Leona Lewis' new album cover (Drastic New Image)

Comments

• TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Release Me wrote: »
    Better then the smug look Leon gave in his. She looks completely stunning in that photo and no amount of jealousy can cloud that.

WTF are you kidding me? Jealous of what exactly? What on earth does Leon have to do with Leona's photo being airbrushed. For the record Leon's photo was quite possibly one of the worst album photo covers they could have used, however still not getting the jealousy angle here. I didn't say it was a bad photo just it was very airbrushed and I wasn't the first to comment on it.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    they have tried to make her look like beyonce
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It's one of those pictures that's not meant to be 'pretty' just memorable and it really works.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I agree on how very airbrushed it is.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looks horrendous!

Can't see this album doing too well tbh. Lets objectively look at her record, the only successes being the guaranteed #1 after winning XF. The guaranteed #1 first proper single and the cover of 'Run'...

Her US record: While she can say she had a US #1 and should be congratulated, after 'Bleeding Love' she's had a #11, #81, #66 and a #50.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Sprogg wrote: »
    She looks horrendous!

Can't see this album doing too well tbh. Lets objectively look at her record, the only successes being the guaranteed #1 after winning XF. The guaranteed #1 first proper single and the cover of 'Run'...

Her US record: While she can say she had a US #1 and should be congratulated, after 'Bleeding Love' she's had a #11, #81, #66 and a #50.

The guaranteed No.1 first proper single doesn't exist. I don't think any X Factor contestant has gone to No.1 with their first proper single before (although it looks likely that Alexandra will). It got to No.1 because it was a brilliant song and if the song was shit then it wouldn't have. Same goes x 1000 for getting to No.1 in America.

Personally, I think that Happy is a bit rubbish but if it has a good video and the live performances are good (and it's pretty likely they will be) then she could crack America again. It probably won't be as big as Bleeding Love but then again neither is the song.
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    Awful lbum cover but looking forward to the songs.

Happy was crap but Stone Hearts is kinda good.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    She looks horrendous!

You honestly think that's objective? :D

Firstly, there is no "guaranteed #1 first proper single". Just ask Steve, Shayne and Leon. Even if there was, that doesn't explain why it did so amazing outside the UK.

Secondly, do you only consider #1 singles successes? If so, lots of artists/bands are megaflops. A #2 and a #5 are still successes IMO.

Thirdly, the #81 in the US was Run which wasn't a single. It was added to iTunes and enough people downloaded it to chart on the Hot 100 which is testament to how great her version of the song is. The #50 is her current single which isn't over yet and still has chance to peak higher.

Oh and nice of you to leave out any mention of Spirit which has sold over 6.5million copies worldwide and is definitely a major success. Album sales are much more important than single sales afterall.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    It's true

Getting a number 1 hit really aint a big deal anymore. Paparazzi only got to number 4 over here but yet it still in the top 40 after 4 months.

Leona's second single stayed in the chart a while even though it got to number 11. I don't know where you got the other positions from but she only released another single in the US and that was I will be. That song was a terrible choice hence why it bombed.

50 for Happy aint a bad start. But you need to remember there is no video and hardly any promo for it at the moment.
    Forum Member
    musicdude wrote: »
    Leona's second single stayed in the chart a while even though it got to number 11. I don't know where you got the other positions from but she only released another single in the US and that was I will be. That song was a terrible choice hence why it bombed.

Yup. Better In Time might have peaked at #11 but it sold over 1.5million copies which is more than some songs that peak in the top 10. It also kept her album selling strong for months and is still played quite regularly in the US on radio.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Album sales of 1.5M+ (which in comparison is more than Lady Gaga) pretty much dented all her post-BL singles sales, so most of those chart positions were achieved solely from radio play on Adult Contemporary stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can safely say her career is over in the US. No biggy. She did well to even have a one hit wonder.

I would say in Leona's case, her first proper single was a guaranteed #1. Why? Because she was undoubtably the best winner of the XF (until Alexandra). Cowell knew this and didn't rush out a crap album like he had done for the previous two winners. Steve and Shane didn't get to premiere their first proper single on the following series of the X Factor, like Leona did. Leon did but failed to get #1 but he was useless. Alexandra will be #1 with 'Bad Boys'. So yes, you do need a bit of talent (and need to be a female soloist, not a wet male ballad bore) but Leona wouldn't have got the sales of 'Bleeding Love' (or 'Run' for that matter) without being propped up by the show that made her...

It's all well and good comparing Leona to the likes of Lady GaGa but Leona doesn't have the 'pizzazz' that someone like GaGa has, this will ultimately be her downfall.

