Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Don't think there's been a thread to specifically discuss the album........didn't check though so apologies if there has been........anyway, now it's been out a few weeks everyone's had a pretty good chance to listen enough times to voice a proper opinion..........

So what do you think? For my money, very good album. Trouble is, 'Funeral' was probably the best album of the decade so far IMO, so it sounds a bit churlish when I say I don't think it's as good as their last album........

Still well worth having though. Favourite tracks (at the moment): 'Intervention' and 'Ocean Of Noise'.

I was a bit surprised that 'No Cars Go' was on it........I've had that track a couple of years and this version doesn't sound much different........was it on an old EP or something?

EDIt: Oops, just realised there was another Arcade Fire thread........oh well, chance for anyone who missed that thread (like me, evidently :o ) to discuss the album......... :)

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit surprised that 'No Cars Go' was on it........I've had that track a couple of years and this version doesn't sound much different........was it on an old EP or something?
    Yes, the one with the bluey cover art. I was surprised it didn't get a bigger reaction when they played it live, the Neon Bible version is punchier and the brass and string arrangements are great. But then there's not enough accordion on the new album - Regine barely played it at the gig last week.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've played this album constantly for 2 weeks and I'm going to say something really controversial. :o:o:o

I prefer it to Funeral. It's a wonderful album without a duff track and they've improved on a great 1st album which I didn't think possible. Runs off and hides to avoid the knives and flames coming my way. :eek:
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll get flamed for that Tel.......it's hardly like preferring The Second Coming to The Stone Roses debut............... :D

On the contrary, if you find yourself getting even more out of this album than the superlative first one, then it's win-win, surely?! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    "Windowsill" is probably my favourite track on the album. Whole thing is outstanding with the exception of the very last song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll get flamed for that Tel.......it's hardly like preferring The Second Coming to The Stone Roses debut............... :D

On the contrary, if you find yourself getting even more out of this album than the superlative first one, then it's win-win, surely?! :)

Alright mate. I assumed the popular opinion would be that it was nowhere near as good but I adore it.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote:
    Alright mate. I assumed the popular opinion would be that it was nowhere near as good but I adore it.

Yup mate, Arcade Fire can do little wrong in my eyes.....or ears, rather..... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my ticket to see them at Ally Pally on 18th November, anyone else going??

Woo Hoo.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    yes! and to manchester on 27thy october.
    absolutely no problem getting tickets as well which surprised me.

scared/interested to see them in an arena but fingers crossed they'llbe as amazing as ever.
  • circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Funeral, but I thought Neon Bible was, for the most part, pretty poor.
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them both, but think Neon Bible is far more consistent than "Funeral" and for my money is far better.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Bible is good but Funeral is absolutely brilliant from start to finish and one of the best albums of recent years imo. I find it hard to believe that people can think Neon Bible is a better album but each to their own :).

It warms my little heart to know that I was the first person on here to mention them when I found a few songs on their record company's web site (and promptly imported the album).....and that they actually went on to have the success/popularity/recognition they so obviously deserved. So often it doesn't happen like that....usually it's only the depressingly average 'indie' rock-by-numbers that does well in the UK.
  • SGESGE Posts: 4,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think these are Canadian, aren't they? lol. Gotta to be honest and say I haven't heard the album but the recent single seems to have gone down the Killers road by harking back to the sound of The Boss from the 80s. Nowt wrong with copying the best, I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SGE wrote: »
    I think these are Canadian, aren't they? lol. Gotta to be honest and say I haven't heard the album but the recent single seems to have gone down the Killers road by harking back to the sound of The Boss from the 80s. Nowt wrong with copying the best, I suppose.

Their albums are absolutely EPIC, but that is the only real comparison to Springsteen. They go for a sort of driving repetition which, on some tracks, is absolutely stunning. "No Cars Go" from the new album and "Rebellion (Lies) from the first are two of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    I've played this album constantly for 2 weeks and I'm going to say something really controversial. :o:o:o

I prefer it to Funeral. It's a wonderful album without a duff track and they've improved on a great 1st album which I didn't think possible. Runs off and hides to avoid the knives and flames coming my way. :eek:

I've played the album solidly too. I have yet to hear FUNERAL and i only bought NEON BIBLE out of curiosity but was so pleased that i did.

So much so, that the other week i thought i had lost my cd of it and so after rummaging through my house and car.. i drove off to the supermarket at about 10pm solely to buy a new copy - they had 1 copy, with no price or barcode on it.. so after being 'very polite' to the store staff, they eventually found a code for it and sold it to me. I was happy but slightly sad that i'd lost my first copy of it...

...until 2 weeks later when it turned up again in the already searched boot of my car!.. so now i have an extra copy in case one wears out :)

Oh and i love BLACK MIRROR, NO CARS GO, INTERVENTION and OCEAN OF NOISE.. but there isnt a song on the whole album that i do not enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these are Canadian, aren't they? lol.
    SGE, do you have an aversion to any band that isn't from Sheffield? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delgado wrote: »
    SGE, do you have an aversion to any band that isn't from Sheffield? :p

HaHa! Nope, I was only trying to wind you up, delgado. I reckon maybe with 50-60% success. :D

PS My favourite artist ever is actually from Belfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaHa! Nope, I was only trying to wind you up, delgado. I reckon maybe with 50-60% success. :D
    lol, I don't think it's possible to wind me up about where an artist is from, I can't really see it makes any difference to anything. I think the only time you've wound me up is on the subject of popularity/sales figures ;).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (makes mental note to go back to poularity/sales figures stuff next time). lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (makes mental note to go back to poularity/sales figures stuff next time). lol.
    Swine!!! :D