PS4 and BC

13»

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember the Master System Converter for the Megadrive? It would be good if BC on PS4 could be done through an add-on which could slot inside the console for those who want BC in the same way you can slot a HDD into the PS3.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Master System Converter for the Megadrive? It would be good if BC on PS4 could be done through an add-on which could slot inside the console for those who want BC in the same way you can slot a HDD into the PS3.

We could end up with the Playstation equivalent of this:

The future of PS4

:D
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    plastik2k9 wrote: »
    If you take a look at the cost of the PS3 you'll probably see why that would cost a lot more than £50. It's a rather unique processor and is always going to cost a lot to manufacture.

Streaming is surely going to be the only way for PS3 backwards compatibility, price wise. Now I've used Onlive and it's not exactly reliable even on a 10Mb/s+ connection. Arkham Asylum was playable, but Dirt was not; the input lag was too much for a racing game generally, but it had moments where it was fairly playable. Gaikai is much the same with the very limited time I tried it. With the wide range of connection speeds, streaming is going to suck for the vast majority of users.

But including a Cell processor is out of the question unless they charge a premium and absorb some of the cost. Nothing in the leaked specs suggests any kind of Cell capability.

As for ditching Cell in the first place; it's not great to program for according to devs, and in another timeline could've been the death of the PS3 in terms of cross-platform games. They're playing it safe this time, and porting between PS4 and 720 should be almost trivial.

The Cell processor cost $35 three years ago it would cost a lot less now. While there is no reference cost for streaming low latency video, BBC Iplayer costs the BBC about 1.2 p an hour of use per user. But that includes lower bandwith options like radio and is of a high latency . So lets say it costs 2.4p an hour to stream low latency high quality video (That is a very conservative estimate mind) about 4 cents 100 hours of PS3 game streaming would be $4 and 1 thousand hours of PS3 gaming would be $40 or the price of including a cell processor in the PS4.

Once you factor in deaths, crashes and disconnects a game like skyrim or fallout alone would swallow up that cost saving.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    No hardware BC in PS4 confirmed.

They "hope" to have PS3 games streamable over Gaikai "at some future date".

I don't really care but there are going to be some tears before bedtime.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    No hardware BC in PS4 confirmed.

They "hope" to have PS3 games streamable over Gaikai "at some future date".

I don't really care but there are going to be some tears before bedtime.

It's bollocks in my opinion. How can a console that powerful not play previous PS games.
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    It's bollocks in my opinion. How can a console that powerful not play previous PS games.

Power has little to do with it. PS3 has cell processor - a reason why many devs hated it. PS4 is x86.

The most high end PC still has trouble emulating the custom hardware of the Sega Saturn. High end PC can't even emulate PS3 and PS4 is low to mid end PC parts with some nice fast RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Power has little to do with it. PS3 has cell processor - a reason why many devs hated it. PS4 is x86.

The most high end PC still has trouble emulating the custom hardware of the Sega Saturn. High end PC can't even emulate PS3 and PS4 is low to mid end PC parts with some nice fast RAM.

I will accept that it won't play PS3 discs, fine, but not PSN content? I don't want to stream it! I want the content I've paid for.

They will have to leave network access to ON on the PS3 forever then otherwise you will lose access to your purchased content.
    Forum Member
    I will accept that it won't play PS3 discs, fine, but not PSN content? I don't want to stream it! I want the content I've paid for.

They will have to leave network access to ON on the PS3 forever then otherwise you will lose access to your purchased content.

Depends on what you mean by PSN. Small PSN games maybe emulated but the digital downloads of retail games is coded the same way as the disc.

They will not have to run the PS4 servers for ever because eventually their streaming platform - and home internet speeds - will be able to serve PS3 games by running them remotely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems calm about this?

Picture the scene... PS4 comes out... they turn off PS3 from their servers... your PS3 dies, so you buy a new PS3 and you have lost your PSN content forever!

I've bought loads on the store because I wanted to build up a collection of digital games, and now they do this! I was convinced PSN content would play back if PS3 discs didn't!

So far, I have no plans to buy a PS4.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Everyone seems calm about this?

Picture the scene... PS4 comes out... they turn off PS3 from their servers... your PS3 dies, so you buy a new PS3 and you have lost your PSN content forever!

I've bought loads on the store because I wanted to build up a collection of digital games, and now they do this! I was convinced PSN content would play back if PS3 discs didn't!

So far, I have no plans to buy a PS4.

Perhaps Sony will provide a way to back up your downloads to external USB/HDD for safe keeping. I see the PS3 servers staying alive for a good while though along with the PS+ subscription as a budget alternative.

PSN content won't play back since it was designed for the PS3 unique architecture in exactly the same way as retail disks, including everything from games like Wipeout HD, full price games like Infamous and even PS2 emulated games so not sure why you thought there would be a difference. So unless they ask devs to port every game (not going to happen) it's best to keep your PS3 handy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can already back games up now can't you? You can make an image of your hard drive so that if something happens, you can put it on a new hard drive? Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be a bit more happier if they allowed what you suggested. I don't think PSN on a PS3 will be still up and running in 2 years though.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I think you can already back games up now can't you? You can make an image of your hard drive so that if something happens, you can put it on a new hard drive? Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be a bit more happier if they allowed what you suggested. I don't think PSN on a PS3 will be still up and running in 2 years though.

Yeah you might be able to back up an image of your HDD which is cool, but Sony really need a way to get the games onto USB devices. That way, the games that are on the internet, even via pirate sites are usable since so you own the license to play it you can download it from the net and play it on your machine, that will ensure the life of PS digital content.

360 is designed this way, hopefully PS3 is too which will make a transition like that easy to make, Sony are aware of people's concerns regarding B/C and their downloaded games. I don't see them expecting everyone to just settle for Gaikai in the future, might be wrong.
    Forum Member
    The answer is that they don't turn off the servers, not any time soon anyway.. By the time they do it is hoped they have solved the issue.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they need to be different servers? PSP, Vita share with PS3, why not PS4?

Plus as they're still now, 7 years down the line, supporting PS2, why on Earth would they turn off PS3 a couple of minutes after PS4 comes out?

Ridiculous scaremongering.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    Why do they need to be different servers? PSP, Vita share with PS3, why not PS4?

Plus as they're still now, 7 years down the line, supporting PS2, why on Earth would they turn off PS3 a couple of minutes after PS4 comes out?

Ridiculous scaremongering.

Exactly. The PS3 servers will still be running in 2017/18 at least. I can understand people wanting to keep there digital content and am sure in time you will be able to. Long before the server switch off date.