How many posts does it usually take........

*animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....for you to form an opinion on how you perceive a newbie?

Within the first 10/50/200....or more?

(my first thread - be gentle!)

Comments

• GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One. And once the die is cast it can never be remade. Be warned.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quality that counts, not quantity.
  • *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    One. And once the die is cast it can never be remade. Be warned.

Okay. I'm duly warned.

But, seriously, just one? Isn't that a little harsh? On the assumption that first post isn't just an obvious wind-up, don't you make allowances for newbies to find their feet a bit & suss out the lay of the GD land? Trial and error kind of thing........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not care less what other members think.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay. I'm duly warned.

But, seriously, just one? Isn't that a little harsh? On the assumption that first post isn't just an obvious wind-up, don't you make allowances for newbies to find their feet a bit & suss out the lay of the GD land? Trial and error kind of thing........
    TBH I have trouble tracking posters. Each post on here is like a bright, sparkly new thing to me, untainted by past associations. This is mainly because my brain is addled from historical drug abuse.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I could not care less what other members think.

That's a grounded approach. But it wasn't what I asked.

Everyone forms an opinion on others in here, based on what they see. I just wondered how long it would take someone to do that.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beauty of DS is that you could be viciously arguing with another poster on one thread and simultaneously agreeing with them on another.

I think it's because lack of avatars and signatures keeps egos to a minimum.
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    That's a grounded approach. But it wasn't what I asked.

Everyone forms an opinion on others in here, based on what they see. I just wondered how long it would take someone to do that.

I dont! I hate everyone here equally.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I rarely look at the ID it is the post itself that draws me .......obviously there are times when names jump out for some particular reason but length of 'service' or post counts mean little to me. I try not to be too judgemental and read each post on it's own merits.

Troll posts are usually easy to spot ............sometimes m
    just plain stupid but often amusing in a funny kind of way.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't think post count matters

Someone could be here 5 years but only make about 50 posts or even less
    Someone else could be here a week but rack up 1000 posts

I do think what you put into your posts counts but then your classed as more of as troll than a newbie
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely make a thread because

a) nobody posts on them

&

b) they get deleted

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who gives a monkey's?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    The beauty of DS is that you could be viciously arguing with another poster on one thread and simultaneously agreeing with them on another.

True! I've seen that happening a lot.

Your second point is a very valid one, too. That, plus the fact that, given the membership number here, it's quite easy (especially for a newbie) to get lost in the 'noise' and slip under the radar - unless they're an instantly recognisable WUM, of course.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

TBH I think a lot of forums and life can be like that you can 100% agree with someone views on one subject but couldn't disagree more on another
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    I rarely make a thread because

a) nobody posts on them

&

b) they get deleted

:(

Take heart. This will probably drop like a stone, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Who gives a monkey's?

In the grand scheme of things, not me!

I love it when the old man's well enough to be out swinging his golf clubs, though. Gives me time to post pointless threads. Or 'thread' singular. Can't see me doing it again any time soon.......*hears sighs of relief*...........
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen that sex threads do well on here. anyone who has impotency problems etc gets load of replies & useful tips :rolleyes:
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ani!!! I remember when you first joined, then didn't see you for ages but I stopped posting for a while.

I'm only suspicious of the ones who post new threads then declare how different DS is, then go on to slag off the members :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would depend on the content of the post.

Sometimes it only take one to spot a bullshitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Ani!!! I remember when you first joined, then didn't see you for ages but I stopped posting for a while.

I'm only suspicious of the ones who post new threads then declare how different DS is, then go on to slag off the members :D

Hi Joni;) Yeah, I've hardly been garrulous, have I?

Different circumstances now mean I quite often get a lot more time to mooch about on tinterweb.

As for the newbie 'slaggy' threads/posts, it's all part of the cyberworld ether, I guess. Having been around here a bit more recently, I'm fairly confident that I can suss out the cut of someone's jib within around 20 posts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Who gives a monkey's?
    Monkey13 does ... :rolleyes:
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    I have seen that sex threads do well on here. anyone who has impotency problems etc gets load of replies & useful tips :rolleyes:
    Speaking from experience Jon?;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Newbies tend to start off on a shock post cause they think its funny/controversial, but they soon change
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like me :o
    It's not working :D