Cosmonauts: How Russia Won the Space Race - BBC 4

DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else watch this? Thought it was great, loads of great footage and even Russian music!

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also really enjoyed it.

Compared to the risk-averse society we live in now the Russuan Space Programme could never be accused of "Health and Safety gone mad"! :D

I can fully understand Sergei Korolev's daughter's bitterness as well. If it wasn't for Khrushchev he would have, rightly, been awarded two Nobel Prizes. One for Sputnik and the other for the R-7 rocket which was used to launch Yuri Gagarin in to orbit.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Really interesting programme, it was a great insight into the lesser known side of the space race.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded this, the Neil Armstrong one, and the one about the only Afghan Astronaut but not watched any yet. Looking forward to viewing.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I recorded this, the Neil Armstrong one, and the one about the only Afghan Astronaut but not watched any yet. Looking forward to viewing.

Same. I now only have 15 hours free on my box. I need to start watching or deleting things.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just love looking at those massive rockets, I'd watch them take off in super slow motion all day! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched as I thought it was a new programme but I'm sure I've seen it before. Brilliant stuff anyway
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who missed it (as I did - failed recording) it's repeated on BBC4 tonight at 10:30.
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who missed it (as I did - failed recording) it's repeated on BBC4 tonight at 10:30.
    or the Iplayer for another 27 days > http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04lcxms/cosmonauts-how-russia-won-the-space-race
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Interesting program. Great footage but nonsense title.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this a few days ago and did like it. It managed to fit quite a lot in. I'm sure the footage where Americans on the street talk about their annoyance/worries about the Russian success has been regurgitated a few times but there was plenty of stuff I hadn't seen.

The title I suppose was giving the Russians the credit for the whole space station idea and how, for now, the Americans rely on their rockets for sending astronauts. Assuming some race is at an end depends on knowing what the finish line is of course. Personally I like the idea of co-operation over nationalistic goals, but I suppose it's unrealistic to think humans will abandon narrow political concerns anytime soon. I'm not sure space exploration has been powered by much more than that anyway.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saoir wrote: »
    Interesting program. Great footage but nonsense title.
    Yes it was pure "bait".
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb programme!
    I learned loads, also amazed that they're still using the R7 rocket even these days : bit like a Porsche 911 eh?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Not mentioned in this documentary but I like the example of the Soviet approach to keeping costs down, where the USA spent millions developing a pen that would write upside down so it could be used in space with no gravity, the Soviets used pencils. :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not mentioned in this documentary but I like the example of the Soviet approach to keeping costs down, where the USA spent millions developing a pen that would write upside down so it could be used in space with no gravity, the Soviets used pencils. :D

Interesting program, also learnt a fair few things I didn't know before.
    NASA and the space pen is a Myth, also mentioned in that article are some reasons why you don't want pencils out in space.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

The only reason they make themselves look cool to people with views like yourself (no offence intended!) is because they didn't and don't give a sh1t about the lives of their people. When you have that kind of outlook it is very easy to keep costs down and build rockets, devices and equipment for a tenth of the price.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was interesting that it was because their first atomic bombs weighed in at five tons, where the American's were a fraction of that, they developed the really big rockets to carry them, which gave them an advantage over the Yanks.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I also really enjoyed it.

Compared to the risk-averse society we live in now the Russuan Space Programme could never be accused of "Health and Safety gone mad"! :D

I can fully understand Sergei Korolev's daughter's bitterness as well. If it wasn't for Khrushchev he would have, rightly, been awarded two Nobel Prizes. One for Sputnik and the other for the R-7 rocket which was used to launch Yuri Gagarin in to orbit.

Risk averse society, well if you're a fighter pilot or Astronaut you're in a very risky business, comes with the territory, was then, still is now.
    As an ordinary punter I don't want bits of scaffolding to come sailing off buildings possibly injuring my, being a random punter isn't supposed to be a risky business.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally space programs just glorify NASA so it was good to have a different perspective I thought.

Of course they may well have got away with more catastrophes because they could cover things up, though they also obviously had very good expertise to use as well. The problem with them and the US is that because they saw it as a race they rushed things when it would have been more sensible to proceed cautiously. Of course with the fall of the Soviet Russia it enabled a more open view of the past for the program. An example of a country that could cover stuff up in trying to catch up is China, according to Wikipedia..

