David Tennant's voice

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    But that is what happened. If I recall correctly RTD first made the decision that he must sound southern English. And then having already made the decision that he will not sound scottish but will instead sound English he, at some point afterwards, used his imagination to think of an in-story excuse for it. At the point at which RTD decided DT should not use his Scottish accent there would have been no such "reason". RTD thought it up afterwards.

Sorry if that's not to your liking, but it is what happened. RTD said something about avoiding a tour of the regions.

However, at no point has RTD or anyone else said that a Scottish accent isn't good enough or anything like. Simply that at the time they wanted the Doctor to sound Lahndahn regardless of what accent the actor had. Same result, presumably if he'd been from Norfolk, Wales, Somerset or Venezuela.

Fair enough. I probably sound like I'm making a big deal of it, I apologise. If he wanted an English accent and David Tennant could do an English accent, so be it.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    sigsig wrote: »
    It's not that an actor changing his accent is unacceptable, it's the reasons for it. If David Tennant played Winston Churchill, I'd expect him to change his accent. But in this case, I can't see much reason to change his accent. It's not as if his accent is thick Glaswegian.

What about Coronation Streets Stella and Karl, she's a genuine Eastender and he's from Edinburgh (actually he's Burmese:D) yet are both playing lancastrians.

Why make them Lancastrian, why couldn't she remain a Londoner and him a Scot??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    What about Coronation Streets Stella and Karl, she's a genuine Eastender and he's from Edinburgh (actually he's Burmese:D) yet are both playing lancastrians.

Why make them Lancastrian, why couldn't she remain a Londoner and him a Scot??

You lost me at 'Coronation Street' I'm afraid :D
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    sigsig wrote: »
    You lost me at 'Coronation Street' I'm afraid :D

You clearly don't have a wife and daughter who insist on watching it:D
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    When I read that , I heard this