Friends Gripes

Comments

• MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw the episode where Rachel "cooks" for Joshua before going to his parents' house because of his fear of the chick and the duck.

When Rachel is shoo-ing the animals out of the apartment with the tea towel, you see a HUGE camera at the end of the set in the hallway.

I think a lot of these issues has come in since the HD/widescreen revolution and the editing isn't as tight as it was first time round.

Always frustrates me though because I LOVE Friends and want it to be perfect!
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Phoebe gets Monica and Chandler the Ms Pacman machine, we see them 'playing' it several times, yet not once is the machine switched on... We see a black screen whenever the machine is shot from the front.
  • Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adored Friends (it'll never get old), my only main gripe was the Ross/Rachel pairing that i hated with a passion. For me they didn't suit each other and Ross tended to (not always but a lot of the time) grate on me. Not only that but their relationship never lasted long enogh for them both to continuely keep sabotaging each others relationships with new people (another gripe for me as i was a huge Gavin/Rachel and don't hate me, Joey/Rachel shipper!) :D both of which were ruined by Ross and his big ego and pettyness! >:().

Anyway one specific gripe was in the episode where Rachel's dad had a heart attack and Ross rejects her for sympathy sex and she gets angry at him. In the episode she says something along the lines of 'with us Ross, it's never off the table' which irritated me as it seemed like a wink to the audience that even the characters knew they'd end up together eventually and knew the show was coming to its end. Rachel didn't know that some other love of her life wasn't just around the corner and that she'd never go near Ross again but that line suggested she did and while it was inevitable they probably would get back together in the end that line kind of ruined it as it practically confirmed they'd reunite in the end. Its only a small gripe but maybe because i wasn't shipping Ross/Rachel it manifested into a bigger irritation than it would have been. :)
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio87 wrote: »
    I adored Friends (it'll never get old), my only main gripe was the Ross/Rachel pairing that i hated with a passion. For me they didn't suit each other and Ross tended to (not always but a lot of the time) grate on me. Not only that but their relationship never lasted long enogh for them both to continuely keep sabotaging each others relationships with new people (another gripe for me as i was a huge Gavin/Rachel and don't hate me, Joey/Rachel shipper!) :D both of which were ruined by Ross and his big ego and pettyness! >:().

Have to stick up for Ross here - Ross had nothing against Gavin/Rachel but i think it was more the point of how much of a hypocrite Rachel was about the whole thing. When she was pregnant and Ross went on a date with the girl from the baby shop, Rachel spat her dummy out and thew a massive tantrum about not wanting Ross to be with anyone. Once the baby arrived she went on a double date with Phoebe (hid it from Ross) and then starting kissing Gavin on the balcony whilst Ross was at home taking care of Emma. Pretty poor behaviour from Rachel.

As far as Joey & Rachel go, Ross eventually got used to the idea (after walking in on them kissing because neither had the decency to tell Ross). It was Joey & Rachel who called things off because they couldn't get it on in the bedroom without it being awkward.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a gripe, but something I found out, according to my friend who is currently doing a tour round Europe, said that in one of the hotels that he was staying at cut out Chandler's "The ebola virus... that's got to suck, huh?" from TOW Two Steaks and an Eggplant. Which makes me wonder whether they would cut it out here if they were showing or have shown it on CC recently?
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm watching on Comedy Central now the episode where Eddie moves in with Chandler and it seems kinda cut in places. Maybe a coincidence?

This episode makes me wonder who owns the rights to Smelly Cat...
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe's dad - extremely weak character, unfunny and poorly written section of the show.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Not a gripe, but something I found out, according to my friend who is currently doing a tour round Europe, said that in one of the hotels that he was staying at cut out Chandler's "The ebola virus... that's got to suck, huh?" from TOW Two Steaks and an Eggplant. Which makes me wonder whether they would cut it out here if they were showing or have shown it on CC recently?

That episode was on just 2 days ago and was shown UNCUT with the Ebola line still included
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Phoebe series 1 and 2: Cute, Naive, slightly scatty hippy chick.

Phoebe series 3+: Complete personality change, cunning, manipulative evil witch that has taken a huge increase in intelligence points and uses them solely for evil scheming.

Worst personality change in history tbh, it's like Ursula secretly swapped with Phoebe and none of her friends noticed...
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phoebe series 1 and 2: Cute, Naive, slightly scatty hippy chick.

Phoebe series 3+: Complete personality change, cunning, manipulative evil witch that has taken a huge increase in intelligence points and uses them solely for evil scheming.

Worst personality change in history tbh, it's like Ursula secretly swapped with Phoebe and none of her friends noticed...

I hated phoebe at the beginning. I preferred her in later series although she's my least favourite of all of them.

The episode with mikes parents was cringe
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darthtatty wrote: »
    When Joeys fridge breaks, he eats everything in it.

why doe he have so much food in it when he's always eating out of Monicas.
    plus why doesn't he just put the food in her fridge?

