Options

Has Facebook led to the downfall of ds?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I was a forum member I was a long time lurker and must say over the last year or 2 I've seen the quality of the forum dwindle.

Is this because of Facebook etc?

They have groups (basically threads)
    I personally don't have a Facebook account but I used to have a little inside knowledge on tv shows and sport etc but now ever one I talk to about an upcoming plot twist or a football clubs rumours signing they already know as they "saw it on facebook" .

Do you think the downfall of the forum is due to Facebook?

I was on here a lot a couple of years ago, when I had a period out of work - I'll tell you what, it was a perfect antidote to crashing boredom and the feeling of every day being the same!
    The only reason I stopped posting was that I got work, and didn't have the time to look through the forums anymore. So maybe a decline here mirrors the end of the recession!

Anyway, I came back because I wanted advice on something I knew nothing about, but I knew there'd be DS members with knowledge and experience to help! That's what's good about this place, there's a wide selection of people you'll never meet, but everyone's an expert on something, so its possible to learn from these other people, or read different points of view you hadn't thought of etc

I don't see how you can get any of this on Facebook. You're just interacting with people whose lives and views you generally know about anyway. And Facebook groups seem so boring. I joined one on 70s and 80s music, and literally all it was would be someone posting a photo of Prince or someone and short comments underneath it like 'love him', 'Purple Rain!' or 'what an idiot!' I left the group pretty quickly :D

How can that compete with a forum?!
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on here a lot a couple of years ago, when I had a period out of work - I'll tell you what, it was a perfect antidote to crashing boredom and the feeling of every day being the same!
    The only reason I stopped posting was that I got work, and didn't have the time to look through the forums anymore. So maybe a decline here mirrors the end of the recession!

Anyway, I came back because I wanted advice on something I knew nothing about, but I knew there'd be DS members with knowledge and experience to help! That's what's good about this place, there's a wide selection of people you'll never meet, but everyone's an expert on something, so its possible to learn from these other people, or read different points of view you hadn't thought of etc

I don't see how you can get any of this on Facebook. You're just interacting with people whose lives and views you generally know about anyway. And Facebook groups seem so boring. I joined one on 70s and 80s music, and literally all it was would be someone posting a photo of Prince or someone and short comments underneath it like 'love him', 'Purple Rain!' or 'what an idiot!' I left the group pretty quickly :D

How can that compete with a forum?!

It cannot possibly compete with this forum - because I am on it! :p