Options

Losing people close to you

PortnoyPortnoy Posts: 111
Forum Member
Would you want friends and members of your family to go suddenly or with warning?

Is it selfish of me to want prior knowledge of someone's demise? (like terminalz)

Comments

• Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Pros and cons with a sudden death, same as with a death which you know is coming.

Usually a sudden death means your loved one didnt suffer. But you don't get to say goodbye and tell them you love them and you are in shock.

If someone has a long and lingering death, usually they are suffering pain and discomfort, but you do get to tell them you love them and sometimes to be with them when they pass away.

I have experienced both situations.
    I found the sudden loss easier to bear in the long run.

I was heartbroken that I didnt get to say goodbye and that I loved them, but I was comforted that they didn't suffer.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I've had both..my mum had a brain tumour and it was a few months until she died..my dad died walking home from work..he was dead before he hit the ground..his heart went..both died within a year of each other
    with my mother we got to say all we wanted to..with dad we had told him we loved him after mum had died but still never got to say goodbye but glad he knew we cared and loved him..how many teenagers get to tell their parents they love them (I was 16 at the time)
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had both. When my nan died when I was younger, I had no idea she was ill, and when I was told she'd died, I was devastated and wished I'd known and spent more time with her. On the other hand, when my granddad passed away a few years ago, I knew that he was ill, and close to death, and I hated the waiting and waiting for the phone call to tell us he'd passed away. We went to visit him too at his Alzheimer's home, and it was horrible. Both were in pain and suffering in different ways for a long time so it's not quite the case that one went suddenly and the other didn't, but for me, I only knew about one and not the other, so had the chance to say goodbye to one, but not to the other.

I'm still not sure which one I prefer. Knowing or not knowing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portnoy wrote: »
    Would you want friends and members of your family to go suddenly or with warning?

Is it selfish of me to want prior knowledge of someone's demise? (like terminalz)

terminalz???

I have experienced a sudden death and a terminal diagnosis of a loved one.

I wasnt able to say goodbye to my mum who was killed in an accident and at the time felt nothing could be worse than that sudden death, no forewarning, not time to say goodbye...but the opposite of that is knowing the person is dying, in pain, suffering, and that they are waking up every morning to the reality of their death being ever closer...there is no escape from it, for that person - their own mental anguish and the physical decline.

to die peacefully in your sleep, is the most merciful blessing for us all, i think, and to wish anything else for a loved one and in answer to the OPs question, is selfish.
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've experienced both, and both were terrible .I really couldn't choose which was ''best'' .
  • Options
    DeSadeDeSade Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Whirliegig wrote: »
    terminalz???

I have experienced a sudden death and a terminal diagnosis of a loved one.

I wasnt able to say goodbye to my mum who was killed in an accident and at the time felt nothing could be worse than that sudden death, no forewarning, not time to say goodbye...but the opposite of that is knowing the person is dying, in pain, suffering, and that they are waking up every morning to the reality of their death being ever closer...there is no escape from it, for that person - their own mental anguish and the physical decline.

to die peacefully in your sleep, is the most merciful blessing for us all, i think, and to wish anything else for a loved one and in answer to the OPs question, is selfish.

sorry, finger went down a bit instaed= of horizontal

Nausicaa;)
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term sudden death is a bit vague.

My mother passed away, about 30 minutes after being rushed into A&E.

Compared to Mrscee's father, I wouldn't say my mother's death was "sudden", but compared to my father, who went downhill for several days, it was.

On the other hand, my mother was aware she was in trouble, struggling to get up as the doctors examined her, whereas my father was heavily sedated in his last hours.

Trying to decide which is preferable is hard.

I guess what helped me most, in both cases, was being a fatalist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted post

confused.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had both. My dad died suddenly 5 years ago and it was a massive shock to us all. My mum died 2 years ago after being diagnosed with cancer 6 months previously. Watching my mum suffer was just unbearable and didn't prepare me at all for when she died. I still can't even think about it now and my eyes are welling up as I write this.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    I've had both..my mum had a brain tumour and it was a few months until she died..my dad died walking home from work..he was dead before he hit the ground..his heart went..both died within a year of each other
    with my mother we got to say all we wanted to..with dad we had told him we loved him after mum had died but still never got to say goodbye but glad he knew we cared and loved him..how many teenagers get to tell their parents they love them (I was 16 at the time)

Oh you poor thing!, how did you ever get over two tragedies in such a short time and at such a young age?.... i was 25 and 6months pregnant when my dad died suddenly and it took me about 10 years on anti depressants and nerve tablets before i conquered my panic attacks thinking i was going to drop down dead all the time!...... I couldn't get my head around someone being here one minute and gone the next!..... :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sudden is sudden?

