Fed up with todays music get the old Bealtles LP's out and listen.

2»

Comments

• SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shouldn't matter what people listen to (for the most part) as long as THEY enjoy what they listen too. Admittedly The Beatles are my favourite band but people will discover them in there own time. I'm 19 and i've just brought a copy of With The Beatles on original Mono vinyl. (I already have it on CD) There's something about them that was so enchanting that even the filler sounds brilliant on the albums. I would suggest newcomers to the Beatles start off with Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. Although there all excellent, even Let it Be.

It might seem daft, but because I was born so long after The Beatles break-up + the death of John Lennon, its nice to know my favourite member Paul is still out there touring and making music. :D
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks , never owned anything by them, never cared for that band, ill stick with all the pop princesses
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    SamMcK wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter what people listen to (for the most part) as long as THEY enjoy what they listen too. Admittedly The Beatles are my favourite band but people will discover them in there own time. I'm 19 and i've just brought a copy of With The Beatles on original Mono vinyl. (I already have it on CD) There's something about them that was so enchanting that even the filler sounds brilliant on the albums. I would suggest newcomers to the Beatles start off with Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. Although there all excellent, even Let it Be.

It might seem daft, but because I was born so long after The Beatles break-up + the death of John Lennon, its nice to know my favourite member Paul is still out there touring and making music. :D

His new song 'New' is a bloody good. Looking forward to Paul's new album.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    His new song 'New' is a bloody good. Looking forward to Paul's new album.

Thanks for telling me that mate, I was just looking for upcoming McCartney info this morning but didn't hear about the song being available to hear. I'm going to check this out now. :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot stand The Beatles and hate the insinuation that nothing since could or has ever come close. There is a wealth of modern music that is more than equal to or good as you just gotta look for it.

If you can't stand them, why say there is stuff that is only equal to them? To me, there is modern stuff that is way better than them. I know people will turn up to lecture me and try to persuade me that they somehow influenced all the music I like. Even if true, I find this argument ridiculous.

It'd be like me saying my favourite film is (just an example), Inception, and that I'd never seen a film as good, then some monumental bore showing up to tell me how this silent film from the 1800's influenced all the modern films I like. So? Does that mean that is the best, or can things evolve to be more than the sum of their parts? Can't we respect someone for starting something but still think the modern stuff is better?

Mila Kunis wouldn't be here without her grandmother, but that doesn't mean I have to fancy her too :p
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    If you can't stand them, why say there is stuff that is only equal to them? To me, there is modern stuff that is way better than them. I know people will turn up to lecture me and try to persuade me that they somehow influenced all the music I like. Even if true, I find this argument ridiculous.

It'd be like me saying my favourite film is (just an example), Inception, and that I'd never seen a film as good, then some monumental bore showing up to tell me how this silent film from the 1800's influenced all the modern films I like. So? Does that mean that is the best, or can things evolve to be more than the sum of their parts? Can't we respect someone for starting something but still think the modern stuff is better?

Mila Kunis wouldn't be here without her grandmother, but that doesn't mean I have to fancy her too :p

ha ha.. true, but you might have done if you were there when grandma kunis was young! ... same thing.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    ha ha.. true, but you might have done if you were there when grandma kunis was young! ... same thing.

Ah, like it. Good point :D

Though she could have been dog ugly...

I reckon I'd have been more of a Captain Beefheart fan, musically that is :p
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not really into boy bands :D if you ever get bored of the Beatles, there is always One Direction.

It would take One direction a long time to think up something like these two tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNrlecJCNA

and

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

I said equal or as good as. i don't like their muusic but can apreciate the impact they had on popular culture and music to this day. And whilst i feel there has been music since that either equals or is bettr than it. In terms of impact and longevity i would concede defeat and say that no one since The Beatles has ever done what they did to the same degree. but it doesn't mean that good music began and ended int he 60's.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I'm not a 60s snob at all but two things about that list and I like most of those artists (not Joss Stone).

One, good artists yes but all a bit retro (not necessarily a bad thing but not innovators and surprised you didn't mention Amy Winehouse or Adele). Two, really could any of them touch the garments of Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin or Tina Turner?
    Well the newer artists are innovators not in the sense of style but that most of those mentioned write their own material (Adele, Lianne and Amy). Dusty and Aretha did not. It's difficult to write anything today that doesn't borrow from some style or other in the recent or distant past, so you could say that just about every artist is retro to an extent.