'Happy' is terrible. The lead song of an album needs to be fantastic, look at how the Sugababes, for example, bombed with 'Catfights and Spotlights' after the ill-fated decision to release a cover as the album's lead single? I haven't heard any more of Leona's second album but it's destined to fail with such a dreadful lead song... and if 'Happy' is the best song on the album, she won't get to make a 3rd! :eek:
  • wisecrackwisecrack Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    We can safely say her career is over in the US. No biggy. She did well to even have a one hit wonder.

I would say in Leona's case, her first proper single was a guaranteed #1. Why? Because she was undoubtably the best winner of the XF (until Alexandra). Cowell knew this and didn't rush out a crap album like he had done for the previous two winners. Steve and Shane didn't get to premiere their first proper single on the following series of the X Factor, like Leona did. Leon did but failed to get #1 but he was useless. Alexandra will be #1 with 'Bad Boys'. So yes, you do need a bit of talent (and need to be a female soloist, not a wet male ballad bore) but Leona wouldn't have got the sales of 'Bleeding Love' (or 'Run' for that matter) without being propped up by the show that made her...

It's all well and good comparing Leona to the likes of Lady GaGa but Leona doesn't have the 'pizzazz' that someone like GaGa has, this will ultimately be her downfall.

'Happy' is terrible. The lead song of an album needs to be fantastic, look at how the Sugababes, for example, bombed with 'Catfights and Spotlights' after the ill-fated decision to release a cover as the album's lead single? I haven't heard any more of Leona's second album but it's destined to fail with such a dreadful lead song... and if 'Happy' is the best song on the album, she won't get to make a 3rd! :eek:

trying to sound factual about it but the above is so biased because of your opinion on Leona and Happy. you dont like it - lots do. the album is far from destined to fail. Oh and her US career is over? thanks Meg, when youve time Ill have the 6 lotto numbers please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Don't feed the troll. Facts have been presented to him many times in the past as they are being presented now and he just keeps ignoring them over and over.

It's troll season again. They are starting to come out of their holes again. If you don't feed them maybe they will crawl back to their holes and die ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member

Errr firstly, evidence?:confused:
    Secondly, opinion.;)

EDIT: Oh, you are an ignorant troll. Makes all your points pretty much invalid then.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ladies, purlease. :D I'm not a troll, I'm a highly respected member of these forums. :p It just so happens that I don't think Leona is all that... Now you can go all argumentum ad hominem but I have presented facts to you all and yes a splash of my opinion which is perfectly acceptable. Mark my words, she won't have another US Top 10 hit, nor will she have anywhere near the success she has already enjoyed in the UK.

Fact: All her UK #1's have come from XF performances, the less said about 'Forgive Me', the better. One song was the XF winners single, one was a cover and one was a very well written song that she applied her voice to.

Fact: Apart from Bleeding Love, none of her other singles have been in the US Top 10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Ladies, purlease. :D I'm not a troll, I'm a highly respected member of these forums. :p It just so happens that I don't think Leona is all that... Now you can go all argumentum ad hominem but I have presented facts to you all and yes a splash of my opinion which is perfectly acceptable. Mark my words, she won't have another US Top 10 hit, nor will she have anywhere near the success she has already enjoyed in the UK.

Fact: All her UK #1's have come from XF performances, the less said about 'Forgive Me', the better. One song was the XF winners single, one was a cover and one was a very well written song that she applied her voice to.

Fact: Apart from Bleeding Love, none of her other singles have been in the US Top 10.

Maybe my previous post was a bit personal. Yes your facts are correct, but I do think Bleeding Love went to number 1 on its own back as well seeming as it did remain there for seven weeks. A number one just from an X Factor performance would have only lasted a couple of weeks.
    Forum Member

Is a #2 and a #5 not good? Do #1s only count as successes? Nobody with a brain would expect all her singles to go to #1 and I can guarantee you that every artist would be thrilled to have her track record with every single going top 5 so far.

Who really cares? She's had two big hits in the US which is no easy achievement (yes Better In Time was a hit despite being one place off top 10.) Album sales are much more important than singles and again you fail to acknowledge hers.
    Forum Member

Now I'm going against my own advice of not feeding trolls but I just can't help myself.

saying things like she won't have another US Top 10 hit is a big statement to make, and if she does get one I'm sure you will come out and admit you were wrong ? right ? of course not ;) You will just ignore that fact as you have been doing all along.