When my Nana passed away earlier this year I had no idea she was going to pass, although she fell ill 5 days before.

It felt sudden to me. :(
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My granddad suffered with lung cancer - it was harrowing to watch. So whilst it came as a big shock, hard to accept, or come to terms with when my otherwise quite healthy nan just collapsed and died of a haemorrage one day - I do know what death I'd prefer out of the two.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    How sudden is sudden?

When my Nana passed away earlier this year I had no idea she was going to pass, although she fell ill 5 days before.

It felt sudden to me. :(

That was the same for me. She'd been ill for a while, but I wasn't told, so her death was sudden to me.
  • Options
    MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sudden to me means without prior illness, like my husband, got up one morning as normal but died a few hours later, suddenly......totally shocking and heartbreaking for us all

but.....

I was glad he did not have to suffer the ravaging effects of cancer like my dear father did years earlier, which was equally heartbreaking to see :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portnoy wrote: »

Whirliegig wrote: »
    terminalz???
    DeSade wrote: »

...ello, ello, ello, what's all this then?
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    DeSade wrote: »

Nausicaa;)

Are you and the OP the same person then ... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I lost my beautiful 18 year old son in 2008 to cancer. He suffered so much after having a forequarter amputation and colostomy but was truly heroic until the end. I nursed him at home and I was with him when he died at home. My much loved father died this year, a great man who had lived a good life. The two deaths hurt terribly but were so very different. My Dad achieved all he set out to achieve. He had two daughters and a wife who loved him dearly. We all have a time to go.....his life and achievements made his passing easier to accept. My sons passing is harder to deal with but in his short life he made a huge impact and for that I am grateful and very proud. I will always try to remain positive, that is my sons legacy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I may have to change my name to 'Threadkiller' !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I may have to change my name to 'Threadkiller' !!

I killed it before you did ... you just humped the carcass :(:o:D

Your post was very poignant :(, i jus think this thread was falling into a pit, hence the stem of replies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh twiglet, no...

I read your post and feel humbled, and sad, for you and your son, and all those who die before their time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I did,,,,,,i didn't mean for it to be a 'beat that' sort of reply. It happened, it is what it is, so I deal with it. That is my mantra and I guess it was my sons too. Just be very grateful for what you have and ignore stuff that is really not that imprortant. We have one life, choose very carefully how you want to live the time you have left. We alll have an end date. I choose to live my life as if it was my last!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I did,,,,,,i didn't mean for it to be a 'beat that' sort of reply. It happened, it is what it is, so I deal with it. That is my mantra and I guess it was my sons too. Just be very grateful for what you have and ignore stuff that is really not that imprortant. We have one life, choose very carefully how you want to live the time you have left. We alll have an end date. I choose to live my life as if it was my last!

That's a pretty good mantra to live by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,687
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter whether you know or not, and for how long you know. When it happens, it's always sudden.

I've had friends and family die both suddenly and after an illness. I honestly can't decide which is worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    emby wrote: »
    That's a pretty good mantra to live by.

Life for some is an expectation, for others it is a gift. If you have a dream to follow make plans now, like I said we all have an end date tick your boxes now. Tomorrow may not be an option. That is a positive outlook so easily misconstrued for a negative outlook. Always look on the bright side..........
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow will be one year since my Gran had a stroke in her own home. It happened as she was getting ready for bed and she wasn't found until the next morning when her carer arrived - so she had been on the floor all night. She was taken into hospital and was there for five weeks until she passed away at the start of January.

I'm glad it wasn't a sudden death and that I got the chance to see and speak to her (even though the stroke had caused her complete loss of recognition and speech.) At one point, I was slightly anxious that she could recover from the stroke which would have been a huge burden on my Mum having to look after her. I wasn't upset when I heard she had died for the above reason.

What saddens me more was that I had called my Gran about an hour before she would of had the stroke to check what she wanted for Xmas - so it was most likely that I was the last person she spoke to :( Whilst in hospital, there was a lot of deliberation from my family as to whether she could recognise us (either visually or verbally.) At times when I visited, I felt I had some form of response from her which comforts me whilst other family members were very defiant that there was no recognition there. If she did recognise my presence, then maybe that links back to me being the last person who she spoke to. Again, it's a theory I like to take comfort in.