The whole 'broken fridge' storyline annoys me.

He goes around telling the others to give him $400, I know it was meant to be funny but it wasn't written well.

Agree, I really dislike Joey in this episode, he's very aggressive which is out of character. I don't like the recap episodes (such as TOW the invitations) that they seem to shoehorn into each season.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the recap episodes (such as TOW the invitations) that they seem to shoehorn into each season.

Standard practice in that there America. It saves money and time.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, I really dislike Joey in this episode, he's very aggressive which is out of character. I don't like the recap episodes (such as TOW the invitations) that they seem to shoehorn into each season.

There are few greater sinking feelings in life than when you put a Friends episode on and realise after a couple of minutes that it's a clip show.
  • MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    The theme song.

'No-one told you life was gonna be this way'

later on...

'Your mother warned you there would be days like these'

So, clearly they were told :)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeowls87 wrote: »
    That episode was on just 2 days ago and was shown UNCUT with the Ebola line still included

Why on Earth would it be cut? What would there be to object to? That he said ebola sucks? well...it does.

Besides which Late night talk show hosts are doing ebola jokes every night at the moment.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Why on Earth would it be cut? What would there be to object to? That he said ebola sucks? well...it does.

Besides which Late night talk show hosts are doing ebola jokes every night at the moment.

I didn't say it should be cut, Don't have any problem with the line being left in, was just responding to the question that was asked.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    MrTheD wrote: »
    The theme song.

'No-one told you life was gonna be this way'

later on...

'Your mother warned you there would be days like these'

So, clearly they were told :)

Brilliant :D
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a gripe as such, but if Friends was a Brittish show then people would have reffered to Ross as King Henry VIII when making divorce jokes. It seems like an obvious joke to make
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned before. One thing that always bugged me was the Thanksgiving episode when no one wanted Turkey except Joey so Monica said he would have to eat the whole thing. Why did he try and do it all in one go on one day? After Christmas we have some left but use it up
    over the following days. If Monica was meant to be a chef, surely she could have come up with some way to use up leftovers?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two gripes from the college reunion that Chandler and Ross attended

1. I am surprised that the events of TOW The Memorial Service where not mentioned. I'm sure someone would have said to Ross "I thought you were dead" and made comments about Chandler being gay. For the record, I think that TOW The Memorial Service was the best episode in the last 3 series's

2. If Carol attended the same college as Chandler and Ross, then why wasn't she mentioned at the reunion? Or can we just assume that Carol attended seperately and ignored Ross and Chandler?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Not a gripe as such, but if Friends was a Brittish show then people would have reffered to Ross as King Henry VIII when making divorce jokes. It seems like an obvious joke to make

Henry VIII only divorced twice (Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived).
    Ross was divorced three times i believe.
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 7, Episode 3 "The One With Phoebe's Cookies"

It was on the other day and as I noticed that Jack Geller, Ross & Monica's dad, was talking to Chandler in the gym/spa (wherever they went for Chandler to sit on Jack's lap...) and he said something like "I know what it's like when you try and impress the in-laws. When I first met Judy's parents, I told them I was studying law."

Chandler then asked when he told them the truth.

Jack replies with something like "I didn't. So if you see me giving them legal advice just nod along..."

This almost made me choke on my own rage...

Judy's mother died in the first season (Episode 8 "The One Where Nana Dies Twice" and is confirmed at Monica and Chandler's wedding when Judy says she wishes her mother was there) and as far as I can recall, the grandfather is never, ever, ever mentioned. Not at the funeral, not at any of Ross' weddings or Monica's wedding to Chandler, not at the birth of the twins...never!!

Weird.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    Season 7, Episode 3 "The One With Phoebe's Cookies"

It was on the other day and as I noticed that Jack Geller, Ross & Monica's dad, was talking to Chandler in the gym/spa (wherever they went for Chandler to sit on Jack's lap...) and he said something like "I know what it's like when you try and impress the in-laws. When I first met Judy's parents, I told them I was studying law."

Chandler then asked when he told them the truth.

Jack replies with something like "I didn't. So if you see me giving them legal advice just nod along..."

This almost made me choke on my own rage...

Judy's mother died in the first season (Episode 8 "The One Where Nana Dies Twice" and is confirmed at Monica and Chandler's wedding when Judy says she wishes her mother was there) and as far as I can recall, the grandfather is never, ever, ever mentioned. Not at the funeral, not at any of Ross' weddings or Monica's wedding to Chandler, not at the birth of the twins...never!!

Weird.

That is a good one, However just to be awkward the 'Them' could just be ANY of his in-laws as they may all think that he is a lawyer.....As absurd as that is in itself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    Henry VIII only divorced twice (Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived).
    Ross was divorced three times i believe.

Its the fact that both have many wives that jokes could be made about
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Its the fact that both have many wives that jokes could be made about

Phoebe has had just as many husbands if plots are to be believed.
    there was the gay ice dancer, and the comment regarding marriages in Vegas, and then then doofus at the end.