Options

kitchen looks like hospital - help me colour it up

asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
Forum Member
hi everyone,

well i've ordered a new kitchen - beech units with nearly black worksurfaces and i want to tile it - i've decided on the metro brick type tiles and rather than white have decided on cream but it needs a bit of colour to save it looking like a hospital.

i was thinking having 2 rows cream and a row of pencil thin tile in red then a further two rows of brick tiles above but i'm not sure it'd work :(

the pencil tile comes in a variety of colours pink/blue etc and i'm just not sure what colour would work best. Also the metro tiles have glass ones - i was thinking i could have the odd glass one here & there but again havent a clue what formation i'd put it in?

i'm absolutely useless - help !!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kitchen is monochrome with a splash of red around. Not much, just enough to warm it and give it some life. I like the 'clean' look in a kitchen. My husband was initially really dubious about the whole thing feeling like a hospital, as you say, but I got my way and he's never complained. It always feels nice and bright and clean.

I'd go for a strong accent colour and use it sparingly. Have fun! :)
  • Options
    HamptonHampton Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    If you use an accent colour in the tiling you are limiting yourself to that colourscheme for as long as the kitchen lasts.

Colour fashions change.

My advice would be, keep the fixtures neutral and then have a crazy coloured painted wall or blinds or pictures and accessories to add personality.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Hampton wrote: »
    If you use an accent colour in the tiling you are limiting yourself to that colourscheme for as long as the kitchen lasts.

Colour fashions change.

My advice would be, keep the fixtures neutral and then have a crazy coloured painted wall or blinds or pictures and accessories to add personality.

you're probably right. I was also wondering whether to just have a tiled splashback by the hob or whether to go right round the units - i've noticed in brochures it seems to be the in thing to have a skirting of worktop nowadays? Also, I have appliances on one wall and a sink on the other so on the 3rd wall would you just leave that with no tiles or worktop skirting - i'm not being a skinflint just dont wanna go over the top if i dont have to:(