Options

I hate Barclays Bank

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I think this thread proves that for each bank there are those who have had endless problems and those who havent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so wats the best bank then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Sarah04 wrote:
    i really dont like the barclay brothers (owners of barclays bank)....... they made me lose my job :(

The Barclay brothers are not the owners of Barclays Bank.

Did you used to work for Littlewoods?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    maimou wrote:
    You will alway look back with HSBC - they are terrible, don't bank with them!
    Having dealt with a another fresh batch of HSBC's incompetence today, I have to agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with First Direct and they closed my account one day without telling me, only found out when i went to get cash out and the machine just took my card and it never came out again.

Called up the bank and they said that i had sent them a letter to close my account.
    Turned out some guy in london had written a letter to close his account, but had managed to put my account number on the letter.

In the end they gave me £50 compensation and opened my account again.

Still with them as never had any other problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alliance & Leicester actually pay you interest.

Which kind of makes up for any potential failing.
  • Options
    GlastoGirlGlastoGirl Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I'm with smile - love their ethical policy, good interest rates and APR's, use the Post office and Co-op plus link machines for high street banking. Been with them 3 years and no problems at all. The only slight stumbling block has been other complanies who wont accept an internet printed bank statement - but thats all I can get!
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate them today.

I set up a standing order for two savings account a year ago and only just yesterday I realized no money was going into my two savings account every month :cry:

I thought I was saving money each month.

That will teach me a lesson and I might have to register for online banking which I don't want to.

They told me it was a human error. :mad:

I told them I want a written apology and to explain how in future how are they going to improve their service so that other people will not go through the same thing.

What do you think?
  • Options
    takeruk2001takeruk2001 Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    So basically after all these posts we can pretty much sum up that all banks are incompetent?
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a current account with Halifax & they pay me £5 a month just to have my wages paid into my account. Free money :D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should check out Handelsbanken. Best bank I have ever been with.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleubean wrote: »
    These type of comments really get my goat! The running of your account is YOUR responisbility. Barclays bank, or any other bank for that matter, cannot stop money coming out of your account for things like Direct Debits and bills as this would cause HAVOC in the economy.
    Yup.
    As for the OP, this sounds very sus. Barclays Bank would never close a customers account for no reason. It makes no sense from a business point of view, Barclays can make more money out of you as a customer than referring you to a debt collection agency.
    It does all sound very unlikely. I've been with Barclays since my student days in the late 80s. Never had any major issues with them. Mistakes can happen and I can see an account being closed by accident but to then have the matter passed to a debt agency and the staff be unable to explain why it's all happening seems very, very unlikely.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »
    I hate them today.

I set up a standing order for two savings account a year ago and only just yesterday I realized no money was going into my two savings account every month :cry:

That will teach me a lesson and I might have to register for online banking which I don't want to.

I told them I want a written apology and to explain how in future how are they going to improve their service so that other people will not go through the same thing.

What do you think?
    Not sure how you can go a year without checking your account(s) and then blame the bank because of an oversight.
    If they didn't know there was an oversight then it's up to you to tell them.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    I hate them today.

What do you think?

Don't you read your bank statements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not sure how you can go a year without checking your account(s) and then blame the bank because of an oversight.
    If they didn't know there was an oversight then it's up to you to tell them.
    Don't you read your bank statements?

A year is not that long.

As I said this will teach me a lesson - To read my statements.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    hardtarget wrote: »
    so wats the best bank then?

That's the wrong question. The correct question is: Which is the best bank branch?

What bank it is is pretty well irrelevant unless you do centralised telephone banking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every bank is going to make mistakes. Its all numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That's the wrong question. The correct question is: Which is the best bank branch?

What bank it is is pretty well irrelevant.

Because it's the individual person who make the errors, not the company?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    The real question is... Why the heck did i just spend time reading 7 YEARS OLD posts????????????? :D
    I wish the very old ones were archived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    The real question is... Why the heck did i just spend time reading 7 YEARS OLD posts????????????? :D
    I wish the very old ones were archived.

:D Because If I created a new thread someone will say why didn't I use google, "there is a thread about this" :rolleyes:

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should check out Handelsbanken. Best bank I have ever been with.

You must be joking about them, biggest bunch of stuck up people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    :D Because If I created a new thread someone will say why didn't I use google, "there is a thread about this" :rolleyes:

:)

You were in a no win situation! lol
    I just hate being caught out because i didnt notice the date till far too late!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've had a Barclays account over 30 years and never once had a problem.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I've got a current account with Halifax & they pay me £5 a month just to have my wages paid into my account. Free money :D

>>>>>

Halifax ! Never again. We went to them in response to their
    'Friendly helpful advice' and were invited to entrust our life savings with them as an investment on their recommendations.
    First thing they did within 48 hours of opening the account was to deduct almost £4000 'fees' which we were never made aware of untill we received their confirmation letter.
    Over the next 5 years we watched helpless as our account went down and down to almost half of what we had paid in. It only started to recover near to the figure we opened the a/c with as it neared the end of the 5 year term, but even then they didnt want to hand me back my cash. In the end I had to threaten to call the police if I did not walk out of their branch office with my cheque ! That was the only way I eventually got back my own money. That Halifax experience cost me almost £28K in lost interest, fees and other losses.

So far as my experiences are concerned Halifax should be
    featured on Watchdogs Rogue Traders !