"On February 15, 1996, during the flight of the first Long March 3B heavy carrier rocket carrying Intelsat 708, the rocket veered off course immediately after clearing the launch platform, crashing 22 seconds later. It crashed 1.85 km (1.15 mi) away from the launch pad into a nearby mountain village. According to the official count, it destroyed 80 houses. More than 500 civilians died as a result, according to unofficial Chinese sources."

It would be interesting to have programs on other countries efforts in space, such as China, France, Japan. Getting information from somewhere like China is likely to be difficult though.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russians certainly outdid the USA in the early years but as pictures of their later capsules testify, compared to the up-to-date electronic wizardry the USA fitted in their Apollo modules the late 1960s Ruskie technology was akin to the footplate of a steam train, levers, valves , cogs, gears, and analogue pressure gauges.
    They weren't going transport 3 men 250 000 miles and land on the moon with that old crap.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    The only reason they make themselves look cool to people with views like yourself (no offence intended!) is because they didn't and don't give a sh1t about the lives of their people.
    In a post-war Soviet Union and the sacrifices they went through their attitudes to risk would have been very different to 21st century UK. Give people credit for knowing and allowing for that.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was interesting that it was because their first atomic bombs weighed in at five tons, where the American's were a fraction of that, they developed the really big rockets to carry them, which gave them an advantage over the Yanks.
    One they still have.
    NASA still have to use russian engines for a lot of their rockets as they are simply better. (until they were embargoed over the Ukraine crisis). The russians also invented closed cycle turbos (in engines) that the americans could never get to work.
    The reason the ISS is in such a strange orbit is that (apart to honk-off the americans and make it difficult for the scuttle to reach) was because the russians were the only ones with a heavy-lift rocket that could get it into orbit.

The difference in approach is also interesting. While the americans tend to design a vehicle for one purpose and then design another, almost from scratch, for a different job - the russians have developed and adapted. That's why their Soyuz and recent R7s are so similar to the original models.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The Russians certainly outdid the USA in the early years but as pictures of their later capsules testify, compared to the up-to-date electronic wizardry the USA fitted in their Apollo modules the late 1960s Ruskie technology was akin to the footplate of a steam train, levers, valves , cogs, gears, and analogue pressure gauges.
    They weren't going transport 3 men 250 000 miles and land on the moon with that old crap.

And yet they are still the only game in town when it comes to getting to the ISS, having outlived the space shuttle, which was not the best design health and safety wise.
    If the U.S. had spent a lot more money on the shuttle design ironically they would have spent less in the end without the huge cost of retrofitting and damage to its reputation.
  • DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also just watched "The Spaceman of Afghanistan" very interesting programme also though it's funny how I find it hard to get my head around that the is now an accountant for a local German company and seemingly lives in a very modest house. I understand he had to flee which led to his living in Germany and doing a normal job, but my mind doesn't want to accept Astronauts are just normal people!!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I just love looking at those massive rockets, I'd watch them take off in super slow motion all day! :p

Russian rockets were way more Sci-Fi than the US ones. Still look retro-cool today.

BBC shoulda repeated "Space Race", their excellent dramatisation of the the early days of the US/Russian space programme.

Well done to BBC4 for this prog. Justifying the licence fee yet again.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent documentary and a real trip down memory lane! I still remember being on holiday with my parents as a seven year old lad, and all of us were out in the car on trip somewhere when my Dad pulled over and tuned a transistor radio into the News to listen to the Sputnik signal! Dad must have thought we were heading for WW3!!

Looking forward to the Afghan Astronaut and the one about Armstrong though i think i might have seen that before. I know the guy became a virtual recluse or something odd.

NASA and the space pen is a Myth.
    Neat link from an American source.......naturally! Or as a well known quote goes.....'they would say that wouldn't they'.;-)

However the detail of the finances involved in developing a pen that would work is rather vague other than "reportedly invested $1 million". Nice of the Yanks to offer the pens at the same discounted rate to the Soviets though. Very generous and friendly and all this time here we were thinking they were enemies.

The Cold War must have been a myth all along.