Dusty and Aretha threw down the gauntlet for future white and black female soul singers. Aretha was inspired by gospel artists like Etta James. Dusty was inspired by anything Motown. Had the modern soul artists been around the same time as Dusty, Aretha etc, maybe they'd have had as big an impact.It's impossible to know really. Can't agree about Joss Stone. She's fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2Wch10W3k
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    It would take One direction a long time to think up something like these two tracks.

and

Now come on, you are giving to much credit to One Direction, as if they are allowed of thinking up anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Well the newer artists are innovators not in the sense of style but that most of those mentioned write their own material (Adele, Lianne and Amy). Dusty and Aretha did not. It's difficult to write anything today that doesn't borrow from some style or other in the recent or distant past, so you could say that just about every artist is retro to an extent.

Dusty and Aretha threw down the gauntlet for future white and black female soul singers. Aretha was inspired by gospel artists like Etta James. Dusty was inspired by anything Motown. Had the modern soul artists been around the same time as Dusty, Aretha etc, maybe they'd have had as big an impact.It's impossible to know really. Can't agree about Joss Stone. She's fantastic

you make good points about aretha and dusty... but i too cant agree about joss stone, true she has the sound, the tone, but it lacks passion, understanding, believability, and its those qualities, and qualities like them that made dusty and aretha great.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

I agree with you that it is more difficult and all art borrows/builds on its antecedents. Amy tried to put her own stamp on things more than Adele or Joss Stone but she still borrows.

I was thinking more that there are artists who might not have fitted in as well with the 60s music culture but who have innovated and are not as obviously retro e.g. Kate Bush, Bjork, Gaga, Rihanna (surprise, surprise), Azealia Banks, Ellie Goulding even.

Maybe things are not that bad?
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young people of today should be made to lsten to old Beatles LP's like Please please Me , Help, Revolver, rubber soul and my favourite Beatles for sale and Abbey Road.
    No they really shouldn't. For the ones who only listen to what is out right now, it wouldn't do any harm to investigate other sounds from before but enforced Beatles listening sounds like my idea of hell.
    Anybody else out there a bit like me or are all good music lovers destined to listen to Rap crap for the rest of or lives.
    Surely any music lovers, good or otherwise will listen to whatever they want? We all have choice. No one has to listen to 'rap crap' as there is plenty of excellent Hip Hop to choose from.
    Its time music returned to 60's music.
    We still have 60s music due to the wonders of recording.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Trouble is that good ad new artists may be we never get to hear of them due to radio playing the same pap over and over and we don't even get to see their CD's because the music shops have shut. Undoubtedly there is some great talent out there but it's all but invisible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Trouble is that good ad new artists may be we never get to hear of them due to radio playing the same pap over and over and we don't even get to see their CD's because the music shops have shut. Undoubtedly there is some great talent out there but it's all but invisible.

.. but do radio stations play 'the same old pap'? radio 1 plays rudimental, plan b, rizzle kicks, naughty boy, aluna george, etc... they arent bad!

(yes maybe im revising my opinion on modern music....a little at least! :p:cool: )
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    .. but do radio stations play 'the same old pap'? radio 1 plays rudimental, plan b, rizzle kicks, naughty boy, aluna george, etc... they arent bad!

(yes maybe im revising my opinion on modern music....a little at least! :p:cool: )

Now check out heart fm or gem.

If i want 80's i go absolute 80's, if i want todays rubbish i go radio 1.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 is completely unlistenable thesedays, awful chav music, juvenile presenters and an obsession with celeb culture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Oh but they are :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Now check out heart fm or gem.

If i want 80's i go absolute 80's, if i want todays rubbish i go radio 1.

heart? gem? they just play old crap... just cheesy mor wedding fodder, ie old crap as opposed to new crap.

...but i dont WANT to listen to 80's music, i did that in the 80's... when i think of 2013, and the things i did with the associated memories, i want music from 2013 to remind me of 2013, not the 80's... 80's music has its own place in my life, so when i hear a track from 81, it has associated memories from 81.
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Radio 1 is completely unlistenable thesedays, awful chav music, juvenile presenters and an obsession with celeb culture.

oh its not just me then... i agree the dj's are juvenile, with their benal banter.. ever heard 'inuendo bingo'? jeez thats the stuff of the playground, utterly moronic, tittering at double entendres that arent actually ammusing except to a child.
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Oh but they are :D

shut it! :p

seriously though, theres nothing wrong with rudemental, plan b, and a couple of others... not that im a fan...far from it, but tbh i cannot say their material and some others is bad. they are trying to create something 'better' then the usual manufactured dross.