Options

Attitudes to Death

MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
Forum Member
I am an MA Fine Art student researching attitudes to death/mortality in relation to my work. There has recently been a thread about whether aetheists fear death - and I found that very interesting.

I would like to ask those of you with a religious belief (any faith) about their hopes and fears in relation to death. This is a genuine request. I am not trolling or seeking to incite a flame war between believers/non-believers etc. :)

Any contributions much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice thread OP! I am a spiritual person but I do not belong to an organized religion at the current time. I do believe in God, and that Jesus was a very relevant figure on earth, perhaps the greatest teacher that ever lived at the very least. I believe in an afterlife, however, I do not have a fixed idea of what that will be other than, I believe it will be better than life on earth. There has to be a wonderful feeling of being out of a human body, especially if you are older or have been ill.

I will not speculate on the afterlife only to say I do believe it's eternal. I believe this is a great learning experience here on earth but that our true selves are our souls, not contained in the human body. The human body serves as a vehichle on earth.

I believe the issues you do not work out on earth, will have to be worked out on the other side. I also believe we are given life reviews, and we will feel the things we put others through on the earth, the pain we caused them, the love we filled them with, the anger, and everything else. We will experience this life again, sort of in a 3-D experience and then we will move on to our life on the other side.

I am not entirely sold on the concepts of heaven and hell. I will be very interested to find out someday but I had a near death experience a few years back that made me think about how I treat each and every person in my life. Life is a precious gift and it's easy to forget that. It's temporary, but I believe the soul, is eternal.

I work in the media and have found a lot of "new age" thinking in media people that may surprise the public. I would be very interested to see how others feel about this.
  • Options
    miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm less afraid of death and more afraid of pain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I am not religious but I believe we have souls, who maybe come back in another life. I hope if our souls do continue that we meet with our loved ones in the afterlife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I'm less afraid of death and more afraid of pain.

me too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    I am not religious but I believe we have souls, who maybe come back in another life. I hope if our souls do continue that we meet with our loved ones in the afterlife.

I believe that does happen, I'm not saying I see any loved ones who have died in cats or anything :o but I do 'feel' their presence sometimes.

Forgot to add that technically I am a catholic though I don't go to church much now.