather but a fool he is not, he knows the workrate, speed and combinations of Pacquiao are a nightmare for him, and that is the reason he has avoided the fight for so long.
    For me Pacquiao will win this fight I have always believed he would win it, Floyd carefully chooses his opponents and I believe the only reason this fight is now happening is because he is now out of opponents and he feels it is a good time to face Pacquiao.
    Floyd wants to match and even surpass Marciano`s 49-0, but he will fall short on Saturday night.
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of either of them, can't be the biggest ever.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    About 5 years too late really tbh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    My heart says Pacquiao but head says Mayweather.

I think Mayweather will conserve his energy for the first couple of rounds and then set about Pacquiao!
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mayweather has worked on strength training so that tells me he wants to knock him out inside 12. It'll be only second time i've ever paid to watch a fight. Couldn't resist this one. Repeats start at 10am so thats earliest I can watch it. Will need to avoid result until then.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time does the fight start then so I can listen on the radio , as not paying sky 20 pounds to watch it
  • mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scuderia92 wrote: »
    My heart says Pacquiao but head says Mayweather.

I think Mayweather will conserve his energy for the first couple of rounds and then set about Pacquiao!

About exactly the same as i feel regarding this scrap.

Mayweather is one of the greatest defensive boxers there is, so many have gone before thinking they knew and had what it would take to get through to him, so far all have failed.

Absolutely love Pacquiao's style but feel its made for Mayweather.

Hope im wrong and that Mayweather is laid on his arse but im struggling to see it.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    What time does the fight start then so I can listen on the radio , as not paying sky 20 pounds to watch it

I think it's due to start around 4.00am UK time.
  • Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't resist just one more comment on this super fight. I have always backed Pacquaio, and said that Mayweather has never faced a fighter with Manny's speed, accuracy, heart and power. The one caveat was whether Pacquaio was declining, and it looks like he's in great shape.

The prediction remains. It's almost always the fighter who trash talks who eventually loses big fights, and FM has been doing some trash talking. Imo, it's a sign of nerves and it's what Hatton did to Mayeather before he was soundly beaten. The better fighter usually just stays calm and confident, and goes on to win.

FM to get exposed on the night by Manny Pacquaio's speed, accuracy etc. FM is GOING DOWN!

Many of FM's opponents have missed wide open body shots against him. They freeze, and then just stand in front of him waiting to get picked off. Imo, Manny won't do any of those things.

Against De La Hoya, Manny was the underdog and destroyed Oscar. Similar against Cotto and the much bigger Margarito. Pressure brings out the best in Pacquaio and FM will try to run, he'll try to hide, but you can't run forever from a whirlwind, and that's what he'll be facing tomorrow. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    With a slight bit of luck ive managed to get the fight for free on Sky so ill try and get up and watch but failing that i will watch it recorded!

I really hope Mayweather gets laid out!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mayweather by UD, i cannot see anything else
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About five years too late in my opinion - it may be the most hyped fight in history but that does not make it the biggest by a long shot.

All things considered Ali-Frazier I is my pick - you read that the entire planet stopped to watch 'The Fight'.

More recently The Four Kings also engaged in several 'Superfights' that had the world drooling with anticipation.

Mayweather will win but I did enjoy a Ring writer's comment about what a young Tommy Hearns would do in today's fight scene. :cool:

'It goes without saying the Hearns would beat Mayweather. He would have iced Floyd, and Manny, and Tim Bradley, and JMM, and Kell Brook, and Keith Thurman, and everyone else in the 147-pound top 10. And everyone in in the 154-pound top 10. And probably everyone in the 160- and 168-pound top 10. He’s the f___in’ Hitman, dude!'
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even in the top 10 of biggest fights ever, even if it is the richest fight ever & arguably the most hyped.

Was a genuine superfight about 5 - 6 years ago, when it should have happened but it's not now, but it's still an intriguing contest nonetheless.

I've always thought that Mayweather had the beating of Pacquiao, but he has slowed down a little bit.

Pacquiao has also lost bit & neither man is in their prime, but, much like Sugar Ray Leonard & Thomas Hearns did in their 1989 rematch; they could combine to create a classic fight, even though both are past their respective bests, although I doubt it.

I'm going with Mayweather Jr by UD.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Floyd wants to match and even surpass Marciano`s 49-0, but he will fall short on Saturday night.

Marciano's record is one of the most overrated, meaningless stats in all of sports
    He was tough, but a very limited, slow, easily hit, crude slugger who was very cleverly and carefully managed.
    Just 6 of those fights were title fights. Kept back fighting complete bums until the good fighters of that era were old.
    He was decked and losing by a mile against old Joe Walcott until he landed the one great punch of his career. A few minutes awat from being soundly beaten by an old fighter.
    I loathe Mayweather, but he is leagues ahead of Marciano in the all time greats list.
    I doubt Rocky deserves to be in the top 100 fighters of all time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even in the top 10 of biggest ever, even if it is the richest fight ever & arguably the most hyped.

Was a genuine superfight about 5 - 6 years ago, when it should have happened but it's not now, but it's still an intriguing contest nonetheless.

I've always thought that Mayweather had the beating of Pacquiao, but he has slowed down a little bit.

Pacquiao has also lost bit & neither man is in their prime, but, much like Sugar Ray Leonard & Thomas Hearns did in their 1989 rematch; they could combine to create a classic fight, even though both are past their respective bests, although I doubt it.