Better in Time peaked at #11, one position away from the Top 10 do you really think this is such a big difference, is the line between a hit and a flop really that thin for you ? Anything that doesn't make the Top 10 is a flop :confused:

People are obsessed with chart positions, Better In Time was a big radio hit, it sold 1.5 Million copies more than many songs that reach the Top 10 and helped sell the album as well.

Top 10 doesn't mean a song is a hit. You have to look at how a song performs over time. It is important that Leona does get another Top 10 though, mainly so ignorant people can stop saying that she is a one hit wonder.

The album sold close to 1.6 Million in the US more than any other debut artist in 2008, more than Lady GaGa and Katy Perry both of which had multiple smash hit singles...of course you ignored that fact too. It's all about how singles perform, right ?

My last reply although I regret replying in the first place, I'm doing exactly against my own advice....feeding the troll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Is a #2 and a #5 not good? Do #1s only count as successes? Nobody with a brain would expect all her singles to go to #1 and I can guarantee you that every artist would be thrilled to have her track record with every single going top 5 so far.
    It certainly can be done. Ask Westlife. ;)
    Who really cares? She's had two big hits in the US which is no easy achievement (yes Better In Time was a hit despite being one place off top 10.) Album sales are much more important than singles and again you fail to acknowledge hers.

I have acknowledged her album sales. It was a highly anticipated album so the big sales come as no surprise.. It wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary to have more than one #1 from an album. 'Bleeding Love' is the only #1 she really had from 'Spirit', 'A Moment Like This' was #1 before the album was released and 'Run' wasn't on the original version.

Lady GaGa, for example, has had two #1 singles from her debut album and has sold more copies of the album than Leona. And she has yet to re-release 'The Fame', unlike Leona who went for a second bite of the cherry by re-releasing 'Spirit'.
    mm83 wrote: »
    saying things like she won't have another US Top 10 hit is a big statement to make, and if she does get one I'm sure you will come out and admit you were wrong ? right ? of course not ;) You will just ignore that fact as you have been doing all along.

Oh I will! I stand by my predictions and I will be happy to come back and admit I was wrong if Leona manages any of the following:
    • Gets a US Top 10 Hit
    • If any other song from the second album apart from 'Happy' gets a UK #1
    • If she gets a 4th album
  • wisecrackwisecrack Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    LMAO oh i love how the hatahs demands get revised every time there is a new relase! now its a 4th album! priceless. And why a 2nd #1 from Echo? Is a #2 or #3 from Echo not successful? Is every artist who has never had a #1 but sold consistently a failure? my my, what a twisted logic. she'll never prove herself to some people so why would anyone care if she meets yours and anyone else silly targets. they'll only be changed when she does. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wisecrack wrote: »
    LMAO oh i love how the hatahs demands get revised every time there is a new relase! now its a 4th album! priceless. And why a 2nd #1 from Echo? Is a #2 or #3 from Echo not successful? Is every artist who has never had a #1 but sold consistently a failure? my my, what a twisted logic. she'll never prove herself to some people so why would anyone care if she meets yours and anyone else silly targets. they'll only be changed when she does. :D

Well let me explain why I've set these targets for Ms Lewis :p

'Happy' will probably not be #1.. but once again she'll be performing it on The X Factor and we all know about her storming successes after going on there and the standing ovation she'll envitably receive from Cowell et al.

Name me one pop artist, who is generally seen as successful, who has never had a #1?

And 4th album because her X Factor fuelled sales of 'Echo' will probably mean she'll get a third album. By the time she gets to album number 3 TXF will probably no longer be on our screens so she won't have that luxury holding her up.

And au contraire! If she hits my targets I will be humbled. :)
    Forum Member
    Lady GaGa, for example, has had two #1 singles from her debut album and has sold more copies of the album than Leona. And she has yet to re-release 'The Fame', unlike Leona who went for a second bite of the cherry by re-releasing 'Spirit'.

In which universe did this happen :confused: even before the re-release Spirit sold far more than The Fame. Again as always twisting facts, nothing new from you.

Oh I will! I stand by my predictions and I will be happy to come back and admit I was wrong if Leona manages any of the following:
    • Gets a US Top 10 Hit
    • If any other song from the second album apart from 'Happy' gets a UK #1
    • If she gets a 4th album

Just bookmarked this thread. Should be fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm83 wrote: »
    In which universe did this happen :confused: even before the re-release Spirit sold far more than The Fame. Again as always twisting facts, nothing new from you.

How many copies of 'Spirit' do you think have been sold??
    Forum Member
    How many copies of 'Spirit' do you think have been sold??

Before re-release around 1.8 Million after re-release over 2.8 Million. Around 6.5 Million worldwide.

Again just another example of how you twist facts. Check you facts before posting nonsense.