NFL 2014-15 thread

BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
Forum Member
✭✭
Time to turn the page to the next season as the Super Bowl is in the rearview mirror and the build up to the draft has started in earnest.

A major story heading into the draft broke last night in America where Michael Sam, a Defensive Lineman from Missouri announced he is gay. Sam is a decent prospect and regarded as a certainty to be drafted somewhere in the middle rounds come April.

When he is drafted he will become the first person to be openly gay while playing in the NFL (and the first in any of the four major US sports).

This is being seen as a major test for the NFL which has issues with locker room culture to deal with after last season's issues in Miami. There are already some concerning sounds coming out:
But from a purely football perspective, his decision to come out prior to May's NFL draft will make his path to the league daunting, eight NFL executives and coaches told SI.com.

In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam's draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.

While none of the executives overtly condemned Sam's decision, their opinions illuminated an NFL culture in which an openly gay player -- from the draft room to the locker room -- faces long odds and a lonely path.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140209/michael-sam-draft-stock/

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Time to turn the page to the next season as the Super Bowl is in the rearview mirror and the build up to the draft has started in earnest.

A major story heading into the draft broke last night in America where Michael Sam, a Defensive Lineman from Missouri announced he is gay. Sam is a decent prospect and regarded as a certainty to be drafted somewhere in the middle rounds come April.

When he is drafted he will become the first person to be openly gay while playing in the NFL (and the first in any of the four major US sports).

This is going to be very interesting, I read an article online just before Christmas saying that the NFL and it's teams were not ready for a situation like this just yet.

It'll be interesting to see if his draft stock lowers due to this. My immediate guess on this would be that anyone who might be considering a similar announcement will almost certainly wait to see what (if any) effect this has on the guys draft position.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member
    Very brave decision, all credit to the guy, could make or break his career.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the league has/would issue an advisory to the teams that they must continue with their draft plans and to pick him regardless. True I guess that's meddling but they wouldn't be literally telling a specific team that they must draft him but rather just a blanket "don't stuff this up for us" memo.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it'll matter that much, if he's good enough somewhere will play him, if he's not he's not. I'd be amazed if most in the NFL & the fans aren't pragmatic enough for it if he's helping their team.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I'm not sure it'll matter that much, if he's good enough somewhere will play him, if he's not he's not. I'd be amazed if most in the NFL & the fans aren't pragmatic enough for it if he's helping their team.

Agree in principle... I imagine it'll be discussed, but if he's what coaches want then he'll be picked. His stats make him a mid round prospect but his size means he'll probably be 6th or 7th... or even undrafted. He's just not NFL size for a DE or even a pass rushing OLB.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to the atw podcast and they said that there are going to be Saturday back to back games during the 2nd half of the season and that CBS will be doing all the Thursday games
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Agree in principle... I imagine it'll be discussed, but if he's what coaches want then he'll be picked. His stats make him a mid round prospect but his size means he'll probably be 6th or 7th... or even undrafted. He's just not NFL size for a DE or even a pass rushing OLB.

I don't agree, from everything I've read his stats make him a 1st round pick, his size pushes him down to the 3rd/4th/5th round range.
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Listened to the atw podcast and they said that there are going to be Saturday back to back games during the 2nd half of the season and that CBS will be doing all the Thursday games

There will only be one week with a Saturday double header, in late December. Apparently they are barred from doing Saturday games any earlier than that because if would encroach on College football.

A double dose of Phil Simms every week is pretty hard to stomach.
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »

Will Sky show any Saturday games?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Sky show any Saturday games?

They did last time there were Saturday games (the final game of the Patriots 16-0 regular season was a Saturday night game live on Sky). Plus these two Saturday games are part of the Thursday Night package that Sky have the rights to so I think it's a safe bet that they will show them.
    Forum Member
    They did last time there were Saturday games (the final game of the Patriots 16-0 regular season was a Saturday night game live on Sky. Plus these two Saturday games are part of the Thursday Night package that Sky have the rights to so I think it's a safe bet that they will show them.

Good news. I realise the reason but it's a shame the games aren't on Saturday instead of Sunday.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree, from everything I've read his stats make him a 1st round pick, his size pushes him down to the 3rd/4th/5th round range.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right but this analysis was very similar to my thoughts. I watch quite a bit of college football although don't know as much as the americans... but I just know how much NFL teams covet size and athleticism over just pure stats when drafting players. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/13/michael-sam-film-study-nfl-draft/

I'm not saying I don't think he'll be good... I think he will, I just don't think he'll be drafted that high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »

Saw that on Twitter. I don't want to say anything about it because it's best for people to watch it without knowing what is said.

But it is well worth watching for anyone who hasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There will only be one week with a Saturday double header, in late December. Apparently they are barred from doing Saturday games any earlier than that because if would encroach on College football.

A double dose of Phil Simms every week is pretty hard to stomach.

Thanks, didn't know that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some high profile moves in free agent week

Darren Sproles to the Eagles in a 5th round swap

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Eagles-extend-Darren-Sproles-through-2016.html

Derrell Revis and Brandon Browner to the Patriots

Steve Smith to the ravens

Hakeem Nicks to the Colts

Golden Tate to the Lions

Eric Decker to the Jets

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334267/article/what-we-learned-on-day-4-of-free-agency
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, NFL Free Agency gets pretty dizzying with so many movements in a couple of days. Delivers so much more than the Football Transfer Deadline Day snoozefests we get over here.

I'm liking the look of the Patriots new backfield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, NFL Free Agency gets pretty dizzying with so many movements in a couple of days. Delivers so much more than the Football Transfer Deadline Day snoozefests we get over here.

The 'experts' seem to think it's the Seahawks blueprint :)

Don't know what Bill will think of that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The Raiders have been making some nice moves after losing Veldheer and Houston earlier in the week, with LaMarr Woodley, Justin Tuck and Antonio Smith all coming in to shore up that leaky defence.

Imagine if we added Mack, Incognito and Schaub (if he's released) as well.....We'll be laughing all the way to the playoffs :cool:
    Forum Member

Agree, would love it if they bought in a salary cap in the Premier League although am 99% certain it would never happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julius Peppers to the Packers surprised me

Schaub has joined the Raiders as well on a $11 million contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335885/article/matt-schaub-traded-from-texans-to-oakland-raiders

Michael Vick on a 1 year $5 million deal joins the Jets with Mark Sanchez released
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Agree, would love it if they bought in a salary cap in the Premier League although am 99% certain it would never happen.

Apparently it would be illegal under EU law.

Can anyone explain how the salary cap works in NFL? Is it strictly enforced? Some teams seem to be spending a lot more on wages than others? Plus so signing on fees count as part of the salary cap? I believe Drew Bees was given a huge signing on fee.

Also when someone signs a contract - what does it mean by a part of the contract is guaranteed? Is the rest performance and appearances bonuses?
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a salary cap in Super League?
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Apparently it would be illegal under EU law.

Can anyone explain how the salary cap works in NFL? Is it strictly enforced? Some teams seem to be spending a lot more on wages than others? Plus so signing on fees count as part of the salary cap? I believe Drew Bees was given a huge signing on fee.

Also when someone signs a contract - what does it mean by a part of the contract is guaranteed? Is the rest performance and appearances bonuses?

They have a salary cap in Rugby League.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also have a cap in the Elite Ice Hockey League.