I'm going with Mayweather Jr by UD.

There's two big factors that favour Mayweather now that weren't there five years ago.
    That brutal KO Manny suffered. That kind of KO always takes something out of a fighter.
    Manny isn't hitting as hard as he was.
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    Marciano's record is one of the most overrated, meaningless stats in all of sports
    He was tough, but a very limited, slow, easily hit, crude slugger who was very cleverly and carefully managed.
    Just 6 of those fights were title fights. Kept back fighting complete bums until the good fighters of that era were old.
    He was decked and losing by a mile against old Joe Walcott until he landed the one great punch of his career. A few minutes awat from being soundly beaten by an old fighter.
    I loathe Mayweather, but he is leagues ahead of Marciano in the all time greats list.
    I doubt Rocky deserves to be in the top 100 fighters of all time.
    A lot of people believe Mayweather has also been very carefully managed and avoided dangerous opponents.
    And whether your a fan of what Marciano did or not, it is still a record there to be beaten, I feel it is a disgrace how Mayweather has run away from the Pacquiao fight and the things he has insisted on Pacquiao doing before they could contemplate fighting.
    Forum Member
    Even for this fight to happen manny has had to give in on, Floyd having greater share of the money, agreeing to the blood testing, agreeing to allow mayweather to wear his own custom made gloves, agree to mayweather coming in last in the weigh in, and last on fight night, agree on the size of the ring mayweather wanted
    Only thing Manny was not asked to agree too was having both hands tied behind his back
    I think that tell you who really wants this fight
    Manny is an honerable man, Mayweather is a woman beater
    I hope Manny knocks him spark out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    There's two big factors that favour Mayweather now that weren't there five years ago.
    That brutal KO Manny suffered. That kind of KO always takes something out of a fighter.
    Manny isn't hitting as hard as he was.

Nailed it completely.:cool:

Pacquiao hasn't knocked out an opponent since 2009, which is staggering for a supposed vaunted power puncher.

The old adage in boxing is that power is the last thing you lose, but Manny has bucked that trend.

Most boxers lose their speed first & keep their power, yet Manny, who is pushing 37 still has his speed, but seems to have lost his power.:o:confused:
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pacquiao hasn't knocked out an opponent since 2009, which is staggering for a supposed vaunted power puncher.

The old adage in boxing is that power is the last thing you lose, but Manny has bucked that trend.

Most boxers lose their speed first & keep their power, yet Manny, who is pushing 37 still has his speed, but seems to have lost his power.:o:confused:

He stopped taking steroids?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people believe Mayweather has also been very carefully managed and avoided dangerous opponents.
    And whether your a fan of what Marciano did or not, it is still a record there to be beaten, I feel it is a disgrace how Mayweather has run away from the Pacquiao fight and the things he has insisted on Pacquiao doing before they could contemplate fighting.

Mayweather has been careful but he has gone up through the weights and fought some very good fighters who were not aincient. Nobody's been good enough to cause him to much trouble.
    America was desperate for a white champion, yet Marciano didn't fight for the title until he had 43 wins under his belt to bloat up his record. Valuev was unbeaten for something like 42 fights but wouldn't be in the top 1000 fighters of alltime.
    Calzaghe was another one. Stayed fighting 4th rate WBO fighters for most of his career until the likes of Jones were totally shot.
    Manny has lost 5 times, yet he will deservedly be rated way above the likes of a Calzaghe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About five years too late in my opinion - it may be the most hyped fight in history but that does not make it the biggest by a long shot.

All things considered Ali-Frazier I is my pick - you read that the entire planet stopped to watch 'The Fight'.

More recently The Four Kings also engaged in several 'Superfights' that had the world drooling with anticipation.

Mayweather will win but I did enjoy a Ring writer's comment about what a young Tommy Hearns would do in today's fight scene. :cool:

'It goes without saying the Hearns would beat Mayweather. He would have iced Floyd, and Manny, and Tim Bradley, and JMM, and Kell Brook, and Keith Thurman, and everyone else in the 147-pound top 10. And everyone in in the 154-pound top 10. And probably everyone in the 160- and 168-pound top 10. He’s the f___in’ Hitman, dude!'

Agree with all of this.

In the last 50 years, Frazier -v- Ali 1 is as big as it gets in boxing.

I believe that if you could take that fight from 1971 & transplant it into 2015, it would do five times the numbers this one is doing.

That was the very essence of a superfight.

The only other fights I believe that could be considered to be bigger were Jack Johnson -v- Jim Jefferies & Joe Louis -v- Max Schmeling 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You nailed it as well!:cool::D
    Manny is still very fast but the power has indeed gone confused:
    Amongst all the other 'issues' that ruined Tyson, once he lost his speed his combinations and power went with it, as did his onetime brilliant head and upper body movement.:(
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even for this fight to happen manny has had to give in on, Floyd having greater share of the money, agreeing to the blood testing, agreeing to allow mayweather to wear his own custom made gloves, agree to mayweather coming in last in the weigh in, and last on fight night, agree on the size of the ring mayweather wanted
    Only thing Manny was not asked to agree too was having both hands tied behind his back
    I think that tell you who really wants this fight
    Manny is an honerable man, Mayweather is a woman beater
    I hope Manny knocks him spark out
    Mayweather even protested about Manny's protective cup claiming it would absorb some of his body shots. You can't make this stuff up
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the ring walk is about 4.15am depending on the other fights then when do we expect fight to start?